Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

I decided to take the '48 Plymouth out for a drive today. Left the house, stopped by the gas station and filled her up, and off on the back roads for a nice ride around the lake. Then, it happened. The car started sputtering and the more I tried to give it gas, the worst it hot till it just quit. Cranked right back up, but give it gas and it died. Cranked it again, idled nice and smooth, but put her in gear and try to take off - sputter and die.

After about the fourth or fifth time, I gave up. Fortunately, I was on a straight part of the road (most of the route I was taking was curves, so being in a straight part was really lucky) so I pushed her to the side and called for a tow.

From all indications, there is a problem with the carburetor. Should be a relatively easy fix for someone who knows what they are doing (which, isn't me). While I would rather have enjoyed a nice (uneventful) ride, even a "bad" day driving an old car is better than a "good" day in a modern one. Yeah, I keep telling myself that ...

That happens to carbs that you don't drive everyday. The passages and jets get gummed up and the engine runs poorly as a result. You should also change the fuel filter while you are there. You have to figure some of the junk came through the fuel line. :p

59Lark

Practically Family
ON xmas day, no snow here, decided to the same thing with my studebaker, bad gas barely got back to grandmas house, and the car doesnt have a heater even with no snow was like driving a freezer. My late great master mechanic who taught me my business spoke of a ride with a hudson where the gas heater failed and he was scraping the ice off the inside of the windshield. Need to pick a day next week and try again , high of 14 metric here next week. 59LARK

That happens to carbs that you don't drive everyday. The passages and jets get gummed up and the engine runs poorly as a result. You should also change the fuel filter while you are there. You have to figure some of the junk came through the fuel line. :p

I think there is stuff called Sta-bil that is suppose to help with keeping gas from getting gummy.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/

deco_droid

New in Town
Hello all -- I am currently driving a 66 Mustang fastback (I know, I know, not vintage enough) -- I have owned it since 2001 but actually would like to sell it to buy a 1950 Studebaker Starlight coupe that I have located for sale. I will post photos HOPEFULLY this summer sometime...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday was "drop top" weather fer sure. It was beautious in the northeast. Took the T-bird out for the first time this year. Nothin' like convertible cruisin'.

Worf

Rathdown

Practically Family
Absolutely! This was the first year since 1963 that I didn't enjoy a top down run on Christmas day, regardless of the weather; looking across the row of tin-tops in my garage this morning has only steeled my resolve to buy another open car...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Update on my '61 Chevy Bel Air.

After a new fuel pump, new gas tank and sending unit, new hoses and belt, new plugs, wires, points, and condenser, rewired wiper motor, and several other "minor" things to get the car back in running condition, just as we were backing it out of the shop to make one final road test before I took it to the body shop,the dang thing blew a head gasket. I guess it was better now than somewhere out on the highway with me.

The mechanic said, "it will cost several hundred bucks to fix this." I said, "I've already spent too much to quit now."

The bad thing is, the more I have to spend on getting the car running, the less I will have to get the body work, paint, and interior done. Oh well, such is life ...

Rathdown

Practically Family
With garage rates at $60/hr 2 hours labour plus $100 in parts is a couple of hundred bucks. With the head off it would be advisable to install hardened valve seats (so you can run on unleaded gas) and do a valve job... probably something in the neighborhood of $400 all told, including the new head gasket.

My advice would be to bite the bullet, get the car running really well, and take care of the cosmetics later.

Update on my '61 Chevy Bel Air.

After a new fuel pump, new gas tank and sending unit, new hoses and belt, new plugs, wires, points, and condenser, rewired wiper motor, and several other "minor" things to get the car back in running condition, just as we were backing it out of the shop to make one final road test before I took it to the body shop,the dang thing blew a head gasket. I guess it was better now than somewhere out on the highway with me.

The mechanic said, "it will cost several hundred bucks to fix this." I said, "I've already spent too much to quit now."

The bad thing is, the more I have to spend on getting the car running, the less I will have to get the body work, paint, and interior done. Oh well, such is life ...

Oh geez, sorry to hear that. I suppose I have been in the same situation many times, since I have a few around here. :p Eventually you get to the just maintenance part though and that is the best stage. :D

With garage rates at $60/hr 2 hours labour plus $100 in parts is a couple of hundred bucks. With the head off it would be advisable to install hardened valve seats (so you can run on unleaded gas) and do a valve job... probably something in the neighborhood of $400 all told, including the new head gasket.

My advice would be to bite the bullet, get the car running really well, and take care of the cosmetics later.

You have a point there. I have had numerous motors rebuilt in my cars just to make sure it won't fall apart a piece at a time. :D

kts68

New in Town
Here's a picture of my weekend carriage

Capture2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou