Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage 4X Beaver Resistol Fedora

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a 1970's Vintage 4X Beaver Resistol Fedora off ebay...the hat is definitely awesome but unfortunately it's too big for me....The guy who sold it buys old vintage Stetson and Resistol Western (cowboy style) hats and then refurbishes them and modifies them into fedoras...The end result is a flawless one of a kind work of art...The one I bought is a Stagecoach Resistol...It's a beautiful chocolate brown color...raw edge 2 3/4 wide snap brim...a tapered tear drop crown bashed at 5' in the front to 4' in the back...It has the original, like new condition, two tone tan and dark brown satin liner with the stagecoach logo under plastic...it has a new leather sweat band...and a very supple medium brown 1 1/4 custom leather hat band with a decorative two tone copper and sterling silver color lightening bolt pin...The hat is flawless and looks brand new...no stains and no moth bites anywhere...The guy sent me a picture of what the hat looked like before...It started off as a Cowboy hat and he modified it into a fedora...the guy is one talented hatter...because the hat is too big for me, (supposedly a 7 1/4, but I think it may be a size bigger. either that or I wear a 7 1/8 instead. I measure out at 22 5/8 inches)...I'm considering trading it if anyone may be interested...I would be interested in a vintage Open Road / Campdraft or "Indy" style fedora...I tried to post some pics, but somehow they wouldn't post...(so how do I post pictures)?

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Okay...I was able to change my avatar showing me wearing my Resistol fedora...so you get some idea of what it looks like...it's definitely a real nice quality hat....but still can't post any other pics...any suggestions?

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hopefully I figured it out...

resistol01.jpg

resistol02.jpg

resistol03.jpg

resistol04.jpg

resistol05.jpg

resistol06.jpg

resistol07.jpg

resistol08.jpg

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
And here's a couple more pics of the original liner and bow...the leather sweat band is new...the sweat band is wrinkled because I put some foam sizers behind it...

resistol09.jpg

resistol10.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
And here's a couple more pics of the original liner and bow...the leather sweat band is new...the sweat band is wrinkled because I put some foam sizers behind it...

resistol09.jpg

resistol10.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Have you looked into any of the shrinking techniques provided on the Lounge?
If that is a fairly new sweatband, some of them may pull the hat into your size...
Thanks gtdean, I'd definitely like to look into it...is there a link? Also, I would like learn how to change out the ribbon on my hat and replace it with a gross grain ribbon....does anyone know if fabric shops and hobby shops sell gross grain ribbons?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
If your interested I have a gray hat that is a 7 1/8. Its too small and I'm looking for a 7 1/4. Here's a link to my thread on the hat. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?70009-SALE-OR-TRADE-Vintage-Bambergers-Hat-7-1-8
Thanks Neptune, that's a nice looking hat but I'm looking for something with a wider brim...I would like to trade it off for something like a Stetson Open Road / Akubra Campdraft or an Indy style hat....This Resistol I have is really nice and it's flawless throughout...Thanks again Neptune.

Thanks gtdean, I'd definitely like to look into it...is there a link? Also, I would like learn how to change out the ribbon on my hat and replace it with a gross grain ribbon....does anyone know if fabric shops and hobby shops sell gross grain ribbons?

No link that I know of. I use Google & add "site:thefedoralounge.com" to the criteria.
Here is what I got from searching for shrinking =
What is the lampshade trick?

The lampshade trick is to wet the inside of the sweatband (the rough side, not the side that touches yer noggin) and then place the hat on top of a lamp. The idea is that the heat from the lightbulb dries the leather and it shrinks. Be careful not to leave it on too long, since it might shrink too much...try only a few minutes at first, try it on, and if it's still too big give it a few more minutes. You might also want to put something like a small towel in the crown to protect the liner, especially if it has a plastic protector.

Use EXTREME CARE with the lampshade trick, you could ruin yer lid!

There are some threads on ribbon replacing = buying the right type as well as swirling it so it lays against the crown properly.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Alright thanks. Good luck in your search. if you know anyone interested in a hat like mine id appreciate if you sent them my way.
I sure will Neptune...Good luck with your search too...and if you know anyone who may be interested in mine, send them my way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore