Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

rjb1

Practically Family
I do live in a strange place (Nashville), but the terms "Mouse Motor" and "Rat Motor" are sufficiently universal that they show up in Wikipedia:
"In all forms (except the ZL-1 Can-Am model), the "rat motor", as it was later nicknamed (the small-block engine being a "mouse motor"), was slightly heavier than the "W" model, with a dry weight of about 685 pounds (311 kg)."

As far as I know both terms originated out where you live (approx.) - in "Hot Rod Magazine", from California.

I do live in a strange place (Nashville), but the terms "Mouse Motor" and "Rat Motor" are sufficiently universal that they show up in Wikipedia:
"In all forms (except the ZL-1 Can-Am model), the "rat motor", as it was later nicknamed (the small-block engine being a "mouse motor"), was slightly heavier than the "W" model, with a dry weight of about 685 pounds (311 kg)."

As far as I know both terms originated out where you live (approx.) - in "Hot Rod Magazine", from California.

Probably in Southern California---600-800 miles away. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
:eeek: :faint: A rice rocket over those other two?! :doh:

Grasshopper, a riddle: when is a Datsun not a Rice burner?
phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg_zpsf4eb74e9.jpg
January1978RoadandTrackArticlep1_zpsdacbfec6.jpg
January1978RoadandTrackArticlep2_zpsfdcc76bd.jpg
January1978RoadandTrackArticlep3_zpsf4f0cb96.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Terminology check: Around here small block Chevy V-8's are called "Mouse Motors" and bib-block V-8's are called "Rat Motors".

That's what they have been called since the 60s every where! And, small block cars are Pony Cars, even Camaros, only big block cars are Muscle cars!

rjb1

Practically Family
"That's what they have been called since the 60s every where! And, small block cars are Pony Cars, even Camaros, only big block cars are Muscle cars!"
Those are precisely the definitions that I have used since the '60's. There seemed to be a question concerning the terms "mouse motor" and "rat motor" in Northern California.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Still a rice rocket. I'll take the vette any day of the week over that. lol lol

Keep dreaming! Besides, I have driven Corvettes from every generation, and one Scarab, it was a Rocket ship. That was the original plan for my Z, a small block Ford and a T10. Unfortunately, life got in the way, sold it four years latter. I did buy another Rice Rocket, 1983 Kawasaki GPZ1100. Corvettes were the dot in the rear view mirror!

Keep dreaming! Besides, I have driven Corvettes from every generation, and one Scarab, it was a Rocket ship. That was the original plan for my Z, a small block Ford and a T10. Unfortunately, life got in the way, sold it four years latter. I did buy another Rice Rocket, 1983 Kawasaki GPZ1100. Corvettes were the dot in the rear view mirror!

A dot in the mirror because your rocket was broke down at the side of the road. lol lol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

We took the old '48 Plymouth out for a nice, long drive on some country back roads today after church. I'd been having some problems with the car running good (actually starting good, it was running fine). I broke down yesterday and put a new battery in the car. I wish I'd done that a long time ago. It fires up just like new now and is much more of a pleasure to drive, as I don't have to worry about getting back home if I shut it off and get out to do some sightseeing now and then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With the snow and ice and salt here for the duration, I've just finished mothballing the Plodge for the winter -- Stabil in the tank, actual mothballs in an old stocking hanging from the rear view mirror, dryer sheets jammed into all crevices, and a wad of steel wool up the tailpipe.

Took it out for the last drive of the season last Tuesday after work -- a short buzz around the peninsula with one of the theatre kids. She and I went on quite a few Plodge road trips this past summer and fall, of 150 miles or so per excursion, and all performed well. We're looking forward to springtime, assuming it gets here.

Total mileage for the season was 3695.

With the snow and ice and salt here for the duration, I've just finished mothballing the Plodge for the winter -- Stabil in the tank, actual mothballs in an old stocking hanging from the rear view mirror, dryer sheets jammed into all crevices, and a wad of steel wool up the tailpipe.

Took it out for the last drive of the season last Tuesday after work -- a short buzz around the peninsula with one of the theatre kids. She and I went on quite a few Plodge road trips this past summer and fall, of 150 miles or so per excursion, and all performed well. We're looking forward to springtime, assuming it gets here.

Total mileage for the season was 3695.

3695 miles! You sure got your use out of that for the season. Nice.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the snow and ice and salt here for the duration, I've just finished mothballing the Plodge for the winter ...

I'd hate the thought of having to stop driving my old car for the winter, although even here the opportunity to get it out on rides is greatly reduced for the next several months. When bad weather comes around, sometimes I will drive the old Plymouth out to the end of the driveway and just sit there for a while. If I can't actually drive it around a bit, I at least like to get the motor up to operating temperature a couple times a week.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I go out and inspect it frequently over the course of the winter to be sure I haven't had my precautions circumvented by little creatures, but it gets too cold here to leave the battery installed if you're not going to drive it every day. I figure since it lived the first sixty years of its life in Nova Scotia, it's earned a retirement from winter weather.

I keep the battery down cellar on a wooden chair, and it charges right up in the springtime without any trouble.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Your new engine should be nicely broken in and performing well. I'm glad you are getting some fun out of your Plodge after all the trouble of putting it in top shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou