Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cal - It's changing my outlook on things

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
adding my Cals to this thread.

f0BdK2R.jpg

IIfA2nT.jpg
Two beauties and a good example of the old Cals' willingness to customize

Leigh H

Practically Family
what do i need to search on ebay? what do i type? cal- vintage?
"cal leather" "cal-leather"

Two beauties and a good example of the old Cals' willingness to customize

They both have conmar zippers on the sleeves which date them from mid 50's - early 60s. I'd love to find one from the 40's but there's the added challenge to find the right fit right as a lot of these jackets from that time can run short in length.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
They both have conmar zippers on the sleeves which date them from mid 50's - early 60s. I'd love to find one from the 40's but there's the added challenge to find the right fit right as a lot of these jackets from that time can run short in length.
Do you know the dates that they used Servals? Were those ever original Cal zippers?
If you are looking for older jackets, be sure to include Star Glove and Leather.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Do you know the dates that they used Servals? Were those ever original Cal zippers?
If you are looking for older jackets, be sure to include Star Glove and Leather.

I’m not sure, I’m a bit of a noob. Both main zippers have been replaced by previous owners, but they both still have conmar zippers on the sleeves which is my only sign of their age. What year did Star Glove transition to Cal Leather? I wasn’t even aware of Star Glove. Thanks!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I’m not sure, I’m a bit of a noob. Both main zippers have been replaced by previous owners, but they both still have conmar zippers on the sleeves which is my only sign of their age. What year did Star Glove transition to Cal Leather? I wasn’t even aware of Star Glove. Thanks!
After they got the LAPD contract. I think it was late 40's or early 50s. I think I mentioned in a post somewhere, maybe in this thread or somewhere else where we were talking about Cal Leathers history.

From what Gwen told me, don't know how rigid it is, but for the newer jackets they were going to use Star Glove on any of the classic designs (I'm guessing CHP) and use Cal Leathers on any of the customs or newer designs (not sure what those might be). Again, don't know when and how often this was implemented.

On those pics I posted to start the thread, the CHP style that has more of a pull up leather hanging on the rack, that's a new jacket with Star Glove label.

edit: confused the Cal threads. This one has the history and the newer Star Glove Dpocket, not CHP. 1948 btw is when they rebranded. Cal-Leathers Shop Visit, Ventura CA. | The Fedora Lounge

Last edited:

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
2nd Cal in as many weeks, fresh out of a long hibernation in an LA storage space. I've owned LWs before so I feel comfortable saying this is a beast of a well made and well executed jacket. Non- gusseted, which I dig and I don't know if this is common on Cal sleeve end's but not only are they "fur" lined, leather "web" doesn't span both sides of opening. Pretty cool. Jacket weighs 6+lbs. It's been pouring here in New England past 24hrs so not best picture taking weather ...
IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8243.jpg

IMG_8246.jpg

IMG_8244.jpg

Last edited:
2nd Cal in as many weeks, fresh out of a long hibernation in an LA storage space. I've owned LWs before so I feel comfortable saying this is a beast of a well made and well executed jacket. Non- gusseted, which I dig and I don't know if this is common on Cal sleeve end's but not only are they lined, leather "web" doesn't span both sides of opening. Pretty cool. Jacket weighs 6+lbs. It's been pouring here in New England past 24hrs so not best picture taking weather ...
View attachment 344579
View attachment 344580
View attachment 344581
View attachment 344582

Hells ya. That is so nice.

Edit:: I’ve been staring at the photos. This is the quintessential 60s Cal. Deep, dark black. Beautiful. It’s in such great shape too. Heckuva find.

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
2nd Cal in as many weeks, fresh out of a long hibernation in an LA storage space. I've owned LWs before so I feel comfortable saying this is a beast of a well made and well executed jacket. Non- gusseted, which I dig and I don't know if this is common on Cal sleeve end's but not only are they "fur" lined, leather "web" doesn't span both sides of opening. Pretty cool. Jacket weighs 6+lbs. It's been pouring here in New England past 24hrs so not best picture taking weather ...
View attachment 344579
View attachment 344580
View attachment 344581
View attachment 344582
yep, all the ones I have or had didn't have a web sleeve. Gorgeous condition. What's the back length?

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
My current stable. I’ve had many more. I need to stock
Jmax, is it the original collar on the black jacket with the brown collar or did you have it made later? I am thinking about getting a collar made for my Cal while it is down in Ventura getting worked on. I am hoping one collar might fit both my Cal and Star Glove.

Leigh H

Practically Family
Jmax, is it the original collar on the black jacket with the brown collar or did you have it made later? I am thinking about getting a collar made for my Cal while it is down in Ventura getting worked on. I am hoping one collar might fit both my Cal and Star Glove.

can I see your Star Glove? :)

my collar doesn’t fit both jackets btw.

25ZSK6j.jpg

IeO5CPa.jpg

O0MO0Qf.jpg

C7rokMK.jpg

TYx7U9r.jpg

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I posted a good pic of it in TooManyHats’ Cal Leather Shop Visit thread. It is definitely the star of my jacket collection ;)
Good to know the same collar will not fit both a Cal and a Star Glove jacket. They are not cheap, so I have to consider the investment seriously if it would only work for one of my jackets.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this is common on Cal sleeve end's but not only are they "fur" lined, leather "web" doesn't span both sides of opening. Pretty cool
I noticed this about the Cal sleeve also. The leather inside the zipper is a strip attached to only half of the sleeve, rather than a fold in the sleeve that is held closed by the zipper. Maybe it cuts down on bulk when the sleeve is zipped? I have found that cramming a bulky jacket sleeve into a gauntlet style glove looks really sloppy. Cal’s design tapers the sleeve a lot better, IMHO.

All collars original. Just want to add that not all of my Cal collars have always fit other Cals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner