Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Caps TUTORIAL

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Thanks!

14. Who produced caps in the golden era? The short answer: many of the major hatmakers (Knox, Dobbs, etc.), a few major mail-order companies and stores (Sears, Montgomery Ward, J.C. Penney, etc.) which had their own cap brands, and a host of long-gone capmakers which are all but forgotten.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the tutorial, Marc. I like the higher back and greater slope on the golden era caps.

As many caps as I see on men of all ages in my area, I'm surprised more stores don't carry them. That kind of vintage look seems to always sell, so I think there would be a profitable market if more stores sold quality caps.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Wow! An octogonal from only 10 years ago? That's great news: it means that they were still being manufactured fairly recently. :eusa_clap

The next step is to find out if your cap is still being made. Could you please post photos of the lining and the maker's label (if any)? Thanks!

Well..., it was sold by "Roots", the 'orrible shoes company :eek: ,some kind of anniversary thing they did. It's got a brown cotton liner, I removed the logo even before I put it on my head.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Marc, I take it you have focused your attention primarily on U.S. caps of the golden era. I think of the British variety "Ivy cap" a tweedy affair with really no panels to speak of. Is this thinking correct in what you've come across?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran