Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

I heard they used them on the Superbirds to hide welds, as well. Is there any truth behind that? Sounds like an old wives' tale to me.

Back in the 60's the sharp engineers at Mopar tried to run vinyl tops in NASCAR since the pebble-surface acted as a good boundary-layer-control (aerodynamic) advantage.

NASCAR outlawed them pretty quickly.

I heard they used them on the Superbirds to hide welds, as well. Is there any truth behind that? Sounds like an old wives' tale to me.

Actually there is some truth to this. When they make a car the weld seams on the body take a lot of hand work to be filled in and smoothed out so there is no ripples showing when painted. Many cars that came with the vinyl roofs came with out the seems being smoothed out, saved them a big step.

The seam fillers are a small lot, talked to a guy that did it for a restoration place who make beau-coup bucks.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What do you folks recommend for sealing a pinhole leak in a gas line fitting -- not the tank, as far as I can tell, but the fitting on the fuel line that attaches to the tank? The Plodge has developed a tiny drip at that point, and I need to stop it up until I can take it in and get the fitting seen to. I can't tell if the fitting is corroded or just not threaded on properly, and I'm not inclined to try and take it apart myself to see -- there's no way to do it without getting a faceful of gasoline. I've used my grandfather's old trick of rubbing a bar of Fels Naptha soap on it, and that's holding, but is there a more permanent sealant at the auto parts store that works better than soap?

BigFitz

Practically Family
JB Weld? It's an epoxy so I don't know if it will hold up to gasoline for TOO long but may be fine for a short while.
jbweld_lrg.jpg

Last edited:

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
edit: It helps to read the question thoroughly. :eusa_doh:

I would hate for your Plymouth to become a burn victim. Go to your FLAPS and ask if they have a gasoline resistant sealant on the shelf. I'm sure permatex makes something that would work.

I called google:

51rqPskfYBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, after monkeying around all summer, the '62 is back on four wheels and wearing disc brakes:

1C2E2A61-3DF9-403D-8BF6-7CA1915AAF37-8824-00000C208604AED2.jpg

EBEC0A27-919A-4CCF-A749-1D9AB620FA38-8824-00000C208991BE7B.jpg

B2C3AB0A-E50C-483D-8BFC-F5E8C4513D6A-8824-00000C208D197946.jpg

Still trying to figure out the anti-rattle clips. *Anyone have an '89 Cavalier shop manual laying around?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
What do you folks recommend for sealing a pinhole leak in a gas line fitting -- not the tank, as far as I can tell, but the fitting on the fuel line that attaches to the tank? The Plodge has developed a tiny drip at that point, and I need to stop it up until I can take it in and get the fitting seen to. I can't tell if the fitting is corroded or just not threaded on properly, and I'm not inclined to try and take it apart myself to see -- there's no way to do it without getting a faceful of gasoline. I've used my grandfather's old trick of rubbing a bar of Fels Naptha soap on it, and that's holding, but is there a more permanent sealant at the auto parts store that works better than soap?

This question is impossible to answer without seeing the car. I don't have a Dodge of that age but based on owning and working on Chrysler products of slightly newer vintage (late 40s-early 50s) here are some thoughts.

The tank has a fitting soldered into it. This fitting has a place for the gas line to be installed using a flare fitting like a brake line.

I have had one leak because it did not fit exactly. You can try tightening the fitting but do not over tighten. If it is not loose, and tightening does not fix it, you can take the line off and put a small fibre washer inside to make it seal. This is what I did, using a spare washer out of a carburetor kit.

If the tank is nearly empty no gas will come out. The fuel line is not under pressure and it comes out more than half way up the tank. You can take the line off safely unless the tank is full of gas.

If the problem is that the soldered in fitting is coming loose from the tank it might be that some type of epoxy will form a permanent repair. On the other hand if it is the gas line you don't want to epoxy it in place.

Cleaning the area with brake clean spray and a rag will make it easier to spot the leak.

It all depends on the condition of the tank, if it is weakened by rust then the best solution is to replace it. But a minor leak should not be a very difficult repair.

If it is a rusty fuel line it may be the best solution is to replace the whole thing, all the way to the front of the car. This is not very difficult, it is a standard steel brake line type material with brake line fittings.

Last edited:

noonblueapples

Familiar Face

The is a putty type epoxy made for fuel tank repair.

I thought JB Weld might work, too. I've had it work in every application I've used it for, except a hairline crack in the block in my '58 Chevy. The whole gasoline thing is iffy, if it wouldn't hold up to anti-freeze. It's wroth a shot, the stuff isn't too expensive.

JB Weld? It's an epoxy so I don't know if it will hold up to gasoline for TOO long but may be fine for a short while.

normanpitkin

One of the Regulars
My 48 chrysler did this for 2 years ,I tried everything and eventually gave up and had the tank taken out and the whole fuel line replaced.That fixed it!There is little as irritating as the constant smell of gasoline.

Talbot

One Too Many
Perhaps hunting for parts helps shake off the empty ennui of a bad polo season, or your Gulfstream running out of Pouilly-Fuissé.:)

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Challenge!

Here is a little graphic I created to poll my friends as to what kind of car they see me in. I deliberately omitted information as to make and model. All are from 1954, however, as that’s the most typical of the kind of car I’m next buying.

As I finished it up, I realized it would also make an excellent quiz.

So how about it, gang: Can anyone guess the make and model of all 21 of these 1954 model year vehicles?

Collage.jpg

Challenge!

Here is a little graphic I created to poll my friends as to what kind of car they see me in. I deliberately omitted information as to make and model. All are from 1954, however, as that’s the most typical of the kind of car I’m next buying.

As I finished it up, I realized it would also make an excellent quiz.

So how about it, gang: Can anyone guess the make and model of all 21 of these 1954 model year vehicles?

Collage.jpg

I can see you in that 54 Kaiser Manhattan there but the Buicks, Pontiacs and the Studebaker all have promise too. :p

Any of the '54 GM's would be a good bet. Though you can get a Ford from that year with a Flathead. How's bout a '54 Caddy? Or is that too ostentatious for your tastes?

DSC00758.JPG

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I can see you in that 54 Kaiser Manhattan there but the Buicks, Pontiacs and the Studebaker all have promise too. :p

I like the Kaiser, but I think my taste runs more toward the Buick or Pontiac - in that order. The Stude would be cool only because my dad always wanted one (albeit a hardtop or coupe).

Number 5 is a DeSoto. I'd know that smile anywhere -- our neighbor had one when I was a kid.

You’ve got that right. Although these days you’re more likely to encounter that smile in the mouth of a ‘49-‘51 Mercury!

Any of the '54 GM's would be a good bet. Though you can get a Ford from that year with a Flathead. How's bout a '54 Caddy? Or is that too ostentatious for your tastes?

Not a ‘54, but I have a soft spot for the ‘50-‘52 cars, especially the Series 61. I blame my dad’s love for Shell Scott novels.

The only Fords available with flathead V8s in ‘54 were the Canadian models; American V8 cars came with the brand-new Y-block.

I like the Kaiser, but I think my taste runs more toward the Buick or Pontiac - in that order. The Stude would be cool only because my dad always wanted one (albeit a hardtop or coupe).

Back in the day, my father had a 54 Kaiser. It was gutless so he took out the 6 and replaced it with the new Chevy V-8 at the time---265 V8. It still didn't have enough so on went the super charger. It was FAST. It looked like your regular Kaiser until you saw the dual exhaust and actually drove it. :p
So I know what a Kaiser is. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot