Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viewing the past through our eyes

Christopher

New in Town
I am not certain if this has been done before but I have checked and haven't found a thread for this so forgive me if its been done before. ;)

I went shopping for shoes for walking for my trip soon and had to do EVERYTHING myself. Short of going in the back and finding the shoes in the stock room and ringing it up myself, everything was handled by me including measuring, fitting, finding a shoehorn, tracking down socks to wear with it, et all.

So here is the question.

What one thing do you miss from the vintage age?

My answer, Customer Service.

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Rose-coloured spectacles. That's what i miss most.

bk
lol I was never able to get myself a set of those!

I appreciate politness and manners in society. Who knows if it ever really existed in "the good ol' days" but I would like to think it did. It can give us something to strive towards.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Quality workmanship -- things built to last, and to be easily repaired if something goes wrong. I really don't like living in a world of shoddy disposable goods -- it goes against something very deep in my thrifty New England soul.

lindylady

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Quality workmanship -- things built to last, and to be easily repaired if something goes wrong. I really don't like living in a world of shoddy disposable goods -- it goes against something very deep in my thrifty New England soul.

:eusa_clap

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vladimir Berkov said:
Freedom. A world before everything was illegal or politically incorrect.

Vlad, you are so correct! I've always said, "Liberty is NOT comprised of restrictions on freedom." I am so glad that someone else feels this way too. Let's all work to preserve Liberty, shall we?!!

-dixon cannon

Christopher

New in Town
Dixon Cannon said:
Vlad, you are so correct! I've always said, "Liberty is NOT comprised of restrictions on freedom." I am so glad that someone else feels this way too. Let's all work to preserve Liberty, shall we?!!

-dixon cannon

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Nice answers to this thread by the way. Thank you.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I've never really lived in a time where it was much different than it is today - everything has always been modern and lacking in customer service and class.

[mild ranting]
It would have been nice to live in a time when ladies really dressed and acted like ladies and where most men were gentlemen. It would have been neat to see all the people dressed nicely when they went out, instead of in their pajamas. It would have been nice to have a little mystique to the appearance, instead of showing the world what you were blessed with (shorts and skirts that let your hiney hang out, shirts that actually cover your tummy and underclothes). I would have loved to live in that time where every one was polite and had manners (and used them!) and respected their elders. It makes me a little sad that we have to long for these days gone by, and when we try to put it into practice for ourselves, we're looked upon as odd.

[/rant]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider