Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

maisie

Practically Family
Mr H, I have a swimsuit exactly like that, but in gold!:D Unfortunatly it is too big :( so it has to go, if you are interested in it PM me, as I would rather sell it to someone one here who is going to look after it than put it on ebay or leave it folded up in a box!:(

maisie

Practically Family
What size is it?

Is it NOS?

I can't ell you the size, as I don't know what it would be in american sizes!:rolleyes: But I could get the swimsuit's measurements for you?
Also I don't now if it is NOS, but from memory it couldn't have been worn much if at all? PM me and I'll send you the measurements and a picture tomorrow!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Lauren Henline said:
Yeah, and the girl in the red two piece ain't going to look so hot when those three guys tackle her in the water. :p
rofl.gif

CWetherby said:
They don't just bite, they plot against us and carry out mass attacks. They are also suspected in the untimely demise of both a hydrangea and an azalea in my yard. Nasty little buggers, those fire ants. :rage:
We have them here already! They hide in the grass and I am always accidentally stepping on them. I think I am alergic to their bites as my foot swells and it is VERY painful!:mad:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
yep, and it's getting to be that time of year where we're going to be needing one real soon! It's amazing how fast time is flying...just realized today that summer vacation for the kids is in less than two months :eek:

JustJen

Familiar Face
Ooooo, I have the Esther Williams sheath in black cherries. Beautifully made and it covers all my 'bits'.......really nice.

I bought mine at www.retrodress.com. They have the catalog there.

The customer service there is fabulous and Laureen is so wonderful!!

Jen

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Esther William's Swimwear

If any one is looking for a new swimsuit this season, the Esther William's line is worth a look! www.esther-williams.com/swimwear.htm (I hope this is the right link)

I just got mine today, the white with cherries. Now I'm no "Skinny Minnie", having 4 kids does weird things to a gal's shape, but if this suit can look good on me, it will look fantastic on you younger and shaplier gals. :)

It is fully lined (I would never buy white otherwise) and has great coverage, but still looks fun not frumpy. I hope it can stand up to chlorine, I guess time will tell.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really think it's worth it to buy a Jantzen or Cole of California one on Ebay. That is, of course, if you are willing to go with 50's style. I imagine chlorine would break down the colors and fabric, but it will do that to every suit!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Ah, but see, I have come up with a foolproof way to prevent chlorine/salt damage to swimsuits.

I just don't go in the water. Might have something to do with the fact that I can't swim, but yeah. ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have an original 40s suit (paid $20 for it at an antique mall), but I don't break it out very often for fear of the chlorinated water damaging it, as well as the fact that the material is odd (almost like a rubber-rayon blend or something) and when it gets wet - it gets very heavy and tends to droop and sag. I'm definitely going to try one of those Esther Williams suits - those are just TOO adorable!!!!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a 40s Jantzen 2-piece that was yellow wool - if you went in the water it was droopy and if you lounged by the pool it was itchy and hot! Ick!

I don't like buying the repro suits though because I hate having the same thing on as someone else. There are so many cheap(ish) vintage suits on ebay - why not just get the real thing!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
a wool swimsuit just sounds way too uncomfortable. You definetely get what you pay for, even if it's not a piece from the vintage era, you can still find stores with fabric that's more consumer friendly and pull off 'the look' at least

ITG

Call Me a Cab

Arienette

New in Town
Those suits are SOOOO spiffy. I can't wait to buy one. I'm attempting to go to the gym more this year to tone up so I won't buy one right away. They are a whole new form of motivation though :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have quite a few vintage swimsuits, but I won't wear them in the water, as I don't want them ruined. None of them were any cheaper than a modern swimsuit, and I just don't see the point of purposely damaging a vintage garment. I'll wear mine while lounging by the pool, or for photo shoots.

I bought a Revamp swimsuit, and I have one of Esther Williams, too (the leopard print two piece). Both are prefectly vintage and I don't care if they become damaged.

I've also seen vintage swimsuit patterns; if I was worried about running into someone else with the same suit, I would purchase a pattern and have one made in the fabric and color of my choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic