Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vince Corvelli, 3rd Generation Hatter...

Vince-Corvelli[1].jpg
I have not seen a thread dedicated to Vince Corvelli, of Bethesda, Maryland. A THIRD GENERATION hatter, he knows loads of techniques, things, and has some equipment or tools that have been passed down from his forefathers. Not many (any?) other hatters can make that claim! Although completely capable of making new hats, he's focusing on top shelf hat maintenance services. As they say in NYC, he "knows from" hats! Now we must convince Vince's son to carry on.

When it came to finding someone to re-create a mid-1950's flat top/optimo intended for my daughter's wedding, Mr Corvelli was the only one I encountered who would/could accept the challenge. Not only was the style unique, but my size, 7-3/4, XLO made the job even more exclusive.

Here's how it all came out....
IMG_3720.jpg IMG_3725.jpg IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4599.jpg IMG_4593.jpg

You can reach Vince at
http://home.comcast.net/~vincecorvelli/info.htm

Thanks, Vince, for a fantastic job on a fun project!!!

Last edited:
Thanks gents!
Don't know if I looked the part, Richard, but I sure had a good time trying!
Mike you are right about having a hatter close by. But, as close by as the internet and the Post Office works for me!
g.durand, my friend, get in line early!
TheDane thank you for your kind words, but I only hoped to intimidate him!

I have been debating with me about the brim of this magnificent hat... Vince tells me that he can shorten the brim, which would then raise the crown height on a one-to-one basis. That is, for every centimeter (or whatever) he takes from the brim, the crown will go up a centimeter. I'm thinking about 1/4 of an inch, to be precise. Thoughts? Opinions, please!
IMG_4984_zps86747fa9.jpg
[/URL]

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe .75 is safer. It's tricky... I had a play in photoshop but my skills weren't up to keeping the head and band in proportion whilst altering the rest.

DesertDan

One Too Many
The only possible problem I can see is that at it's current width the shade falls right at the bridge of your nose, if you shorten it too much you might have to wear it more forward to keep the sun out of your eyes.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Charlie it's hard to lose a debate with yourself but then your often left wondering.......

To the question at hand, you didn't mention how much brim is available to play with but I do think a bit more crown would look good. Personally, I would consider going down to a minimum 2 1/8 on the brim if it's there. But, to be of no help at all it looks good on you as is.

It's like having a battle of wits with the unarmed?!

There is plenty of brim to use, as the width is a generous 2.5". I was thinking about only .25"-.27" brim reduction/crown heightening.

Thanks for chiming in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo