Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage candy that is still on the shelves

MissMittens

One Too Many
It occurred to me that while so many things have disappeared, our sweet tooth hasn't changed much over the decades.

Candy that is still available almost everywhere, often hails from the Golden Era:

1920's:
Babe Ruth bars
BB Bats
Bit O Honey
Brach's Bridge Mix
Charms pops
Dubble Bubble
Goobers
Peanut Chews
Jujubes
Milk Duds
Mr Goodbar
Oh Henry
Reeses
Sno Caps
Abba Zabba *harder to find
And of course, the ubiquitous Charleston Chew

1930's:
Three Musketeers
5th Avenue
Boston Beans
Candy buttons (on the paper strip)
Chunky Bar
Kit Kat
Tootsie Pop
Heath
Lifesavers
Milky Way
Mallo cups
Crunch
Payday
Snickers
Sugar Babies

1940's:
Almond Joy
Bazooka gum
Candy Cigarettes
Dots
Jolly Rancher
Junior Mints
M+M's
Mike + Ike
Red Vines
Whoppers

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Even older, Beeman's gum that got its start in the late 1800's and ceased production in 1972, is back on the shelf now with his cousins Black Jack and Clove gum.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I don't happen to care for Beeman's. It's a little bland. The Clove gum is quite good, and Black Jack's is strong black licorice. Here, Colorado, you can find them in specialty candy shops, and sometimes around the holidays in normal drug stores. They are pretty easy to find online if you have a hankering for them, but you might have to buy them by the box, which is a risk if you don't know if you'll like it.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I just Googled. oldtimecandy.com sells them by the single pack or by the box, and vermontcountrystore.com sells them by the box only. Happy chewing! :)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Wow, fascinating! I had no idea that those brands went back so far! It's kind of awesome to think I've eaten the same type of candy bars that my grandparents might have eaten back in their heydays of the mid 20's.

Hopefully none of the candy on the shelves today is ACTUALLY of that vintage though...lol

Flicka

One Too Many
Some Swedish vintage candy still sold:

Polkagrisar ("polkapigs") - not really a brand but a kind of candy invented in 1859 and still widely sold

Läkerol (pastilles) 1909
Guldnougat (1913)
Tarragona (milk chocolate with whole nuts) 1928
Kexchoklad (launched as Five O'Clock in 1921, got its current name in 1938)
Toy (chewing gum) 1934
Aladdin (box of chocolates) 1939
Japp 1947
Nonstop (button chocolate pieces) 1947
Plopp (toffee-filled chocolate) 1949
Daim (originally Dajm) 1953
Ahlgrens bilar (small marshmallow cars) 1953

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Even older, Beeman's gum that got its start in the late 1800's and ceased production in 1972, is back on the shelf now with his cousins Black Jack and Clove gum.

Where I grew up in the 80s, we always had this in the candy bowl in the cupboard. Must have been some really old gum if they stopped making it in '72.

Tootsie Rolls are vintage, how about Necco wafers? My uncle was married a couple weekends ago and had a '40s themed reception and this was just one of the candies he had on his penny candy table.

Bazooka Joe bubble gum, candy cigarettes (which I see now the OP already posted)...the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
Some Swedish vintage candy still sold:

Polkagrisar ("polkapigs") - not really a brand but a kind of candy invented in 1859 and still widely sold

Läkerol (pastilles) 1909
Guldnougat (1913)
Tarragona (milk chocolate with whole nuts) 1928
Kexchoklad (launched as Five O'Clock in 1921, got its current name in 1938)
Toy (chewing gum) 1934
Aladdin (box of chocolates) 1939
Japp 1947
Nonstop (button chocolate pieces) 1947
Plopp (toffee-filled chocolate) 1949
Daim (originally Dajm) 1953
Ahlgrens bilar (small marshmallow cars) 1953

I like Daim, sold as Dime for a while in the UK......it's very good. I didn't know that it came from Sweden, I assumed it was German.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Where I grew up in the 80s, we always had this in the candy bowl in the cupboard. Must have been some really old gum if they stopped making it in '72.

Tootsie Rolls are vintage, how about Necco wafers? My uncle was married a couple weekends ago and had a '40s themed reception and this was just one of the candies he had on his penny candy table.

Bazooka Joe bubble gum, candy cigarettes (which I see now the OP already posted)...the list goes on and on.

Necco wafers are still around, but they're the strangest thing i have ever eaten. Best way that I can describe it, is that they're candied cardboard, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24