Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
I would like to make a wearable swimsuit from a vintage pattern...is this possible? What sort of fabric should I use? I'm really confused at this point....there isn't much info out there. Any and all tips would help!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
42-19622091.jpg

Heather

Practically Family
I want an Esther Williams suit! In fact, I just bought a cute coverall last weekend and discovered that I have no idea where my swimsuit is! I'm almost hoping I don't find it so I cam have the excuse to splurge. Shhhh..... ;-)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I just received the Catalina suit available at WalMart (of all places), and it really looks just like the Esther Williams posted above. I'm really happy with it - it's super flattering and supportive up top. I'm actually looking forward to being seen in it, and I didn't have to dip into savings to get it! If I ever make it to the beach, I'll post pics ;)

sportell

New in Town
I found a cute 40s 2-piece suit I want. As I can't find anyone selling something like it at a reasonable price, I plan to make it. (Yes, Retro Vintage has some great suits. But I can't pay $150 for a bathing suit that will be used quite often.) The problem I'm having, is what the heck material did they use? I am on the search for Lastex if I can find it. But I've also read that they used cotton, rayon, knits and jersey. Well, what type of cotton? I'm guessing not cotton gauze. :) What would be the fabric I can easily find, that would be most similar and can hold up to chlorinated pools? Thanks for any info. I'm about figure out a pattern and would like the suit to wear in the next few weeks.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
I am having the exact same problem sportell! I want to make my own suit but I don't know how. I'm not very good with knits. I don't think cotton would be a good thing to wear in the water but I simply don't know. I'm wondering how to use a modern spandex with a vintage pattern, or if I should just drape my own pattern and go from there. But I don't sew with stretch fabrics, so I really don't know how to drape with spandex! I wish there was some help out there....anyone?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I agree Sportell and HeyLaaaaaaady! I have wanted to make a vintage style me made suit but can never find suitable fabric my own favorite vintage suits have fabrics that are more like a nylon like they make mens swim trunks out of (kind of a nylon) but I have never seen fabric like this in a fabric store. Any suggestions ladies? Where do you find this type of material and does it have a name?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Oki-doki...
I have a question (bathing suit related):

HOW many suits does a girl need for 3 months at a seaside????

(Or: how much would you take?)
I need real numbers.. I have two pairs.. DO I NEED MORE?

Thank you ladies! ;)

Hmmm- I think two is perfect for functionality. One suit to wear while the other dries.
But really, I guess you only need one. Any more is just if you want more options.
Just like I don't need 7 pair of the same heels in 7 different colors. But I like my options ;)

I wouldn't go out and buy another suit. But if you have more and can fit them in you case, go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner