Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cadillac collection heads to the crusher....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mr H, I wish you'd give us some more concrete info on this. Is there a complete original news story?
The problem with many old cars is that once you've put $20,000 worth of labor and parts into it, you're likely to have a car worth $12 to 15,000 at the end.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Dan - just that article online that was posted in a car forum over here.

Yes, the economics of restoration don't seem to add it at the moment except for high demand models.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Yes, nature really takes over. These cars have to be stored in from the elements, even in dryer climes.

Look at this car - nature has taken over! (I believe it was a 60s BMW 2002)

2002.jpg

davestlouis

Practically Family
Mr "H", once the strut towers on a 2002 start to rust, the structure is toast...that particular one is well beyond toast, looks like the vegetation is trying to eat it whole.

I hate to see cars deteriorate due to poor storage, but there are "collections" all over the place, where cars were pulled into a field and left to rot. I found a 65 Cotner Bevington hearse that I was just dying to buy, but it had been in a field for just 5 years, and had rusted up to the door handles.

The situation with the Caddies is a shame, but the only way to have avoided the problem would be for the cars to have been stored differently 20+ years ago, and nobody could afford to build climate-controlled storage for a couple of hundred cars.

And here's one in Cincinnati...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318832&showall=1

and 20,000 cars in Rhode Island...
http://www.mustangblog.com/blog/1017795_massive-mustang-junkyard-found-in-rhode-island

Chas

One Too Many
Hard to determine the condition of the cars without knowing more. I'm betting that none are turnkey drivers, some are parts cars and the rest are rotten.

The cars are in a remote area, sitting on grass- which is the equivalent of sitting a car on wet shag carpet. For years. I'll bet 80% of them need floor pans and full frame-off restorations. FYI - that costs at least $20K per car, probably more considering that they are caddies.

Leaving those cars in a field, open to the elements causes me to question the functioning intelligence of the owners of the cars and property.

They should have been covered- a barn would have been far preferable. What a stupid, selfish waste. I'm sorry to say that the old car biz is peopled with a lot of flakes, twits and idiots.

I can telly a number of stories about greedy, stupid old car owners who think that they have a gold mine in their back yard and hold out for big bucks for a rotten car that they plan "to get back on the road someday". The truth is, they never do. Pure "dog in the manger" stuff.

matei

One Too Many
It isn't just the old cars that rust like that. :(

I just treated my Defender to a pro Waxoyl (the pro stuff, not the stuff you buy in a tin from Halfords) application to keep the rust bug at bay. I've seen 3 year old Defenders that already show serious bulkhead and crossmember rust...

It has done a good job of protecting Mrs. Matei's car from rust, and lots of people in the Land Rover community swear by the stuff. A friend of mine has kept his 1978 MG relatively rust free with it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner