Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vicenza leather in new Aero is inconsistent

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My new Himel jacket has different sections that have different grain/feel to them and I honestly LOVE that about it. It gives the jacket more personality and makes it more interesting.

grainy sections:
HcMhPpE.jpg

yhX6IUB.jpg

Smoother sections:
cAgrVYb.jpg

MDk8swF.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
My new Himel jacket has different sections that have different grain/feel to them and I honestly LOVE that about it. It gives the jacket more personality and makes it more interesting.

grainy sections:
HcMhPpE.jpg

yhX6IUB.jpg

Smoother sections:
cAgrVYb.jpg

MDk8swF.jpg

Very nice leather indeed!

Am I saying a blasphemy if comparing it to the russet Vicenza? They look very similar to my untrained eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I actually really like this. Someone obviously took a lot of care to match the thing into a one coherent and very cool jacket. It's almost a two tone.

I seem to recall this appearing on the Lounge a year or so back. In the end the buyer sent it back - was that you?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Very nice leather indeed!

Am I saying a blasphemy if comparing it to the russet Vicenza? They look very similar to my untrained eye.

Not at all. While I personally much prefer this Shinki hide, there are absolutely similarities with this shade of Shinki and russet Vicenza.

Edward

Bartender
No, it IS two-tone! And unless ordered like that, I'd be pissed.

It's certainly a very distinctive look, perhaps one more for the collector with multiple A2s in different contracts than for the guy who just wants one, nice A2. I can appreciate it or what it is, but yes, it's not something I'd want to see arrive if that wasn't what I thought I'd ordered. I would have suspected, given the Japanese market and what we know of Buzz that the marketing would have made a thing of the authenticity of the mismatching, but you don't see many Buzz A2s in these parts.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Firstly, can anyone actually read that label? Buzz Rickson's? Could easily be Diamond Dave could it not? He's made some real mess-ups after all...

But I'm happy to believe that if it is a BR jacket, then BR made it as an exact reproduction of an original jacket they have in their extensive collection because that's how they work (and the fact that the William Gibson range was 'invented' so unusual for them).

Almost every season they have one or two really unusual jackets (like the bright red MA-1, or a deer skin A-2 copy) because they are reproducing (albeit unusual and rare) original jackets.

They can do this because;
1. Japanese enthusiasts are often looking for something 'stand out' unusual, and,
2. Buzz Rickson's have literally millions of dollars to spend on researching new products.

Maybe someone bought this without understanding what they were buying? BR certainly understands what they are making, if someone contacts them, I'm sure BR will be happy to give them an explanation about the original jacket. Anyone speak Japanese?

After all, DD isn't even in possession of the original jackets he is attempting to reproduce, is he?

Next.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Firstly, can anyone actually read that label? Buzz Rickson's? Could easily be Diamond Dave could it not? He's made some real mess-ups after all...

But I'm happy to believe that if it is a BR jacket, then BR made it as an exact reproduction of an original jacket they have in their extensive collection because that's how they work (and the fact that the William Gibson range was 'invented' so unusual for them).

Almost every season they have one or two really unusual jackets (like the bright red MA-1, or a deer skin A-2 copy) because they are reproducing (albeit unusual and rare) original jackets.

They can do this because;
1. Japanese enthusiasts are often looking for something 'stand out' unusual, and,
2. Buzz Rickson's have literally millions of dollars to spend on researching new products.

Maybe someone bought this without understanding what they were buying? BR certainly understands what they are making, if someone contacts them, I'm sure BR will be happy to give them an explanation about the original jacket. Anyone speak Japanese?

After all, DD isn't even in possession of the original jackets he is attempting to reproduce, is he?

Next.
Would it make sense if the Buzz is a hand aniline dye model? LOL.
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/br80451/

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The above jacket is 100% a Buzz. I think it’s their United Sheeplined pattern in “Bronco” horsehide but that may be faulty memory due to endless keyword inundation on the brain from Rakuten browsing.

bn1966

I wouldn't have .wanted the postman dropping that Buzz A-2 around my house (Bank Manager wouldn't have been keen either). But I can appreciate it & the appeal to some peoples taste.

regius

Don't get me wrong, I like the jacket a lot, and I honestly don't care the mismatch since it is under the arm, just want share the same experience to show it is normal to have two totally different leather, again, they know what they are doing.

I sense a toning down of the emotion here, ;) first you said “I don’t like it” now “I like the jacket a lot”. Well, could be liking different aspects of the “jacket experience”. But, I’d say the only true cause for concern would be the discrepancy in thickness, but even that, it’s no indication of longevity because one piece could be puffy while the other could be dense, the dense one will puff up eventually & end up like the other. You pointed out “saving cost” while charging over $1k don’t go together these days, I certainly feel the sentiment, but hey, we do live a romantic, fantastical life here collecting these insanely expensive jackets that we don’t need. The businessmen feed into our craze for this romantic chase of historical authenticity of which “the act of saving cost” is part. Of course, the major historical inaccuracy is THE SOLDIERS DIDNT HAVE TO PAY THAT MUCH (or pay at all) to get an A2 lol, AND, they NEED the jacket! ;)

Hh121

Banned
I sense a toning down of the emotion here, ;) first you said “I don’t like it” now “I like the jacket a lot”. Well, could be liking different aspects of the “jacket experience”. But, I’d say the only true cause for concern would be the discrepancy in thickness, but even that, it’s no indication of longevity because one piece could be puffy while the other could be dense, the dense one will puff up eventually & end up like the other. You pointed out “saving cost” while charging over $1k don’t go together these days, I certainly feel the sentiment, but hey, we do live a romantic, fantastical life here collecting these insanely expensive jackets that we don’t need. The businessmen feed into our craze for this romantic chase of historical authenticity of which “the act of saving cost” is part. Of course, the major historical inaccuracy is THE SOLDIERS DIDNT HAVE TO PAY THAT MUCH (or pay at all) to get an A2 lol, AND, they NEED the jacket! ;)

Well said!!

Of course, the major historical inaccuracy is THE SOLDIERS DIDNT HAVE TO PAY THAT MUCH (or pay at all) to get an A2 lol, AND, they NEED the jacket! ;)
Well - most of them paid with their lives, so I'm not sure I agree on that...
As to the jacket, I'm not changing my mind on it. It's mismatched color panels are awful, which is likely why it was sold to start with.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Christ, no! It's one of those war jackets! I don't wear that stuff.

No, not you, the OP-er. If my memory's correct, there was a bit of intense discussion about whether or not this was 'period accurate' or just crappy QC. I think we all landed on the latter.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Oh, so this A-2 wasn't bought like this directly from a Buzz Rickson's official outlet, but from some guy on eBay?

Hmm, gee that's not suspicious at all lolz.
I think it is the analine jacket linked to above, but it looks like someone bought it and did something to it, and then tried to sell it on eBay. I dunno.

But let's get back to this Aero Vicenza. Did the OP contact Aero, and what did they say?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points