Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Book Covers

Marla

A-List Customer
One of the joys of reading vintage books is looking at the covers. Various styles of book designs were popular during the Golden Era. My favorite book covers from that era are the ones with Modernist-style covers of the 1950s and 1960s.

What are your favorite vintage book covers?

5490297084_029fcdbe1d.jpg

5490296924_26eda18b57.jpg

5490297186_f86f5d5323.jpg

Share your favorite covers here!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I found a tore up photo of this online and fixed it up with a little photoshopping. Beautiful colors.
tender1Quicke-mailview.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
I like the bold look of this first-edition book jacket for Auntie Mame which was published in 1955.

5498247911_98f47f28c8.jpg

(Sorry, I couldn't find a larger size)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
IMG%5B1%5D.jpg

One of my favorite books, published in 1937 -- perfectly capturing both the snappy tone of the book (the definitive self-help text for single women in the thirties) and the overall style of the era.

Its sequel, published the following year, kept the same theme:

IMG_0001%5B2%5D.jpg

And the final book in the trilogy, a cookbook for the live-aloner that's very useful to this day ---

corned_beef_and_caviar.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer

What great covers Marjorie Hillis' books have! I've been wanting to read Orchids On Your Budget since you mentioned it in another thread, Lizzie, but I didn't know Hillis was so prolific in the how-to book market.

I wish the modern reprints of her books had the original cover art!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The artwork for all the Hillis books was by Cipe Pineles, another of those smart, independent thirties women that modern culture pretends never existed. She had been on the art staff at Vogue when Hillis worked there, and they became steady collaborators. The original editions of the Hillis books all featured Pineles cartoon illustrations at the chapter heads, done in the same distinctive style as the dust jacket art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy