Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

3fingers

One Too Many
I suspect scarcity may work in their favor -- given the way they tended to be driven by their original owners, I think it's likely far more of them ended up upside down in the bottom of a quarry than, say, a four-door Dodge Dart.
Conversely, observing the interest of our local university students they seem to be more interested in "tuning" small foreign cars. This involves putting on an exhaust system that sounds like a hive of extremely angry bees. A classic GTO may yet be within my reach as those a bit older than I shuffle off of this mortal coil.

I suspect scarcity may work in their favor -- given the way they tended to be driven by their original owners, I think it's likely far more of them ended up upside down in the bottom of a quarry than, say, a four-door Dodge Dart.

The only thing that might counter your accurate observation that demure people weren't buying these cars to go to church on Sunday is that, even by the late '70s, when I was in high school, kids were already buying and fixing them up.

In my high school, there were several mid-to-late '60s muscle cars that we were already fetishing over at the time.

The only thing that might counter your accurate observation that demure people weren't buying these cars to go to church on Sunday is that, even by the late '70s, when I was in high school, kids were already buying and fixing them up.

In my high school, there were several mid-to-late '60s muscle cars that we were already fetishing over at the time.

I was thinking about this overnight (hence, the insanely egotistical responding to my own post) - and believe this really must have saved a lot of muscle cars.

In '79, I bought a '67 Chevy Impala SS for, if memory serves, about $1800 (hence, stupid kids like me, with modest amounts of money saved from modest teen jobs could afford to do this). Had it been a four door, not a SS or had it been some other "boring to a sixteen year old kid" car, I wouldn't have bought it.

In my high school, a few of the muscle cars were beat up "older brother or younger uncle" cars ten to fifteen years old. These cars might have been junked or sold if they hadn't been "cool" cars by that time.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking about this overnight (hence, the insanely egotistical responding to my own post) - and believe this really must have saved a lot of muscle cars.

In '79, I bought a '67 Chevy Impala SS for, if memory serves, about $1800 (hence, stupid kids like me, with modest amounts of money saved from modest teen jobs could afford to do this). Had it been a four door, not a SS or had it been some other "boring to a sixteen year old kid" car, I wouldn't have bought it.

In my high school, a few of the muscle cars were beat up "older brother or younger uncle" cars ten to fifteen years old. These cars might have been junked or sold if they hadn't been "cool" cars by that time.

In the late '80s, I needed a car. I, too, am a fan of '60s muscle. But having almost no money, I wasn't about to own any of those highly desirable examples.

I came across a '67 Impala with a 327. Bought it for $400.

Even by the late '80s, these cars were few and far between, and it was so novel that I couldn't resist, four doors and all.

Why so cheap? Because it was 4-door sedan (and looked like it had been painted with a brush). I had to do some bushings in the front end, but it ran great. I drove it for about a year until the crank went.

In the late '80s, I needed a car. I, too, am a fan of '60s muscle. But having almost no money, I wasn't about to own any of those highly desirable examples.

I came across a '67 Impala with a 327. Bought it for $400.

Even by the late '80s, these cars were few and far between, and it was so novel that I couldn't resist, four doors and all.

Why so cheap? Because it was 4-door sedan (and looked like it had been painted with a brush). I had to do some bushings in the front end, but it ran great. I drove it for about a year until the crank went.

That 327 was a fantastic engine - Chevy raced that engine for years (at least that's what I was told by guys into that stuff). Regardless, for a heavy car, that 327 had no trouble moving that car around.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Now if you had the flare of the Japanese artist Yamagata, you could make a fortune for your hand painted car:
"The series called “Earthly Paradise,” grew to about 20 cars, including the 1952 Mercedes-Benz Cabriolet 220A, currently bid to $225,900 on eBay. The lush painting completely covering the car’s body depicts flowers and butterflies."
Yamagata.jpg

EngProf

Practically Family
That 327 was a fantastic engine - Chevy raced that engine for years (at least that's what I was told by guys into that stuff). Regardless, for a heavy car, that 327 had no trouble moving that car around.

You were told very correctly about the good qualities of the 327. I had one in a '65 Chevy 2-door fastback and it would get that classic vehicle from zero to X in a real hurry.
In stockers, hot rods, street machines, and all-out race cars, the 327 worked great for all. (It had a very-nearly optimum bore/stroke ratio (4.00/3.25).)
I wish I had it now!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Our tastes were different, I think. In 1977 I bought a fairly rough 1919 Ford coupe for $500. An elderly next-door neighbor who had started his career in 1916 working in a Ford agency helped me to get the car running in time for me to take my driver's test in it, much to my father's chagrin.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you, it looks more like graffiti than art, however, someone seems to like it. I watched a similar one go under the hammer at the Monterey, Sotheby's classic car auction, for about two hundred grand, on television just recently. That's how remember the car.

Our tastes were different, I think. In 1977 I bought a fairly rough 1919 Ford coupe for $500. An elderly next-door neighbor who had started his career in 1916 working in a Ford agency helped me to get the car running in time for me to take my driver's test in it, much to my father's chagrin.

So from when you were a young man, apparently, the very early part of the 20th Century was calling out to you. Your posts speak to an affinity and deep knowledge of the late 1800s and early 1900s that makes you a valuable contributor at FL for your unique knowledge.

From the movies, technology and style I gravitated to as a kid / teenager, it was the '30s to the pre-cultural-revolution '60s that called out to me. Now I can provide an overanalyzed reason of why I like that era (and who knows if it's accurate, but it sounds convincing), but before I thought about the why, I simply appreciated the MGs of the '30s or the '60s muscle cars; whereas, I found the pre-'30s cars interesting in a "historical" way, but they didn't sing to me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I simply appreciated the MGs of the '30s or the '60s muscle cars; whereas, I found the pre-'30s cars interesting in a "historical" way, but they didn't sing to me.
Which of the 1930's MG's did you prefer? The Roadster, that's the open top convertible, or the sedan hard top, majestic saloon? Or both? Of course you could combine your choice. The pre-war big MG's, known as WA, SA & VA all had a convertible model, made by a company called Tickford. You have good taste Sir.
MG-PA.jpg
MG_WA_1938.jpg
mg booked.jpg
MG WA Tickford.jpg

Which of the 1930's MG's did you prefer? The Roadster, that's the open top convertible, or the sedan hard top, majestic saloon? Or both? Of course you could combine your choice. ...

Today, I appreciate both, but as a teenager, it was the roadster that captured my attention. I like the sportiness and the "lightness" of foreign sports cars - they say (and said) fun and carefree to me.

While a BMW and not a MG, this ⇩ from the movie "Easy Virtue" echoes that spirit:

BMW-328-Roadster-1936-1939-Photo-05.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Which of the 1930's MG's did you prefer? The Roadster, that's the open top convertible, or the sedan hard top, majestic saloon? Or both? Of course you could combine your choice. The pre-war big MG's, known as WA, SA & VA all had a convertible model, made by a company called Tickford. You have good taste Sir.
View attachment 107807

Personally, I am a fan of the T series right up through the B of 1962 and beyond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider