Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Victory Rolls!

Kim_B

Practically Family
Not sure that's what they are really called, but at any rate I found this great tutorial on how to create them, complete with pictures! I hope this will help some of us newbies out!!

howdohair10au.png

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
wow!! that looks so simple!
I've been having so much trouble trying to figure those rolls out:eusa_doh: Everything I've seen so far made them so difficult, especially without photos.

Thanks for posting Kim, I think I'll wear victory rolls next week, after some practise of course:D

Snookie

Practically Family
I always have trouble getting the of the roll to go in toward my head. You know, so it's cornucopia shaped instead of a tube. Something to do with the angle I roll in at. More practice for me!

Grace

Vendor
My hair is cut into an a-line right now, the back is at the nape of my neck, and the front is past my chin. I have betty bangs, too. If I do rolls, what do I do with the rest of my hair?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Grace-You could just wear it in fluffy waves or if it isn't graduated you could blowdry it smooth and wear the ends under in a page boy style.

ChezPez

New in Town
Thank you thank you thank you thank you!
I thought I was hair incompetent because I could never do this right, but I guess I'm just a visual learner.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I had a fringe cut today, thick 60s fringe - but obviously i would still like to go 40s, especially when i start with the living history. So a question about this style and many other where the front is curled, can I put my fringe into victory rolls with the rest of my hair, will it work?? and does anyone else have a fringe which they can magically disapear when it needs to?

edited as just noticed above post, maybe i should go read that!!

Grace

Vendor
Unfortunately, I can't get my bangs to magically disappear. If you find the trick to doing it, do tell!

The only style that I can find that looks good now that I have the bangs I've always wanted is an Audrey style chignon-think Breakfast at Tiffany's. If I wear it any other way I end up looking like a little girl (I'm only 5'2", you know!)

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Oh Bum!

That's going to be a problem then. Oh dear, I didn't think about that when I had it cut! I don't know what exactly made me go with the blunt 60s hair do today, I had been reading about bridget bardot this week and also an article on BIBA and and an interview with the founder on breakfast TV. I had a '60s moment' come over me and just went for it today!

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
Don't despair! Very, very occasionally I see photographs from the 40s where girls have big thick fringes. In fact here's a wonderful one of Marlene Dietrich from 1941. Just put a wave in it, and you're away!
3169107.jpg

You might also be able to CURL your fringe - you see people who had cut the front of their hair short and curled it. See this one of Ann Sothern from '41
3417123.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Grace said:
My hair is cut into an a-line right now, the back is at the nape of my neck, and the front is past my chin. I have betty bangs, too. If I do rolls, what do I do with the rest of my hair?

Leave the bangs or curl them, and curl the back! Is your hair straight or wavy?

Grace

Vendor
It's straight as pin.

I think I had a brainstorm yesterday while doing my hair. I didn't have the time to do anything real fancy, but I thought what if I did one big roll on each side, but have the roll part of it closer to the crown of my head. Does that make sense? If I have a chance, I'll do it today and post a pic.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hello

I just had a couple of quick questions, should the hair be wet or dry, and where can you buy kirby grips?

thanks ladies:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner