Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Betty's Book of the Week

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
My earliest book is from the 1840s & it is about writing. It even has recipes for making ink. I don't know what I did with it though.

ETA: It is The Parlour Letter-Writer and Secretary's Assistant by R. Turner, copyright 1835.

Sounds great! If you find it, I know I and others would love to see it in the Show Us Your Oldest Books thread.

Vintage Betty

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Vintage Betty said:
1945 AUSCHWITZ , BUCHENWALD , BERGEN-BELSEN , DORA
:eek:fftopic: Hey, I've been to Auschwitz. If you must go to a death camp, though, I would recommend Majdonek. Auschwitz is more touristy, well, as touristy as a concentration camp can be.

Vintage Betty said:
Elements of TOPOGRAPHIC DRAWING Sloan & Montz, Hardcover
This looks like a really, really cool book. (I need a drooling smilie.)

ShortClara

One Too Many
I love them all, but I do love the hair book especially! Great job VB! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill said:
My earliest book is from the 1840s & it is about writing. It even has recipes for making ink. I don't know what I did with it though.

ETA: It is The Parlour Letter-Writer and Secretary's Assistant by R. Turner, copyright 1835.

This book can be found, read and downloaded on Google, actually:
The Parlour Letter-writer, and Secretary's Assistant

GwenLake said:
--snipped--
This looks like a really, really cool book. (I need a drooling smilie.)

It's a very interesting book, all the more sad when you realize that the artistic contents were real only recently.

My husband saw only a couple of the drawings and said he'd appreciate it if I could sell that particular book, as it was just too sad. So, if you are interested, we can PM about a sale or trade.

ShortClara said:
I love them all, but I do love the hair book especially! Great job VB! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you! Better pictures and more hair books are coming. I just organized some of them the other evening. Again, if you have any special requests, post them in this thread so I can rummage around my collection. There is NO order to my collection and everything is mixed up.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Octave Uzanne. The Fan. London J.C. Nimmo and Bain: 1884

Octave Uzanne. The Fan. London J.C. Nimmo and Bain: 1884

the_fan1.jpg

In 1882, Octave Uzanne published a scholarly and beautiful book of the history of ladies hand fans. Each page brings art to life with scrollwork, history of ladies hand fans with a plethora of nude images. After the 1882 French edition, the same book was translated in English and published in 1884.

the_fan1b.jpg

Originally, this edition was extraordinarily hard to find, with the poorest copies starting at $200. However, a quick check of the internet today found books as low as $100 in good condition, so it seems that the price has decreased due to more copies of this book on the marketplace. It took me two years to find this edition, and it's in very poor condition.

the_fan1c.jpg

My copy is in poor condition, apparently a child was allowed to play with it, and it also has holes starting with the cover. If you are interested in obtaining your own copy, be very careful to question the condition of the pages, as my pages are brittle and are shattering.

the_fan1d.jpg

the_fan1e.jpg

the_fan1f.jpg

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Vintage Betty, what a fabulous thread!! I'm so happy I found it! It's taking me a looooong time to get through all the threads here and I am slowly making my way through different Rooms...

I love that you are posting pictures and explanations of your books! They are so fascinating! I have been banned from bookstores by my family, because I walk in to browse and end up with arm-fulls of books to take home. So new books (for me to own) are a special treat! This is a nice way for me to browse without the temptation to buy! ha ha!

I am so excited to see what else you have to share from your collection!! Thanks so much for doing this!!:D

Vintage Betty

Thank you ladies! I haven't forgotten about my promise to post hairstyle books too! So let's see what I have, shall we?

And gentlemen, I have a special Holiday treat for you, so stay tuned to this thread.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

1920's Hairdressing Book

This is a repost from page 1 of this thread. Only this time, I have included better quality pictures and DOWNLOADS of the hairdressing instructions! The downloaded images are < 1MB each.

Click on the link and than click SAVE AS and save to a location on your computer. When you open the image again, you will have a large copy available to edit or print as you wish.

If you are interested in this book, I have a copy for sale.

20s_hairstyle1_small.JPG

DOWNLOAD Page 1

20s_hairstyle2_small.JPG

DOWNLOAD Page 2

20s_hairstyle3_small.JPG

DOWNLOAD Page 3

20s_hairstyle4_small.JPG

DOWNLOAD Page 4

20s_hairstyle5_small.JPG

DOWNLOAD Page 5

Vintage Betty

The Complete Etiquette for Gentlemen

The Complete Etiquette for Gentlemen
Containg Full Information Upon:
Manner in the Street, The Toilette, Courtship, Behaviour to Ladies, Visiting Cards & c. & c. The Ballroom, Speeches, Presiding at Table, Carving, Art of Dressing & c.

etiquette_for_gentlemen1.JPG

I'd estimate this edition to be somewhere between 1850 and 1880; there is no copyright mark.

It's a pretty common edition from a penny printer from the period with an enclosed pasted in Victorian Bookseller sticker. Strangely enough, I looked up current prices and could only find one book for $250 online. Here's a tip: Save your money. This book isn't worth that kind of outlay.

etiquette_for_gentlemen2.JPG

Reprinted etiquette books are pretty common to find, and are actually a good deal to purchase reprinted. You can get many editions for $5 each.

I have quite a few etiquette books I will list, as they are now rare and horrendously expensive for some unknown reason. But in general, unless you are a re-enactor researching particular period habits, most of these are about the same and have the same general information. You can also download free editions of Etiquette Books on Google Books and there are tons of websites devoted to Period Etiquette if you look for them.

etiquette_for_gentlemen3.JPG

This particular edition is nice in that it includes instructions for dances.

Here you go guys: This post is for you.

etiquette_for_gentlemen4.JPG

Marty M.

Vendor
Vote for VB.

Hooray for Vintage Betty. VB for President of the Style Council. Thanks for your time posting these. You got my vote ;) .
Marty Mathis

Vintage Betty

Marty M. said:
Hooray for Vintage Betty. VB for President of the Style Council. Thanks for your time posting these. You got my vote ;) .
Marty Mathis

lol lol lol

Me? President of the Style Council? :eek: lol

My pleasure. And Mr. M, there are more and more books coming for you to enjoy. The next one you will like also.

VB

Vintage Betty

The Mailbag: All About Direct Mail Advertising, June 1925

The Mailbag: All About Direct Mail Advertising, June 1925

This is a monthly publication instead of a book. Hope you don't mind!

mailbag_1.JPG

I don't like fonts. I LOVE fonts. And the funny thing is, my brother loves fonts too. Do you think it's genetic?

mailbag_2.JPG

As a little girl at age 12 (before computers :eek:) I used to look at fonts and copy them with pencil. For two years, I made the monthly calendars for my elementary school, drawing out and using a different font for each month's calendar by hand. I also did this in High School for a year or two also.

mailbag_3.JPG

Years later, I still love fonts. I think I have some antique font and typesetting books in storage, so if I find them, I'll post them in this thread. My favorites were the Art Deco fonts, with their curves and angles. And wouldn't you know it, I even got a chance to create a custom font for work, hiring a fontographer and designing my own Art Deco font as a logo for my company. The fontographer was surprised that I knew exxactly what degree of angle I wanted the curves and the precise angle of the leg on the letter R. He said he had a blast designing my letterset with me. If you are interested in trying this yourself, there is free font designer software available on the internet, or you can hire a fontographer yourself. The experts are amazingly cheap for the services they offer.

mailbag_4.JPG

For other font lovers out there, may I introduce you to an amazing publication called Baseline. It is VERY expensive, but offers a wonderful unique publication each month, with a mix of new and antique fonts in artistic presentation.

mailbag_5.JPG

This monthly publication absolutely grabbed me because of the cover and the fonts. Do you really need more info?

mailbag_6.JPG

mailbag_7.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff