Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vicenza horsehide or badalassi cowhide?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would not say that this classes as 'common knowledge' even among people who have a particular interest in buying a leather.

Can you please provide a photo of the Badalassi colour change? My issue is I want a dark brown and as far as I have seen there is no dark brown Badalassi.

Do you also have a photo of your Tobacco BR in daylight please so I can get an idea of how the colour has evolved?

Hi Canuck, out of interest do you purposefully ask for such wide arms on your jackets? They look really, really baggy on the three bottom jackets in your photos.
I didn't ask for them. They are just stock styles. In my size (US Medium/EU Large), the sleeves are usually 16" ish (8" flat) around the bicep and 11" ish a(5.5" flat) round the forearm, regular fitted sleeves, regardless of brands/maker. The slim fit sleeves are usually 15" ish (7.5" flat) around the bicep and 10" (5") around the forearm.
I personally do not like slim sleeves they are difficult to live with day to day. Photos don't tell the whole story, wish there is a way to better communicate this through.

FWIW, the first olive green one has about the same sleeves as the bottom three. I try to take consistent photos but I had failed:

Aero A1 009.jpg

Aero A1 010.jpg

This looked bigger in the 3/4 pose but is actually about the same:

Aero Northeaster Cordovan CXL 010.jpg

Aero Northeaster Cordovan CXL 011.jpg

I didn't intend it but photos do look deceiving. But they are more or less the same. Wish there was a way for me to standardize my photos better.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
@Moostyle : I will try to get you a pic of the tobacco later today. I would not say that this one has evolved from its original color in any way yet. I bought it new over the summer, and it hasn’t seen tons of wear. The BR I had in Russet Badalassi did however see a few rain showers and lots of wear. It did some nice color changing, as far as darkening, but I don’t think Russet is the color you are aiming for as far as a dark brown. I’d desrcribe Tobacco as a rich golden brown, and I’m excited to see how it will change over the years.

Moostyle

New in Town
Have had both and now only have Badalassi.
Hi dude great jacket is that the Hooch Hauler? How do you find the leather did it break in ok and does it squeak? ANy feedback appreciated. :)
The jacket in my pictures is an Aero “Buco” Board Racer
Thanks for confirming, I actually meant another posted when I referred to the Hooch Hauler, my mistake. The Buco board racer is sweet though! :)

maikeru81

New in Town
I started this thread back in Apr.2020 I decided to go with Badalassi. I ordered an Original Hercules in Tobacco. It was rather squeaky for about the first week or so, but after that, not much. I live on Okinawa which is a subtropical island in Japan. I received my jacket in October, but really couldn't wear it until mid November. It is comfortable to wear if the temperatur is less than 60F. When I travel to mainland, where it is cold for me, i wear a sweater or wool vest under it and am warm enough. I don't believe it is totally broken in yet, but it is a joy to wear. I am extremely happy with the color, texture, weight, and grain on this leather. I

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face
Here are a couple pics of the Tobacco Badalassi in the shade, and in the sun.. View attachment 402483 View attachment 402484 View attachment 402485
Definitely made my short list after seeing these photos. Same dilemma as the OP. Russet is also beautiful, but here in mid-Michigan I wear leather in all four seasons some years. I love a dark brown jacket for it’s neutrality and ease of matching several pair of boots I own. My jackets are all a bit big now though, after a fifty pound weight loss that’s been gone for a year. I’m confident in purchasing better fitting jackets now, but had to start with a black rider - an essential since my old jacket was ballooning at 45-50 mph. Thanks for the photos! Beautiful jacket… beautiful fit!

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Rightfully so. One of the nicest Aero's I've ever seen.

Edit : typo
As I’m new to the jacket game I have always wanted to try out aero’s bread and butter Horween FQHH. However the badalassi makes it difficult to justify getting one. I figure it’s pretty hard to beat.

Maybe I will get a used fqhh when one in my size pops up.

Moostyle

New in Town
Well guys in the end I may have found the best of both worlds, a veg tanned Japanese horsehide (could be Shinki? Need to confirm) with the badalassi tobacco colouring. In low light it is dark yet in the sun it takes on a red hue. The leather is also substantial yet soft and supple right off the bat.

Attachments

• 20220219_144840.jpg
    20220219_144840.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
  • 20220219_144856.jpg
    20220219_144856.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220219_152300.jpg
    20220219_152300.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 158
  • 20220219_152348.jpg
    20220219_152348.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 146

Moostyle

New in Town
I started this thread back in Apr.2020 I decided to go with Badalassi. I ordered an Original Hercules in Tobacco. It was rather squeaky for about the first week or so, but after that, not much. I live on Okinawa which is a subtropical island in Japan. I received my jacket in October, but really couldn't wear it until mid November. It is comfortable to wear if the temperatur is less than 60F. When I travel to mainland, where it is cold for me, i wear a sweater or wool vest under it and am warm enough. I don't believe it is totally broken in yet, but it is a joy to wear. I am extremely happy with the color, texture, weight, and grain on this leather. I
Photos please? :D

zebedee

One Too Many
I have a russet Badalassi work coat which is great - thick, depth of colour, heavy. I also have a dark seal Vicenza Mariner - which the hide is perfect for. The two hides are not at all similar, but I still think that Vicenza has benefits. I'd pick either it or goat for practicality. Vicenza is really good in torrential rain and warmer in the cold.

It is lighter, very tough and shows really interesting depth of shade if you wear it all the time. It's like a less pebbled, drier-handed version of goat. I think that it is an excellent combination of weight and resilience, and I'm definitely considering the blackened brown for a Plainsman. It's a good alternative to the heavier horsehides or steerhides - it's certainly easier to move in, as is goat.

Commisar

New in Town
IMO...Aero's CXL finish mainly scuffs and easily scratches rather than favorably blending with true desirable patina.
That's because all CXL, except natural, has only a surface level dye to the leather, it's not dyed through.
It does scratch very easily. I’ve found those scratches to be just surface level and actually adding to the character though. But I agree, for being such a rugged hide it’s also somewhat surprisingly delicate.
A bootmaker described CXL as "almost painted leather" as the dye doesn't penetrate very deep. It's also a pretty soft leather so it scuffs easily but those scuffs are easy to buff out with a brush or your fingers.

Natural CXL is undyed and just darkens with age and movement as UV light hits it and the oils in the leather move around.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's because all CXL, except natural, has only a surface level dye to the leather, it's not dyed through.

A bootmaker described CXL as "almost painted leather" as the dye doesn't penetrate very deep. It's also a pretty soft leather so it scuffs easily but those scuffs are easy to buff out with a brush or your fingers.

Natural CXL is undyed and just darkens with age and movement as UV light hits it and the oils in the leather move around.

You’re responding to years old posts, including one from someone who has passed away. We know how CXL is produced and how it behaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21