Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video---Alan Flusser chatting with Charlie Rose about style.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
There's something about Mr.Flusser that keeps making me think of Jon Lovitz's TV ad where he's sitting in an overstuffed chair hawking sandwiches to overstuffed consumers. "Subway; Eat Fresh!"

Oh, and Rotwang may have been a Mad Scientist, but he knew how to work that look. Check out that belt!

Sefton said:
There's something about Mr.Flusser that keeps making me think of Jon Lovitz's TV ad where he's sitting in an overstuffed chair hawking sandwiches to overstuffed consumers. "Subway; Eat Fresh!"

Oh, and Rotwang may have been a Mad Scientist, but he knew how to work that look. Check out that belt!

Reminds me more of Lovitz's Thespian skits on Saturday Night Live. ;) :p

Brevetti

New in Town
I know I'm late to the party, but I just watched the interview. I purchased Alan Flusser's Dressing the Man a few months ago and have read through it.

Overall, I like what Mr. Flusser has to say. He's right about a lot of things. Dressing well is easier than most men think, and nowadays, there just aren't enough well-dressed role models for men to look up to. Proportion and fit are very important, which I think is a major part of why we love Golden Era suits so much.

That being said, Alan Flusser looks ridiculous in every picture I have ever seen of him. In Dressing the Man, he says that all men should use the four-and-hand knot, as its long, thin structure compliments most men's faces. I would agree with this, if a man was wearing a narrow point collar. If he was wearing a gigantic spread collar like Flusser, a wider knot would look better. In the interview, I was drawn directly to Flusser's face, which is exactly what he was going for. However, to do this, he had to wear a dark suit, dark shirt, and dark tie, all of which looked bad.

Alan Flusser also believes that dress clothing today is the most comfortable that it has ever been in history. To quote Dressing the Man:

"...today's $750-and-up suits are confections of unrivaled lightness, suppleness, and performance. Never before has a man's suit provided him with such comfort along with a sense of well being. Advanced textile technology has enabled the top Italian and British mills to fabricate worsted wools that look and hang like cloths almost twice their weight. Yesterday's coarse wool yarns made tailored clothes feel heavy and boardy; conversely, today's high-count worsted yarns make dress suit jackets as light as cardigan sweaters."

Take it as you will. Maybe for some, lightweight cloth is where it's at, though it enrages me that Flusser would call those long-lasting wools 'heavy and boardy', whatever that means. Secondly, as seen be his suit's dropped shoulders and entire shirt sleeve being uncovered, he also condones low armholes. And that is even more unforgivable than superweight wool. So according to Mr. Flusser, comfort is having to buy a new suit within a year because the wool wears out too quickly, and not being able to shake someone's hand or reach behind his back without his whole suit riding up his neck.

Alan Flusser dresses like a doofus and has some questionable ideas on comfort and quality, but the latter is really only something a Fedora Lounge reader would disagree with. Overall, Mr. Flusser has a lot of good things to say. The book is worth checking out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace