Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Borsalino

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Spielberg took me to a vintage clothes shop that she bought a hat, a suit, two dresses, and a pair of shoes, all pre-1940's. So, in this shop, there are old hat boxes everywhere. I asked the woman who owns the shop if there were hats in side. She said, some of them. I started to go through them; about half were empty and the other half had hats. Three or four of them were from the same gentleman, whose intitials are inside the hat.

I found a top hat, a homburg, a very old straw hat, and a brown fedora. The straw hat was in terrible shape.

Then, I opened the last box and I could hardly believe my eyes. The hat iside was straight-sided, bashed like an Indy hat. I touched it and it was butter soft, like my Adventurebilt. It has a wonderful bound brim.

The felt is very thin and it is a very nice and rich color. The sweatband looks brand new and the liner has some sort of stain in one spot, but other than that, it looks brand new. The fur felt is flawless. It looks as if it were made a week ago. It is in really incredible shape.

I tried it on and it was a little big, but we all know a bit of foam around the inside of the sweatband will take care of that.

It was $65. I thought, 'do I really need it?' Probably not, but neither could I leave it behind, so I bought it.

Here she is. Tell me what you think.

I think it has a great block shape. It seems to fit my mug.
BTW, I bought the vintage 1940's tie too. What do you think?

Here's the liner:

It says:

Qualita' Superiore
Borsalino
Alessandria
Marca Depositata
Made in Italy
"Reg U.S. PAT. OFF."

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What a great find

Nice NICE hat! I guess you just have to keep looking.

It looks so much like your Indy hat - almost like it was desgigned that way. I guess it's an authentic bash The Adeventurer wore.

I would have been extremely foolish to leave it behind. You would have talked yourself into it in the next 24 hours anyway, right? :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
Nice NICE hat! I guess you just have to keep looking.

It looks so much like your Indy hat - almost like it was designed that way. I guess it's an authentic bash The Adventurer wore.

I would have been extremely foolish to leave it behind. You would have talked yourself into it in the next 24 hours anyway, right? :)
Scotrace, you are absolutely right. I would have beat myself up for days if I had left it behind!
You're right about it being like an Indy Hat. It is so straight-sided and it has a center dent.
I am so happy to have this. Every hat guy needs some vintage lids.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, MattC.
SHARPETOYS said:
:cheers1: Nice fedora!! I have one like that and had Art reblock it in a vintage c crown since I had a Indy fedora already.:)
Thank you, Sharpetoys!
The one thing I want to stress is that I didn't touch this hat or restyle it in anyway. It looks like an Indy hat because it does, not because I did anything to it. I didn't touch the existing bash; I didn't restyle it; and I didn't alter it in anyway. -I just wanted to make sure you all knew that. I think it would be a travesty to alter this hat. I love it just the way it is.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Great hat

You struck gold on this one! Far better than taking a chance on an online auction.

jeboat:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you, Prof. Ed!
And thank you, jeboat. You're absolutely right; nothing beats holding it, touching it, trying it on before you buy. To think that I wore it around the store for a good ten minutes before I bought it. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable in it.
Thanks!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not-Bogart13 said:
Like it was just sitting there, waiting for you! I like it. I also like the hat in your avatar. What is that one?
Thanks Not-Bogart! It does seem that way.
The hat in my avatar is an Adventurebilt Beaver in gray, bashed by Steve to match the hat in "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade;" more specifically, the scene when he is at the dock in Venice. It has proven to be very versatile with suits, Wested, and an overcoat. I love this hat!

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
grumble grumble Boston grumble grumble antiqueshop grumble grumble overpriced NY thrift stores

Honestly though, niiiiiiiiiiiice find. That topper is tops for sure.

That hat goes to show you that an Indy hat is a copy of a vintage style. Since it is set in the golden age, they chose a golden age style that was truly around at the time. I have a Whippet styled much like yours. The pinch might even be tighter. Indy's hat is an Average Joe hat of the time.
You just happened to find a very very nice example of it that was waiting for you. :cheers1: Great find!

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MrBern said:
My Friend, there will be no 'buyer's remorse' in mudville tonite. Looks great on you. A fine thanksgiving purchase.
Youre fortunate it is your size.
Thanks MrBern! I'll have to bring it the next time we get together!

IndianaGuybrush said:
grumble grumble Boston grumble grumble antiqueshop grumble grumble overpriced NY thrift stores

Honestly though, niiiiiiiiiiiice find. That topper is tops for sure.
Thank you, my good man. Keep an eye out and I'm sure you'll find something too.

jamespowers said:
That hat goes to show you that an Indy hat is a copy of a vintage style. Since it is set in the golden age, they chose a golden age style that was truly around at the time. I have a Whippet styled much like yours. The pinch might even be tighter. Indy's hat is an Average Joe hat of the time.
You just happened to find a very very nice example of it that was waiting for you. :cheers1: Great find!

Regards to all,

J
Thank you, Mr. Powers. I was thinking much the same thing. I am amazed how much it looks like an Indy hat. So much so, in fact, that some folks over at COW thought I had actually done the bash, which I did not. It is almost unbelieveable that it came that way, but as you noted, it did. The ribbon, bow, bound edge, and color are all wrong, but the overall shape is very Indiana-ish, if you will.
It is so very light. I am amazed at that. You could truly forget that it is on your head.
Take care,
-HJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy