Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Banana Republic safari jackets

frussell

One Too Many
Was it catalog only at first?

I distinctly remember shopping by catalog/mail order before ever seeing a real BR store in person, when they actually had some surplus items for sale, both military and civilian. By the way, does the Duluth Trading catalog remind anyone else of the old BR catalogs, with the descriptions and the drawings?

newcollegeangel

New in Town
Safari Jacket question from a newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here and it's just incredible to have found a forum dedicated to my fashion interests! I could not believe how many threads I found dedicated to safari jackets, and I did my best to read through them all, but I apologize in advance if I'm repeating someone else.

First off, I think that Hemingway Jones' question about whether or not anyone had any scans of old Banana Republic catalogs was a great idea. *Does* anyone have one of these scanned in to share, or is anyone who is lucky enough to have a catalog in storage willing to scan it in for those of us who are less lucky? I think that could be a great resource in here.

Secondly, I'm going to be studying abroad in a variety of African countries soon and I am attempting to put together a safari outfit for my ventures out into the bush. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the "Boyt Shumba Safari Jacket" (I've found it through midwayusa.com but I think I have seen it on numerous websites), which is the main one I am looking at. The only other real contender that I have found (that's not grossly out of my price range as a starving student) is the "Men's Safari Jacket" (found on safarigear.biz). Do any of you have advice, or know of a similarly priced, superior safari jacket?

Thanks very much, I look forward to getting to know all of you.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
IF I can get my books from my soon to be ex-wife, I have a hardbound book that BR printed way back, has all the descriptions and line drawings of all their products from about 1988 or so. I should know in about two weeks if I end up with it and would be happy to scan it and post a link to one of my unused website addresses. Wow I sure miss my BR safari jacket...

MD_SPencer

New in Town

My wife and I were on our honeymoon in August of 1988. We went into the Bandana Republic store in Washington DC at Union Station and they had most if not all of the store stock on sale at incredible discounts. I'm talking 50% or better on all stock. When we asked why the sell down we were told that they had just been sold to the Gap and that they had to move the old inventory out. We bought as much as we could afford as newlyweds. My wife is still using the 100% wool cap we bought on that trip.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I was fortunate enough to find this dark brown Banana Republic leather jacket locally.

Banana_Republic_Jacket_6.JPG

Highlander

A-List Customer
Posted in the other Safari Jacket thread. I just bought a BR Safari Jacket (sans the belt) I need to find a belt for one. Any ideas???

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Posted in the other Safari Jacket thread. I just bought a BR Safari Jacket (sans the belt) I need to find a belt for one. Any ideas???

My old Banana Republic Safari Jacket doesn't have a belt anyway, but it may have been called the Photographer's jacket or something. It's tan, has 4 pockets, and epaulets...

Later

Highlander

A-List Customer
Hi MJS:

I know they made a journalist's Jacket that did NOT have a belt, it was about like the Safari Jacket, only it had a string inside the waist of the jacket as I recall to snug up the waist. Mine is the regular old world Safari Jacket with 2 1/2 " belt loops. I keep thinking i'll find a Trench Coat etc belt on the bay or something.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Catalogs

I found about 7 old BR catalogs from No 21, Holiday 1984 to No 37, Fall 1988. I may try and scan the first one when I have time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points