Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage: An act of conservation?

Tiller

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I am really peeved and this sort of fits into this conservation subject. I bought a set of six figurines from the 40s from a seller on eBay. They were pretty cool and two were a really nice pair. When I got the box via USPS my heart sank. It was obvious fromt he sound the box made when I lifted it that the contents were a mess. I opened it and they were. :mad: :rage: :rage: :rage:
Here I was trying to preserve a few figurines in my collection to maybe pass onto my children and the USPS made them into a pile of sand! :eusa_doh: It just burns me to no end because they cannot be replaced for what I paid for them---even if I could find them again. :rage:
I emailed the seller with my disappointment showing I suppose---calling them absolute idiots for breaking such cool figurines. She responded back and we corresponded for a bit. She had them since she was 19 and that was 42 years ago! So not only did they break my fabulous find, they broke her treasure that she had saved to pass on to another generation. :eusa_doh: :rage:
It all makes me so mad when things like this happen when you have good intentions but things get in the way. :mad:

Sorry to hear your lose Mr.Powers. You have my sympathy sir.:(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss RM said:
One of the WORST things I've seen was at a giant yard sale a couple of years ago. Two ladies in front of me walked up to the seller with a complete set of early 50s dinnerware (I can't remember the pattern). It was pristine and beautiful and I gasped, realizing they were going to get the whole set for three dollars! Then one of the ladies gleefully said, "Oh, we're going to take them home and smash them for mosaics! WHAT!?!?! I can totally understand repurposing broken or unusable items into art ... but to destroy a whole set!?! ... and for 'art' that will likely only be appreciated for a couple of years before it's considered 'tacky' and thrown away!

There is an honest-to-goodness dictionary term for that travesty: it's called downcycling.

However, the ladies who bought the dinnerware would claim a different term: upcycling.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I turn over my clothing and other goods pretty often. Clothes I give to Salvation Army etc. Just got rid of a whole house full of furniture to Vietnam Veterans of America. I even recycle my food into Compost. Musical instruments I will no longer use I give to people who wish to learn. Even my town has something called a "swap shop"; you bring what you do not wish to use anymore and someone else will get a chance to use until they bring it back to the "swap shop".

That is all fine. I even use old socks and tee shirts to polish my shoes.

But I never thought I would do the following: I went into a thrift store bought a gorgeous blue blazer for 2 bucks. I am going on a trip and need something that I do not want to be concerned about.

When I get back I will bring it back to the thrift store where I purchased it. Just can't see letting it sit and gather dust when I get back. [huh] [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL