Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

maisie

Practically Family
I'm going on holiday at the end of May, so i need a swimsuit to wear. I love the 1940s ones as they are so stylish and flattering, but I was wondering would the chlorine in swimming pools disintegrate the old fabric? Has anyone ever worn a vintage swimsuit to actually swim in?
Or if anyone know where i could get a good vintage inspired swimsuit please let me know!

Thanks!

maisie

Practically Family
Oh, thanks for the link! I love all the bathing suits!:rolleyes:

I particulary like these two:

http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html
http://www.revampvintage.com/index1.html

I don't know which one to go for though!!
I think a repro will be better than an original, as i would be able to forgive myself if I ruined a 1940s one! Beside the price isn't too bad either not much difference if i went and bought a modern one acutally, and these are way more stylish!!:eusa_clap

Thanks!

shindeco

A-List Customer
If you knit, I have a pattern book from the early thirties with bathing suit patterns.

I don't knit but talked a friend who does into making me the men's suit (apparently, inserting the the gusset is sheer misery). I have yet to wear it in the water but some day...

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I might be a little paranoid, but does anyone else worry about what those knitted suits would do once they're soaked? I'm imagining the fabric drooping under its own weight and possibly...er, exposing one to ridicule (or arrest). I can't imagine this actually happens -- does anyone know for sure?

Besides -- wool + water = major rash. I wonder if you could knit in acrylic...

Lauren Henline said:
A friend pointed me to Ester Williams Swimwear. A lot of the cuts, if not fabrics, look very similar to those of the late 40's/1950's.

Thanks for posting that Lauren. I knew she had one when the Sears catalog was still around but I didn't know the line still existed. I remember wanting one all those years ago.

Here is another nice one:

http://www.daddyos.com/retro/jm1.html

maisie

Practically Family
Oh, so much choice!!:D
I will have to have a think about it, but I definatly like one of the Esther Williams swimsuits, it is the simple bathing suit, very plain but so much style!!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
was actually just out shopping so I strolled through the swimsuit isle, what I really like are the bottom suits that look like short shorts....wondering, isn't that vintage inspired?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Do y'all know if the Esther Williams bathing suits are lined and have padded cups? I'm just wondering how much support and unwanted show & tell it might have. I really like the leapard skin design (to match my sunglasses!).

V For Vixen

New in Town
Hiya!

From the Esther Williams catalogue:

Additional information regarding our Swimwear:

All suits have soft foam cups as well as tummy control panel.
All suits are fully lined in the front with lycra lining.
All suits have tummy control power net.
All suits have soft foam cups.
The solid fabrics are 80% nylon 20% spandex.
The print fabrics are 85% nylon 15% spandex.
The one piece suits have a 3/4" elastic under the bust for support.
There are no wires in any of the suits.

So, looks like they'll do the job......... now, where's that credit card? lol

V
xx

Maria

New in Town
Since my grandmother loves going to the beach and has always been a big fan of Esther Williams' movies, and I figured she would might like to have one of Esther Williams' beautiful vintage style bathing suits - so I decided to buy her one, for her birthday.
She got the bathing suit last week, and she just loved it! I loved it too, so I'm seriously considering getting myself one. This one:

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21