Vintage 1933 Wool Plaid Work jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by tmitchell59, Apr 4, 2020.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

Got it on ebay a few months back. No makers label, but it was a Canadian seller. Among the oldest jackets I have owned. For sure the oldest Wool jacket. The Beautiful early Talon grommet zipper dates it around 1933/34. Throat tab and cinch adjustments at the waist, two button cuffs, unlined. one small hole in sleeve. The Wool is heavy.

DSC06739.jpg DSC06742.jpg DSC06743.jpg DSC06747.jpg DSC06749.jpg DSC06750.jpg DSC06753.jpg MAH06738.MP4_20191028_160754.409.jpg MAH06738.MP4_20191028_160811.344.jpg MAH06738.MP4_20191028_161036.956.jpg

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Very cool looking jacket.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  3. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman A-List Customer

These jackets look so cosy and comfortable. Great fit on this one, Terry:) looks to be in Amazing shape considering it's age.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  4. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Cool jacket! I got a 50s wool plaid jacket, lined in sheepskin. Unfortunately the thing stinks. I washed in the machine, with regular washing powwder, going real rough on that ol thing and it came out still stinking. Very close to throwing it away. May go full hardcore in one last desperate attempt and try washing it at 60°C. I mean might as well before throwing it away right.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  5. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

When you say the wool is "heavy," I would think maybe 28oz. to 30oz. in a vintage jacket The heaviest I have found in modern jackets is 26 oz. and that is Filson's Mac in plaid. That's why I prefer the vintage wool. I have a vintage Woolrich that is 28 oz. shell (estimated), plus it has a liner. A warm jacket.

@jacketjunkie, before you throw it away, throw it my way; I'll get the odor out. Don't wash it in hot water. It will shrink it. If already shrunk, a hot water wash will shrink it even further. That's the worst thing you could do. The best thing you could do is send it to me. I'll even pay shipping!

tmitchell59 likes this.
  6. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 Call Me a Cab

I have no idea when it comes to the weight other than comparison to other wool jackets I own. I am pretty ignorant about Wool, I just like it! I have been wearing it and it is very comfortable and warm. I have a nice vintage Wool half-belt that is much lighter. I will have to do some pics.

Lot of great Wool jackets out there. This is more workwear. Does not have the game pouches of a hunting jacket. I just don't see anything this old in any condition. I bought it within minutes of it showing up on ebay. Most buyers did not even see it.

Imuricecreamman likes this.
  7. 58panheadfan

58panheadfan A-List Customer

8. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

@58panheadfan I have a vintage Woolrich with a similar, but larger, collar. Mine looks a little awkward when lying flat, but it sure stops the wind.

tmitchell59 likes this.