Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Buttons Yay!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme: Same buttons, different sizes.

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

PS.
VB, those movie star buttons are fairly common. They featured movies and actors from the time. Ive seen a few of them from time to time.

LD

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I've got to get together some pictures for you all of my favorites, I inherited a bunch from one of my aunts when she passed and a bunch from my gran when she moved. I'm going to be going shopping next weekend for some more as I need a bunch for my bouquet and my bridesmaid's bouquets for my upcoming wedding!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, VB!

Today's theme: A history of Pilcher's Bachelor Buttons

THese buttons I have developed a fascination with as I see that the button has been rebranded over the decades.

Here are a few of the cards that I have found:

I believe these are one of the original productions of the button. The color is a deep olive, and the quality of the buttons are far superior than later versions.

IMG_0778.jpg
IMG_0781.jpg

Circa 1916!

IMG_0779.jpg

The next ones are probably a few years later. In box form.

IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0801.jpg

Even later down the line.

IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0808.jpg

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Next was the rebranding to 'Simpl-On'.

IMG_0804.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

Then 'Tip Top' got them. I think it was in this order by the graphics, that and they dropped the 'Formally Pilcher's' tag line. More family stuff, and cheaper buttons.

IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0810.jpg

I have about 40 of these buttons now, and have used them. THey work great (when the rust isnt keeping them from opening).

Yay buttons!!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme: Early 1900s

IMG_0788.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

I thought these were interesting, they are basically acting like a backing button, without thread. I wonder if they sold very well.

IMG_0058.jpg
old3.jpg

old1.jpg

These I think are my oldest buttons. I havent made anything to put on them yet, but soon, I hope.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme: Oh those fancy plastics!

Bakelite, casein, celluloid, apparently every button on eBay is made of them!
Im VERY cautious as to what I say is what. I sometimes test, if Im unsure, then its not, but sometimes when you look at something, you just know.

IMG_0030-2.jpg
IMG_0031-2.jpg
IMG_0070-1.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg
IMG_0354.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

LD

Warbaby

One Too Many
Guys like buttons, too...

I don't really think of myself as a button collector - just someone who can't resist buying nifty vintage buttons because I think I might use them on something if I ever find just the right thing. Problem is, I've been looking for some of those "just the right thing" items for years. So I guess I'm a button collector by default.

Most of the buttons I have are "guy" buttons - that is, buttons for jackets or shirts.

I'll start off with these aluminum French Foreign Legion buttons:

buttons_ForeignLegionB.jpg

These these little 3/8" buttons are part of a large lot of real tortoiseshell buttons I got on eBay from a woman in England:

buttons_tortoise.jpg

These next two photos are 2nd-4th C. Byzantine bronze buttons - just the right size for blazer buttons (if I ever find just the right blazer):

buttons_byzA.JPG

buttons_byzB.jpg

These are sterling Levi buttons that I made about 35 years ago. I made a mold from a Levi button and cast them. My original intention was to make an exact copy of a Levi jacket in faded blue suede with these sterling buttons. I couldn't find just the right suede, so I put them on my old Levi jacket temporarily. Still haven't found the right suede and the buttons have been through three or four Levi jackets over the years. My last jacket finally gave up the ghost and I've been looking for just the right vintage Levi jacket to put them on.

buttons_leviC.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme: An interesting box...I got this special box of buttons for $3.

IMG_0956.jpg

I think its late 40s-early 50s. I did think this was later, but Ive seen a couple online with crisper and different graphics. The buttons apparently came with the box, as they are diagramed as to what to use on what. I have never seen something like this before.

IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0952.jpg

The buttons look painted, but they are just a real thick plastic. I love the detail of the 'shirt' buttons, and the ridges in them.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg

Simple work a day buttons, but in a cool presentation.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Todays theme:Man, thats a lot of buttons.

IMG_0969.jpg

I won this lot a while back from Canada, and it was fairly disappointing (mostly post war buttons) but there were these families of glass pastels that were in 3 different sizes. Those shone are about half that were in the lot.

IMG_0970.jpg

All these different colors! I think they would look great on a sweater or some kind of jersey knit.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot