Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video: Horween Leather Factory Tour

cafeblitz

New in Town
I've never had a problem with any of my CXL leather either - great stuff in my book. I also get the "bloom" on my leather; my understanding is that's normal and akin to plume on cigars - a good sign.

And, Sloan, when will you be in town (Chicago)? I'm no expert on the city, having only been here a couple of years, but I would be happy to show you and your wife around to the places I do know.

FredS

One of the Regulars
I've never had a problem with any of my CXL leather either - great stuff in my book. I also get the "bloom" on my leather; my understanding is that's normal and akin to plume on cigars - a good sign.

And, Sloan, when will you be in town (Chicago)? I'm no expert on the city, having only been here a couple of years, but I would be happy to show you and your wife around to the places I do know.

Yup Horweens say the exact same thing about the bloom "Chromexcel has a very high oil/wax/grease content. The whitish waxy look is what we call “bloom”. What is happening is that the wax starts to come to the surface causin
g a cloudy/hazy look. You can very easily wipe this off or brush it to a very nice shine with a horsehair brush. No shoe polish required! Bloom is a desirable characteristic as it means that the leather is properly nourished with greases/oils/wax."

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
@cafeblitz That's really kind of you to offer, but I'm afraid our host - the City of Chicago on this occasion - has packed my girlfriend and my's itinerary to ensure that we don't get to stand still for longer than five minutes and have to eat standing up! In all seriousness, the Horween visit is my one and only bid for freedom during the five day visit!:D But thank you very much!

@handymike Hot Doug's Sausage Emporium like my kinda place!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace