Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Ads - Safeguard Your Daintiness!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I don't know if anyone else reads Jezebel.com, but I love it. They feature vintage beauty ads which are very interesting, and sometimes bizarre. Check this one out:

http://jezebel.com/gossip/oldies-but-goodies/-322727.php

"This is a mid-century ad warning women that their marriages could go in the crapper if they don't "safeguard their daintiness" by douching--with Lysol! The copy says that Lysol "truly cleanses the vaginal canal even in the presence of mucous matter."

Holy moly. He'll leave you because of your nasty down there bits if you don't use Lysol!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
ShortClara said:
"This is a mid-century ad warning women that their marriages could go in the crapper if they don't "safeguard their daintiness" by douching--with Lysol! The copy says that Lysol "truly cleanses the vaginal canal even in the presence of mucous matter."[/COLOR]

Yeah, I've seen this before and posted that image to some thread or other in the Observation Bar before. It's horrifying.

ShortClara

One Too Many
desi_de_lu_lu said:
The well prepared house wife has the floors clean as well as her cooch. Both with that great smell of pine. :cheers1:

HA! You just made me snort! Streak-free, too!

Sorry I didn't search before posting.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
No wonder they have 'not for internal use' on so many products today.

Really, I am a Lysol freak though, I use just about every cleaning thing they make (nothing on my cooch though)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone else think that would hurt, like big time? As soon as I read this, I crossed my legs (like you see guys doing when they think abobut someone else getting racked).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's most interesting is what they couldn't tell you in these ads -- "feminine hygiene" in this context was a euphemism for "contraception." The Lysol Douche was probably the most popular form of birth control in the US from the twenties thru the fifties, with Zonite, a similar product, a close second. Fortunately, a very dilute solution was recommended.

Shearer

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
What's most interesting is what they couldn't tell you in these ads -- "feminine hygiene" in this context was a euphemism for "contraception." The Lysol Douche was probably the most popular form of birth control in the US from the twenties thru the fifties, with Zonite, a similar product, a close second. Fortunately, a very dilute solution was recommended.

Read the ad again with the context that Lizzie brought up!

It just puts they copy writing on a whole other level: "Kills germ-life on contact..."

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Those ads always talk about how married women need special cleansing. What were married women doing back then anyway? Jeez, lady, take a bath sometime! So what, you got to roll you hair again! It is better than washing your ladybits with Lysol.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Egads :eek: I find it horrible for them to advertize something that sounds uncomfortable JUST to keep your man happy. Horrible. It reminds me of when an Air Force soldier that my hubby knew doused his "Stuff" with jet fuel and lit it to get you-know-whats off. Talk about doing stupid things all in the name of "hygiene".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Egads :eek: I find it horrible for them to advertize something that sounds uncomfortable JUST to keep your man happy. Horrible. It reminds me of when an Air Force soldier that my hubby knew doused his "Stuff" with jet fuel and lit it to get you-know-whats off. Talk about doing stupid things all in the name of "higiene".

Well we have to keep in mind that our knowledge of health and hygiene, and especially of women's reproductive health, has advanced a lot since those days.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Egads :eek: I find it horrible for them to advertize something that sounds uncomfortable JUST to keep your man happy. Horrible. It reminds me of when an Air Force soldier that my hubby knew doused his "Stuff" with jet fuel and lit it to get you-know-whats off. Talk about doing stupid things all in the name of "higiene".

What!? I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by you-know-whats, but whatever you mean that sounds HORRIBLE!

All this sort of stuff makes me sad. The way advertisers would basically shame women into buying their products is terrible. You can still see some of that today, but at least no one's buying Lysol for THAT reason anymore.

And thank god for freely available contraception! Yikes.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Well we have to keep in mind that our knowledge of health and hygiene, and especially of women's reproductive health, has advanced a lot since those days.

Agreed. I meant that in retrospect, it seems awful. I am comforted by the fact that, as you stated, medical advances are made daily. I am sure I will look back, years from now, on pap smears, mammos and all the other testing and be thankful for all the new, more acurate ways of taking care of myself :)

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
What!? I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by you-know-whats, but whatever you mean that sounds HORRIBLE!

All this sort of stuff makes me sad. The way advertisers would basically shame women into buying their products is terrible. You can still see some of that today, but at least no one's buying Lysol for THAT reason anymore.

And thank god for freely available contraception! Yikes.

I was hoping I would not have to actually say what he had ( but I suppose it could have been gossip when I heard about what happened). Either way, I am saddened to see what some people resort to doing to their bodies.

ShortClara

One Too Many
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Agreed. I meant that in retrospect, it seems awful. I am comforted by the fact that, as you stated, medical advances are made daily. I am sure I will look back, years from now, on pap smears, mammos and all the other testing and be thankful for all the new, more acurate ways of taking care of myself :)

Makes me think about Start Trek 4 when they go back to the 80s and Bones calls all the doctors barbarians or some such :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Don't knock it till you try it!

OK, any guys lurking here should log off RIGHT NOW, as I am about to get personal.
So here I am in Shanghai, China, with a g&%%$*& YEAST INFECTION!
You can't buy over the counter medicine like Monistat here, they do not have it. Only vinegar and water douches, which are fine for prevention but lousy for getting rid of it.
So in desperation, I bethought me of this thread.
Listerine on a tampon will kill a yeast infection in 3 hours. You heard it here first. Antibacterial and antifungal. Worked like a charm!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Since you're sharing...did it hurt? Listerine stings when used as stated on the label, I can only imagine how it would feel used in that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart