Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Videogames with a vintage feel

tomservo

New in Town
Panzer General

I used to play a PC game called Panzer General. It was set over the course of WWII. You could choose either side and would get X amount of turns on your turn. It was turned based, no realtime, but your units would run out of fuel after so many moves, some of the unit could die, etc. Fun but "old"

farnham54

A-List Customer
For WWII games, you simply MUST check out Call of Duty 2--The shore landings at Pont du Hoc are simply stunning, scaling cliffs, taking the town and all--the best game I've played in a while and it really gave me a new appreciation for the boys who did it.

Grim Fandango, though, is one of my favorites--It's pretty much the only game that I didn't want to finish, because then it'd be over!

Apart from that, does anyone remember "Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra"? It's an oldy, but a goody!

Cheers
Craig

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
My not be 'Golden Era' but certainly from one of my favorite vintage periods is 'No One Lives Forever' so much fun. It's really a funny game. It's also incredibly long. It's very dated looking though, the graphics anyway. It even comes with some really groovy mod music. There's a sequel, better graphics and some improvements in gameplay, but in other ways it's less creative and defineately less funny. The third one should be like a mod Splinter Cell, in my opinion.

I really want Call of Cthulhu, but they haven't ported it to mac. A real shame.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Call of Cthulhu

CoC is a pretty cool game, especially if you're familiar with the stories "The Shadow Out of Time" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Part of it takes place in the great raid of Innsmouth, and there's an encounter with a Shoggoth that's become one of my favorite "boss battles", if it could be called that.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Waaay back in the day, I used to play a really cool and (at the time) scary game called the Colonel's Bequest. It was set in an old stately home in the 1920s and was a murder mystery. Flappers, butlers, Hollywood starlets (all with suspiciously familiar names!) - it was brilliant. It's funny to see the graphics and stuff now, but I bet the story would still be good. I might try and download it actually! :p

Wiki page

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
This is going to sound cheesy, but the Blair Witch series for pc starts at 1941 in volume 1, and traces back in time with each of the three volumes. I like it.
It hardly resembles the movie, to be honest, which may be good news for some (although I thought the movie was more interesting than most horror)

The protagonist is a member of an FBI style paranormal investigation team, and you have to go to Burkittsville to uncover the mystery of some murders there.
Weapons are many, and include shotgun,pistol, Tommygun, and a sort of ghostbuster gun. The night vision goggles just get me killed.

I laugh at horror these days. It's usually just funny to me. I do, however, confess that this game scares the crap out of me. It's designed to be played with all the lights out,and does it's job well. I play with headphones for added self abuse. Well timed surprises, good graphics, great sounds. The only drawback is the sort of lame(but needed) tutorial you have to do at the beginning to get in the game.
Mature rating. Have a high tolerance for horrible background stories and situations.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
BJonas said:
-Mafia- Grand Theft Auto in the 30's, but a lot more respectable. No hookers or cocaine, and everybody's in fedoras and overcoats.

Thank you so much! I didn't even look further at this at first, thinking it was going to be some Sopranos type of thing, but I'll go get it now.
I love the GTA games for the car fun and shooting, but the general filth therein is a drawback. My wife actually brought up recently the idea that they should have a GTA game for the 30's. Glad to know there is one.

BJonas

One of the Regulars
Lee Lynch said:
Thank you so much! I didn't even look further at this at first, thinking it was going to be some Sopranos type of thing, but I'll go get it now.
I love the GTA games for the car fun and shooting, but the general filth therein is a drawback. My wife actually brought up recently the idea that they should have a GTA game for the 30's. Glad to know there is one.

Keep in mind that it's not as open ended as GTA... but still fun in an old '30's way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes