Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Looks like a circa 1925 Lincoln, to me.

1924 Lincoln Ad-04.jpg

From the back of the pack, shooting up to challenge the leaders is David Conwill - Vermont trained and, with his 2538 posts, quite familiar with the Fedora Lounge track surface - making a bid for the lead with his bold Lincoln call right as the horses head into the final turn...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
From the back of the pack, shooting up to challenge the leaders is David Conwill - Vermont trained and, with his 2538 posts, quite familiar with the Fedora Lounge track surface - making a bid for the lead with his bold Lincoln call right as the horses head into the final turn...

Michigan-trained, actually. I just moved to Vermont a couple years ago. ;)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The wheels and headlight buckets look mid-20s Packard.

Yes, but Packard and Studebaker both used Budd steel wheels, and Guide headlamps, which differed only in their rims (at least according to my trust Hollender). The 1924 and 1925 Packard Sixes and Eights were fitted with 5.75 × 33 tires, whilst the Studebaker Big Six carried 5.25 x 31rubber. Both cars carried 21" x 4 1/2" rims on their steel disc wheels.

The wheelbase of the cars were similar, with the short wheelbase Packard Six at 133", and the South Bend product at 127".

The factory body for the 1922-1926 Packard roadsters, however, were fitted with a golf club compartment, with doors on each side behind the drivers seat. The Studebaker machines lacked this refinement.

Now, the market light visible just beneath the windshield is a clue. It does not appear to be Studebaker (or Lincoln for that matter), for both of those marques had their marker lights fared into the cowl as soon as they went from painted to nickled radiator shells, and Pakard, of course, had them fitted into the extensions on the bottom of the headlamp rims. In addition, the wheelbase appears to be just a bit short for a Lincoln, which had a 136" standard wheelbase.

I do not now assert that the machine is question is a Stude, but am pretty certain that neither is it a Packard or Lincoln. Neither would it be any GM product, for obvious golf club compartments were universal on large Fisher roadsters and coupes.

I wondered on which car would have carried Buds wheels of this size, and which would have been fitted with an obvious Budd all steel Roadster body. Reference to Hollander suggests that the car might be a Flint. The Flint DID use the little Guide marker lights on the cowl seen in the photo in question. That said, I can think of no roadster in that period with such a pronounced slope to the deck lid. The factory image of the Flint does not encourage.

Packard Six:

268cd9f9b1d1e3348bb9d6c60618ff1e.jpg

Studebaker:

gallery_45106_3_1431474905_7442.jpg

Flint:

s-l300.jpg

In a surprise move, Vitanola's jockey checked his horse as they rounded for home in a seemingly on-the-fly change in strategy that only this shrewd jockey and veteran horse could manage mid-race...leaving the field wide open as the horses charge into the home stretch.

Bounding forward - seemingly from nowhere - to challenge the leader, it's Doble...but as the horses cross the wire, Conwill holds on by a nose.

Please hold all tickets until race results are official.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I was just about to post the same!

That unique flat deck with the pronounced rake had me puzzled, but Hollander mentioned Nash as user of those Budd wheels in the mid-twenties.

I ran off to the store, thought of Nash, and by the time I saw a photo Mr. Conwill had it all sewn up. Clayton Paddison has forgotten more about these cars than most of us will ever know, even though he is a sort of "hot-rodder".

Last edited:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to everyone for their insight/opinions. The photo I posted was shown to me by a friend. His father and uncle are in the photo (the younger men on the left in the photo). This photo was taken in Nebo, NC (where I live) in the mid to late 1920s. Nebo was then, and still is today, a relatively small and very rural community. The closest town is Marion, which is about five miles away. The "claim to fame" of Marion at that time was the textile industry. My friend and I suppose the car belonged to one of the mill owners, as it is extremely doubtful that any resident of little old Nebo would own a car like that.

The reason I was trying to find out the make/model of the car was to ask some of the remaining old-timers still around if they remembered anyone who "drove a big old Packard (or Studebaker, or Lincoln, etc.) back kin the day." That car might have been such an odity that it's owner would be remembered if the name of the car was called. It's a long shot, for sure.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to everyone for their insight/opinions. The photo I posted was shown to me by a friend. His father and uncle are in the photo (the younger men on the left in the photo). This photo was taken in Nebo, NC (where I live) in the mid to late 1920s. Nebo was then, and still is today, a relatively small and very rural community. The closest town is Marion, which is about five miles away. The "claim to fame" of Marion at that time was the textile industry. My friend and I suppose the car belonged to one of the mill owners, as it is extremely doubtful that any resident of little old Nebo would own a car like that.

The reason I was trying to find out the make/model of the car was to ask some of the remaining old-timers still around if they remembered anyone who "drove a big old Packard (or Studebaker, or Lincoln, etc.) back kin the day." That car might have been such an odity that it's owner would be remembered if the name of the car was called. It's a long shot, for sure.

The Nash was a nice car, whichnofferred excellent value, but it was not in the class of a Packard, Lincoln or Locomobile. In 1925 the Advanced Six roadsters sold for $1375.00, one hundred dollars less than the equivalent Buick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot