Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vingate Photos of Hair or Clothing, Family or Otherwise

Yixuan

New in Town
wow! Love this idea... i love looking at authentic vintage pictures! I do have a few! Your granny is very beautiful. How come i never see a bad picture of any lady in vintage pictures?!
Just give me a few moments....

100_0029.jpg

That is my mom on the right, and my granny oh the left :D

Yixuan

New in Town
LaMedicine said:
There's a loooong thread of Vintage Family Pics over yonder in The Display Case. There are also a lot of threads with vintage or vintage like pics in The Steamer Trunk.:)

Oops, sorry to go out of topic but is that you in the avatar? You look like a lady from this vintage japanese drama that i saw very many years ago...

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Yixuan said:
Oops, sorry to go out of topic but is that you in the avatar? You look like a lady from this vintage japanese drama that i saw very many years ago...
Yes, it's me taken a few Christmases back :)
The beauty of traditional clothing--in my case a kimono--is that it's easy to look vintagey just by tinkering with hair style :)

Yixuan

New in Town
sorry to hijack the thread- i couldnt tell that it was a kimono!these days i rarely see a picture of any lady with vintage hairstyle in Kimono. Mostly they do the traditional updo when they are in kimono. I dont know what you call that style. But with this hairstyle, you have a everyday-look like youre still in the age where every ladies wear it kimonos as common wear. (haha, im not sure if the Kimono has ever been an everyday wear ever, but thats the case in the drama. I forgot what its called, but its like a biography of this lady who owns a large grocery store chain in her later life)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
You're talking about "Oshin". I believe it was televised in just about every Asian country.
Yes, kimono was daily wear for women until the late 1930s, when the government and the military declared kimonos an extravagance, and prompted women to wear "monpe" style clothing--the women cut their kimono into the top and bottom halves, and attached a couple of strings to tie the top, and remade the botton half into pants. If you watched the entire "Oshin" series, then you've probably seen women dressed this way in the period that covered WW II. After WW II, the kimono was basically relegated to formal occasions rather than daily wear, as there's a clear difference between daily kimonos and formal kimonos.
As for modern kimono, actually, no one wears it with the traditional "Nihongami" style, unless she's a bride. They are mostly wigs these days anyway because that style requires hair that is long enough to reach the waistline. I usually pull my hair back into a chignon or a bun for both kimonos and western clothes.

Yixuan

New in Town
LaMedicine said:
You're talking about "Oshin". I believe it was televised in just about every Asian country.
Yes, kimono was daily wear for women until the late 1930s, when the government and the military declared kimonos an extravagance, and prompted women to wear "monpe" style clothing--the women cut their kimono into the top and bottom halves, and attached a couple of strings to tie the top, and remade the botton half into pants. If you watched the entire "Oshin" series, then you've probably seen women dressed this way in the period that covered WW II. After WW II, the kimono was basically relegated to formal occasions rather than daily wear, as there's a clear difference between daily kimonos and formal kimonos.
As for modern kimono, actually, no one wears it with the traditional "Nihongami" style, unless she's a bride. They are mostly wigs these days anyway because that style requires hair that is long enough to reach the waistline. I usually pull my hair back into a chignon or a bun for both kimonos and western clothes.

Yes it IS Oshin. I didnt see how pretty Oshin actually is until i saw a picture of her in the drama recently. Wow thanks for the information, it is VERY interesting to know. If im not wrong formal kimonos has alot of layers from what i see on this show last time and takes a few hours to wear! No i didnt manage to watch the entire series. :( I had no idea Kimono tops actually existed back then already. I thought its more of a modern thing. Do you usually still wear a kimono or only on special occasions? Do you still live in Japan?? Sorry for the many questions- Im so curious! maybe i should pm you before I get kicked out of this thread!

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Yes, I live in Japan. My daily clothes are western clothes, as are for the majority of women now. I do wear kimonos whenever I have the chance to, not only for formal occasions, but for going out on the town when I feel like it, you know, when feeling like dressing up a little, or for a seasonal event. Post WW II kimonos are not layered in the way they were before WW II, but for formal occasions, we use some "props" to give the illusion of layers.

If you are curious, I've posted a thread in The Powder Room titled Vingtage Kimonos, where I have linked in a couple of albums, one of my mother's old kimonos, and another of me in kimonos. I have posted some details about kimonos in the vintage kimono album, so if you click on the pix, the explanations will come up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21