Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Other things to think about are the following:

1) Safety-there aint no airbags in these old cars. They don't handle, accelerate and brake like todays cars. You will have to learn to drive all over again and watch out for all of the other idiots on the road.

2) If you don't have them yet, get a good set of USA made tools and the manual. You can fix almost everything on these cars by yourself.

3) The best reason to own an old car is--THE COOL FACTOR!:D Especially with a 50's or older car. You will get lots of waves and thumbs up.

Mike

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Other things to think about are the following:

1) Safety-there aint no airbags in these old cars. They don't handle, accelerate and brake like todays cars. You will have to learn to drive all over again and watch out for all of the other idiots on the road.

Most important thing to remember? No dashboard dining. Ever. When you're tooting down the road in a heavy old car with no power steering and bias-ply tires, you can't be messing around with a hamburger or a chicken wrap or a slice of pizza or whatever else you're trying to stuff into your face. Leave your food for when you're not moving.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most important thing to remember? No dashboard dining. Ever. When you're tooting down the road in a heavy old car with no power steering and bias-ply tires, you can't be messing around with a hamburger or a chicken wrap or a slice of pizza or whatever else you're trying to stuff into your face. Leave your food for when you're not moving.

Should apply to ALL cars. One of the most irresponsible things put in newer model cars was the cup holder. It encourages unsafe actions.

Big Man

Yeah, old cars didn't have cup holders. You had to rely on your girlfriend to hold your beer. :eusa_doh:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, old cars didn't have cup holders. You had to rely on your girlfriend to hold your beer. :eusa_doh:

On the bright side, today if you let your girlfriend hold your bottle of beer, the Sheriff will not tell you to poor it out on the side of the road, and let you go home. Now days, you will get a chauffeur driven ride to the five star hotel down town!

Big Man

On the bright side, today if you let your girlfriend hold your bottle of beer, the Sheriff will not tell you to poor it out on the side of the road, and let you go home. Now days, you will get a chauffeur driven ride to the five star hotel down town!

It only took one time hearing a Deputy tell me, "If I ever catch you doing something like that again, I will tell your Father." I would have rather been taken to jail and put in solitary confinement for 30 years than have to answer to my Dad for doing something stupid.

It only took one time hearing a Deputy tell me, "If I ever catch you doing something like that again, I will tell your Father." I would have rather been taken to jail and put in solitary confinement for 30 years than have to answer to my Dad for doing something stupid.

And this is what is wrong with society today. Everything is so disconnected that a small matter like that canot be settled so easily anymore. :doh:

Big Man

Also, that style of fathering - through abject fear - is out of favor.

I was NEVER afraid of my Dad. Growing up, he never raised his hand against me or even raised his voice to me. I would have rather died than to disappoint him by having him find out I did something I shouldn't have done.

He's been gone over six years now, and I still would rather die than do something that would reflect bad on him.

I was NEVER afraid of my Dad. Growing up, he never raised his hand against me or even raised his voice to me. I would have rather died than to disappoint him by having him find out I did something I shouldn't have done.

He's been gone over six years now, and I still would rather die than do something that would reflect bad on him.

Two thoughts:

1. Your Dad, your family, its values, its outlook, its heart - all imputed over many posts - impresses and encourages me. I like knowing that goodness and decenency are out there.

2. My Dad was not oppose to using fear, not at all, but he had a value system and moral code that I respect deeply to this day and now, twenty six years after he passed away, I, like you, would never want to do anything to disappoint him. The other day, my girlfriend and I bought an overpriced appliance for our coop (1927, I've posted pictures on the Vintage House Thread) because it was the only one that fit in the space, but I still thought, my Dad would kill me if he knew what I was spending on this. And then I thought, would he think it was okay because I really didn't have much of a choice based on the space. I went back and forth for a few days in my mind about "what would Dad think," and, then, said, wow, his value system and opinion really have a hold on me. Twenty-six years later, one silly appliance, a few hundred bucks and I've spent days in mental debate - incredible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points