Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I think it’s no secret I like a good hot rod, but I don’t think I’m being biased when I say that the hot rodder’s interest in vintage Fords have been a boon to the restoration scene for those cars as well.

Hot rodders drive interest in the original cars because of their speed image; hot rodders drive the aftermarket reproduction market; and hot rodders harvest serviceable parts from hot rodded cars and sell them to restorers.

I hate that last part, but it’s still a good reason to own a stock old Ford versus some other make.

I don’t think it’s any stretch to say there are more stock V8 Fords on the road than Chevrolets or Plymouths of the same era directly because of the hot rodders.

It’s although worth considering that any two-door, pre-war automobile has likely had someone take a whack at building a hot rod sometime since 1980. I would rather have an unmolested original myself, but luckily I’m most interested in four-doors.

If you like the ‘49-‘52 MoPars there are great bargains on original cars to be had there. That’s what I’d be looking at.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I love the looks of Terraplanes -- a very classy-looking car for its price range. The "Electric Hand" is pretty neat too.

1937%20hudson%20terraplane-784168.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
What I'd really like to find is a 1939-41 Chrysler product, preferably a Plymouth or Dodge. A coupe would be nice, but I'd settle for a sedan if one came along in reasonable condition at a reasonable price, preferably before the hot-rod boys can get to it.

Excellent choice. I'm a Chrysler fan myself. They seem to be a better car, or as one expert put it "every part on a Chrysler built car, looks like it cost more to make than the same part on a competitor's car".

Parts are generally available, often from your local NAPA store, at least for mechanical items like brakes, spark plugs etc. They are not as well supported by antique speciallists in such things as reproduction body parts, chrome trim and upholstery as Ford or Chev but then, they usually sell for less money.

I like to say Plymouth made honest, hard working cars for honest, hard working people.

Jay Leno takes a drive in his 41 Plymouth Special Deluxe coupe.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/1941-plymouth-special-deluxe-business-coupe/1337154

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
So far as the brakes issue goes, I rarely drive over 40mph, so I don't know as I'd need too much high-tech stopping power. As long as I don't have to drag my feet out the side of the door to stop I'd be satisfied.

Drrum brakes are plently good until some clown lane changes in front of you while you are pulling up to a red...

Good luck with the car search.

59KUSTOM

New in Town
Goldenrod Garage is a dealer. I went there a few years ago with a pocketful of cash looking to buy a car & was completeley ignored. I finally gave up & left. A couple weeks later, I bought my '59 Impala at the Amherst Automotive Flea Market in Amherst, NH. It's held the last Sunday of every month, April through October.
There's also the Goldenrod Garage in Maine - but I don't know how far you are from Freeport.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Goldenrod Garage is a dealer. I went there a few years ago with a pocketful of cash looking to buy a car & was completeley ignored. I finally gave up & left. A couple weeks later, I bought my '59 Impala at the Amherst Automotive Flea Market in Amherst, NH. It's held the last Sunday of every month, April through October.

It's funny, reviews seem to be about evenly split between exactly what you're saying (he was gruff, or he ignored the customer entirely) and reports saying the owner is very friendly and helpful.

Maybe he's moody??

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Drrum brakes are plently good until some clown lane changes in front of you while you are pulling up to a red...

Good luck with the car search.

I think this is more of a complaint with small (or perhaps non-ABS) brakes rather than drum brakes. The 9-inch brakes on my Falcon aren't the greatest, but the larger (11-inch? Memory fails me) drums on my Camaro stop it just fine.

Now brake fade is scary as heck and are a great argument for getting away from drums - especially if you drive in stop-and-go traffic or on long, downhill grades much.

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
I haven't seen this brought up here before, so I thought I'd share it.

As most classic car enthusiasts will tell you, cutting the dash to install a modern stereo is a major faux pas. In the vintage Volkswagen community (where you see these mostly) it is considered especially heinous.

But what to do? You can mount the head unit in the glove box, but then you lose most of the useable space. Another problem is where to put modern speakers? In my old VW, I had them on the floor behind the front seats, but eventually my passengers dented and smashed them because they had nowhere else to put their feet. I don't know about you, but I like a bone stock interior. No modern speakers poking out anywhere.

Here is a simple and relatively cheap solution.

015.jpg

I built one with a friend of mine with 2 6x9 speakers, a cheap sony head unit and a small subwoofer. You could plug it into the cigarette lighter or put a lawn tractor battery inside the case and carry it to your picnic, campsite or whatever.

I found a suitcase in a matching green to go with the '59 Catalina. Who could deface such a perfect interior with modern technology?

IMAG0575.jpg

I haven't seen this brought up here before, so I thought I'd share it.

As most classic car enthusiasts will tell you, cutting the dash to install a modern stereo is a major faux pas. In the vintage Volkswagen community (where you see these mostly) it is considered especially heinous.

But what to do? You can mount the head unit in the glove box, but then you lose most of the useable space. Another problem is where to put modern speakers? In my old VW, I had them on the floor behind the front seats, but eventually my passengers dented and smashed them because they had nowhere else to put their feet. I don't know about you, but I like a bone stock interior. No modern speakers poking out anywhere.

Here is a simple and relatively cheap solution.

015.jpg

I built one with a friend of mine with 2 6x9 speakers, a cheap sony head unit and a small subwoofer. You could plug it into the cigarette lighter or put a lawn tractor battery inside the case and carry it to your picnic, campsite or whatever.

I found a suitcase in a matching green to go with the '59 Catalina. Who could deface such a perfect interior with modern technology?

IMAG0575.jpg

On the other hand, vintage suitcase enthusiasts are going to have a fit. :p
Seriously, that is a great idea. I need a schematic. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany