Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victory Rolls!

nyx

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
Maybe I'm imagining things but her rolls look kinda messy to me [huh]

They are a bit, but she also did them in about 30 seconds each, so I applaud it. :eusa_clap With more time, it would look much better.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I am going to try the back roll and the bang roll once my hair grows back.:(
I never thought of using rats because my hair holds well but I think I'll give it a try just to see the difference.

The Shirt

Practically Family
It is so nice to actually see things being done - it explains it so easily. Despite the fact that I would be much more picky about how messy mine turned out - I think it's definitely something to try on my own. My hair is so thin so the addition of the rats would help give me the height and volume I am usually missing. Thanks for posting!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
lyburnum said:
Maybe I'm imagining things but her rolls look kinda messy to me [huh]

Yes, because she's just showing you quickly how to do them. It's up to you to play with your own and get them right. She doesn't even have her hair curled or anything. I think she did a great quicky!
Nikki

jayem

A-List Customer
Thin, oily hair and victory rolls?

My friend is going as a 40s girl for Halloween, like 1940s pin-up. She wants victory rolls, which isn't a problem since i can do them on my hair in no time now. Only problem is, she has very thin, oily hair. This is a drastic difference from the incredibly thick, moisture-craving mop on my head. Her hair takes almost a can of hairspray just to give bouncy curls, so I can only imagine how much to do victory rolls. Any advice on how I can prep her hair, or how to give her the best VR's without using more product than what's actually needed? I told her to stop conditioning her hair for a bit as to dry it out and make it easier to hold a curl, but, anything else?

katiekat

New in Town
I dealt with oil issues when I was younger, and I always found that using a harsher "cleansing" shampoo and minimal - to - no conditioner ended up clearing up a lot of the limp, oily feel. If she's unable, or unwilling to do something to fry her hair (which seems to be the best for curls, sadly) I'd try something to strip the oil from her hair.

Good luck. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, she needs to start dealing with the oil problem first.

Then, tease the hell out of the inside of the rolls to give them some volume and help the hair stick together.

Tatum

Practically Family
I had a similar problem yesterday, trying to get an extra day out of a set when I totally knew better. I tried the baby powder trick to soak up the grease, and it worked really well, and next thing you know, I had more volume that I knew what to do with! I would have taken pics, but I wasn't happy enough with it to get the camera out. I wish I had now!

I put some powder in my hands, then ran my fingers through the front where the shinies were the worst, then brushed it out to tone down the whiteness (I might have used too much), and it was like I had just teased the daylights out of it!

Maybe give that a shot before Halloween? I also highly recommend rats for rolls in thin hair, it is the ONLY way I can do rolls for a particular girlfriend who has very fine, thin hair that refuses to hold a curl.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Tatum said:
I tried the baby powder trick to soak up the grease, and it worked really well, and next thing you know, I had more volume that I knew what to do with! I would have taken pics, but I wasn't happy enough with it to get the camera out. I wish I had now!

Another thing you can do is sprinkle it on a natural bristle brush, and brush it through in sections.

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
Check out Youtube tutorials

I've gotten a lot of great ideas from these videos. Search easy 50's hair or easy Victory rolls and you're sure to get some that'll help. I made some yesterday that used hair rats and it was incredibly easy! Good luck!:)

Odalisque

A-List Customer
God help the fine haired women!
I know your friends pain. Powder it and tease the ever-loving heck out of it. Setting the hair also really helps me. I do really small tight pin-curls and brush them out to super fluffy. It makes all the difference when trying to up fine hair into rolls. good luck :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If it's possible, have her set the hair that will make the rolls perpendicular to the head instead of flat against it, and hold them in place with pincurl clips instead of bobby pins. And yes, plenty of brushing afterward!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Tatum said:
Kitty, you have become like my personal tutor! You are wonderful :D

Glad it works for you! I think it's the best trick in the book. I have to use it at least once a week when I'm too lazy to wash my hair :)

SeriousCats

New in Town
Newbie Victory Curl help?

I'm very new to dressing 40's, but I really want to get involved in it. I just wanted to know, what works the best for you to make nice Victory Curls, hot or cold curlers, or a hair curler, etc.

I only have a hair curler right now, and every time I try to make them they fall down and I look like a poodle! They just won't stay!

So advice would be lovely :D

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Jumping on the need advice wagon. Anyone have suggestions for doing victory rolls in long hair. My hair is to the middle of my back and its impossible to get them to work so far. :p

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
My hair is longer than yours, but it can be done. First, read back throughout this thread and check a few videos.

Then, this is what I do, and it works fine for quick rolls- I don't have a photo but hope I can explain it... I take the side section I want to roll.

Start at the end and wrap the hair around three fingers, making a little skein of hair- just as if you had a small bunch of yarn you needed to bundle neatly-until it's about seven or eight inches from the scalp. Then twist it around the bundle, and use the bundled up hair as a rat for the rest of that section. Roll, and pin in place. Spray with hair spray. It might take a little practice, but it's handy! It can be helpful to have curled first or sprayed the section already.

Did that make sense?

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Oh I wish I would have known this sooner I just had 6 inches cut off two weeks ago to make it more manageable!

~Psycho Sue~

One of the Regulars
you know what i just realized...the rolls go better when parted to my left instead of my right!!! DUH all this time i have been forcing them to go the other direction! If it aint workin right..try the part the other direction. who woulda thunk it. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner