Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Alpha Industries MA-1????

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
As the seller says- it's a repro, made by Alpha, in the '90s.
It's a repro of a vintage M-A1, from Alpha's "Vintage Series", which were more accurate than their normal line but still not so accurate.

I have one of their L2a jackets.
You do still see the Alpha "Vintage" range for sale on eBay.

B
T

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
H.Johnson said:
Yes. Didn't they also do a more accurate 'replica' series?

They did, and the Replica jackets were actually pretty good for the price. I have a Replica B-15C that I like quite a bit.

JackiesTesters107.jpg

By the way, the B-15C Mod was blue and that jacket favors the MA-1, but the Air Force never issued any blue MA-1s.

AF

hellisforheroes

New in Town
great jacket Atticus Finch.

the only reason I asked this question was because of the pure condition of the jacket, i mean its brand new with the hang tag and original factory packaging. for a vintage jacket from the 90s it looks amazing, someone is going to get a great deal

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
hellisforheroes said:
great jacket Atticus Finch.

the only reason I asked this question was because of the pure condition of the jacket, i mean its brand new with the hang tag and original factory packaging. for a vintage jacket from the 90s it looks amazing, someone is going to get a great deal

Saying a repro jacket from the 1990's is "Vintage" is a bit much. I notice that you live in L.A. and the jacket seller is in L.A. Any chance you are one in the same?

hellisforheroes

New in Town
Southernwayfare said:
Saying a repro jacket from the 1990's is "Vintage" is a bit much. I notice that you live in L.A. and the jacket seller is in L.A. Any chance you are one in the same?

i wish, i want that jacket. The only thing stopping me from buying it is the size, its too small. i have been looking at buying a BR B-15C or MA-1 on ebay and usually check it four to five times a day. This one right here would be perfect:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-8TH-BUZZ-R...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

but the seller is in china? and the jacket is pretty beat up and in my opinion 50$ + the 25$ for the shipping is already alittle more than what i would like to pay for something in that condition. I know the deals are out there you just have to find them

hellisforheroes

New in Town
Southernwayfare said:

I appologize for going off topic but, you dont think that something thats 20 years old isnt vintage? or do you mean vintage would describe the condition of an item rather than its age?

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
hellisforheroes said:
I appologize for going off topic but, you dont think that something thats 20 years old isnt vintage? or do you mean vintage would describe the condition of an item rather than its age?

I'm certainly not interested in getting into a debate about what defines the term "vintage" when it comes to clothing. Its in a pretty gray area by any definition - made in 1990 (19 years old) versus made in 1999 (10 years old). The fact that its a REPLICA certainly doesn't do much for it.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Southernwayfare said:
I'm certainly not interested in getting into a debate about what defines the term "vintage" when it comes to clothing. Its in a pretty gray area by any definition - made in 1990 (19 years old) versus made in 1999 (10 years old). The fact that its a REPLICA certainly doesn't do much for it.

Maybe I can help shed some light here. Alpha Industries has produced nylon jackets for the USAF since the 1950s. Collectors refer to the military-issued Alpha jackets as originals. Alpha also makes flight jackets for the civilian market. Over the years, they have made several series of reproduction 1950s and 1960s Air Force flight jackets. The series they most recently made they called "Vintage" jackets. The jacket at issue in this thread is a "Vintage" jacket, as in "Vintage" series. About ten years ago, they made a "Replica" series of 1950s jackets. The jacket in my post above is a "Replica" jacket.

So in context of this thread, the words "Replica" and "Vintage" are used as nouns.

AF

Edward

Bartender
With a nod to BT's extensive knowledge in this area, I this morning received my own Alpha Replica Series B15C - new, deadstock, still sealed in the bag, from an eBay seller in the US. I have no doubt that it is inferior to the Buzz model in terms of accuracy to the original spec, though it certainly looks the part. Once price comes into it.... well, I paid in the region of GBP40 for the jacket, plus about another £20 shipping, and a small customs charge - total spend came to around £70. The Buzz Rickson version sells at £399 here in the UK.... plus shipping.... For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm sure that for anyone really serious about putting together an impression (I'm assuming there are folks who reenact Korea?), the Buzz would undoubtedly be the obvious choice. For me, though, an out of shaped, middle aged guy who was only looking for a cool jacket for wearing with cuffed jeans and a rockabilly vibe (cause let's face it, it's nice to have an alternative to leather once in a while), the Alpha hits the spot perfectly. The same seller also had some of the Alpha Vintage Series L2As, though, alas, none in my size. That's a jacket I really fancy, but the Buzz (at the same price as the B15) is just a little too rich for my blood. Beautiful jacket, I'd just much rather a great A2 for that sort of coin.

FWIW... in the absence of a 42 in stock (and with the seller's advice that they "come up a little small"), I took a punt on a 44. Glad I did. The 42 would be a marginally nicer fit on me with just a shirt under, but the 44 doesn't look oversized, and also leaves room for comfortable layering. I'm seeing a white submariner's sweater in my near future...

Photos to follow...

p.s., just in case the photos, when they come, make me look all butch and manly(!), I should own up that the one thing above all that put thed B15C in my mind as a jacket to own were the images (which Alpha still use, I believe, in their promo) of Marilyn wearing one with her jeans... [huh]

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Edward said:
With a nod to BT's extensive knowledge in this area, I this morning received my own Alpha Replica Series B15C - new, deadstock, still sealed in the bag, from an eBay seller in the US. I have no doubt that it is inferior to the Buzz model in terms of accuracy to the original spec, though it certainly looks the part. Once price comes into it.... well, I paid in the region of GBP40 for the jacket, plus about another £20 shipping, and a small customs charge - total spend came to around £70. ............[huh]

Yes, I guess we are looking at the same seller. I have been looking at their L-2 vintage jackets, those with the air force decal on the arm. But then I managed to get hold of a 1978 vintage late version L-2B (which is very similar to the MA-1 by the way) with rank and badges attached at pristine condition, so I just kind of ditch the idea of buying from them. Actually I have checked out the Buzz Rickson L-2A jackets at the Eastman booth at Duxford earlier on, they are extremely nice. If you ever have the money to buy one of them, it should be the black William Gibson MA-1.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!!!

Edward

Bartender
Justhandguns said:
Yes, I guess we are looking at the same seller. I have been looking at their L-2 vintage jackets, those with the air force decal on the arm. But then I managed to get hold of a 1978 vintage late version L-2B (which is very similar to the MA-1 by the way) with rank and badges attached at pristine condition, so I just kind of ditch the idea of buying from them. Actually I have checked out the Buzz Rickson L-2A jackets at the Eastman booth at Duxford earlier on, they are extremely nice. If you ever have the money to buy one of them, it should be the black William Gibson MA-1.

Looking forward to seeing your pics!!!

Seller goes by the username belote, really helpful, friendly and communicative. I would definitely jump on one of the L2s had he my size. I think if I was going to go for a black jacket, I'd be tempted by the black version of my jacket. Otherwise identical, even including the usaf decal.

Edward

Bartender
And finally, the promised photos of my Alpha Replica Series B15-C. Size 44, worn over just a shirt - comfortable, and can deal with a sweater underneath too.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Edward, what's the zipper like?

You may recall that I had the zipper fail on one of Alpha's standard B-15s (with the removable collar) last year after five years of wear. The zipper was white metal, and much heavier/clunkier than required for the jacket. It was scratchy to the touch at the front of the teeth, and was always difficult to pull at a couple of points. Ultimately, it began popping open on its own at stress points (i.e., my gut!) and became completely undependable...

I love the B-15, and would like to get another one sometime. I'm guessing that either the Vintage or Replica models are better than Alpha's standard one?

(In the meantime, I just ordered a new standard Alpha MA-1 - in gunmetal gray, which will go with virtually everything I wear - to get me through the next winter or two. I have actually never owned an Alpha MA-1 before, just Rothco knockoffs and an oddball take on the MA-1 that LL Bean did back in the mid-90s that's way off-spec but indestructible: it's been my winter hiking and snow-shoveling jacket for a decade.)

Edward

Bartender
It's a very utilitarian affair - chunky, feels vdery solid. Still a bit stiff as I find new zippers can be. Obviously I've only had the jacket a couple of weeks, but it doesn't feel to me in any danger of being fragile, or something i need to be precious with. I've not done a direct comparison between the standard and Vintage / Replica series. I know the latter are cracked up to be superior on all levels (the Replica moreso than the Vintage); they're definitely rather more accurate in terms of replicating the originals as opposed to the standard line which is a more modern cut, and a generic take on the B15 style. I don't know whether this is the limit of it or whether they're also significantly superior in terms of overall construction, though, my experience with Alpha being limited. If you're at all tempted, though, and you find a NOS Replica Series in your size, jump on it - mine cost me literally a tenth of the price of the Buzz Rickson B15-C on which I had my eye. Now I have no doubt the Buzz is a better jacket in some respects, but definitely not ten times better!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The zipper on mine was never "fragile", it was actually a heavier zipper than was required. (Heavier than any flight jacket zip I've ever seen, apart from the big brass ones on crummy Rothco MA-1s, and my old 80s Schott bomber, which had a seriously heavyweight steel zipper of the kind you used to find on non-nylon sleeping bags.) But it just never worked well. It went right from being a stiff new zipper to a difficult, sticky zipper. And it eventually started popping open in multiple places.

I'll have to keep an eye out for one these Alpha Vintage or Replica models - I'll never be able afford a Buzz Rickson, not with putting two kids through college...

elnico

New in Town
I Just got myself a Vintage Series B15c off Ebay... have to say I agree with Edward regarding the value for money as I was looking at a Buzz being my only alternative.. But this just suits my purpose perfectly... now... where did I park that Lockhead Lightening?......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany