Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Carl Miller

One of the Regulars
The Malibu, the Caprice or the Impala?

Caprice

The Caprice 9c1's are awesome cars. I just disliked that bubble bodystyle. I think they could have done better, but the Aero Crown Vics that were around at the same time were even more horrendous.

Yes they are/were awesome cars. I still have the car. Its sitting out in the orchard waiting to die.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Installed the engine on the 52 Chevy trucks chassis:

24419_10.jpg

18115510.jpg

32140910.jpg

39916810.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some of you may recall my earlier posts about my late aunt's 1961 Chevy Bel Air and my efforts to get the car back in good running shape. It's been a little while since I posted an update on the progress I've made, but now I'm glad to say I think I've got all the mechanical "bugs" worked out. I've been driving the car on a regular basis for the past several months with no problems.

Over the past several months, I've saved up a little extra change and am now ready to move to the next step in the restoration process.

The car needs a new interior. My aunt had the interior done around 1980, and it now needs a new headliner, seat covers, and carpet. What is there now is in fair condition, but it really needs replacing to make the car look good. Also, there are some rust issues in the trunk and on one of the doors that need to be addressed, plus (of course) a new paint job. A little while back I did some "do-it-yourself" paint work just to help stabilize things, but now I'm ready for a "real" paint job.

My question: Should the interior work be done first or the paint/body work be first? I have the resources right now to do both, but wonder which, logistically speaking, needs to be addressed first.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

Some of you may recall my earlier posts about my late aunt's 1961 Chevy Bel Air and my efforts to get the car back in good running shape. It's been a little while since I posted an update on the progress I've made, but now I'm glad to say I think I've got all the mechanical "bugs" worked out. I've been driving the car on a regular basis for the past several months with no problems.

Over the past several months, I've saved up a little extra change and am now ready to move to the next step in the restoration process.

The car needs a new interior. My aunt had the interior done around 1980, and it now needs a new headliner, seat covers, and carpet. What is there now is in fair condition, but it really needs replacing to make the car look good. Also, there are some rust issues in the trunk and on one of the doors that need to be addressed, plus (of course) a new paint job. A little while back I did some "do-it-yourself" paint work just to help stabilize things, but now I'm ready for a "real" paint job.

My question: Should the interior work be done first or the paint/body work be first? I have the resources right now to do both, but wonder which, logistically speaking, needs to be addressed first.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice.
Do the paint first because of overspray and them getting in and out of the car. I prefer it that way. You can then have the interior installed and they will be careful with a newly painted car. Painters are not quite so careful. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'll second that.
In fact, I've done that.
Of course it's been painted over 15yrs and I still don't have the entire interior done.
As I always say "old cars require time and money, and they rarely meet on the same day.:D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the replies on the paint vs interior question. I thought paint/body work first, but I wanted to hear from others just in case there were some things I hadn't considered. I'm excited to be able to move forward with this project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy