Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cars

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
NEW PICS of my '31 rumble roadster

Just back form the paint shop.

31p1.jpg

31p2.jpg

I'm workin' on the top and interior now. Yowza!

Shimmy Sally

Wild Root said:
Oh dear, I'm sure you could have posted that auction before it ended... any member here who could bid on this would have my complete respect! $55,000. is a drop in the bucket for three perfect cars such as these!

Sorry, Son, you can't go to college afterall, but doesn't Mommy have pretty cars?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Automobile Parade NYC 1899!!

http://memory.loc.gov/mbrs/lcmp002/m2b46029.mpg

CREATED/PUBLISHED
United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1900.
SUMMARY
This may be the first annual automobile parade, held on November 4, 1899 in downtown Manhattan. At least ten different makes and models are seen, including electric and steam powered machines. Only three years earlier, in 1896, Henry Ford, Charles Brady King, Alexander Winton and Ransom Eli Olds had each introduced their gasoline cars. In 1900, the first National Auto Show was held at Madison Square Garden and the favorites were the electrics and the steamers. In 1901, new oil fields in Texas made gasoline affordable. That same year, mass production techniques were introduced into car manufacturing. These two factors would prove to be key developments in the rapid growth of the American automobile industry.

NOTES
Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 6Feb1900; D3293.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My little MG YB looks all forlorn and lonely in the garage.
j-o-q.jpg
Well that's what I tell myself when, really, I think that a sibling would be rather nice. Perhaps an MG VA
mgva2.jpg
But if I demolish the garage and build a bigger one I would have room for a couple of big cousins like the MG WA & MG SA.
MG_WA_1938.jpg mgsa.jpg
And I really should get something sporty for the missus in case she sees how much has gone out of the bank balance.
MG-TC 1948.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When my wife retired from the ambulance service she was determined to indulge herself with her lifelong passion of making her own, and my, clothes. Knowing that I would benefit I had a carpenter build her a sewing cabin. It has double wooden walls, floor and ceiling, all of which are insulated, very little artificial heat is needed to make it warm. She absolutely loves it and spends hours, lost to time, making our clothes. The carpenter fitted double opening doors and double glazed windows with lead flashing lining. Inside he made a number of purpose built shelves for her to display her collection of antique and vintage sewing machines.
Aloha 015.JPG

Inspired by this I have asked him if he can do something with our garage. It's a long double affair with it's side facing the garden and the rear next to the sewing cabin. The carpenter looked at the photo of the classic pre-war village garage and said that most of the appearance is from the ephemeral furniture and posters.
MG Octagon Garage.jpg

His idea is to open up the side of the garage and create a look that would resemble something like this.
1930s petrol.jpg

The cost wouldn't be that expensive, but the real costs are genuine period fuel pumps. Check out the price by Googling vintage fuel pumps.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you don't spend it somebody else will.
I have decided that if it won't cause financial hardship and I really want it after thinking it through, no impulsive foolishness, then damn the torpedos.
That's true, I wrestled with my conscience about spending £5K on a jukebox, that was 25 years ago, the novelty of that jukebox has never worn off.
422746823.JPG

When my wife retired from the ambulance service she was determined to indulge herself with her lifelong passion of making her own, and my, clothes. Knowing that I would benefit I had a carpenter build her a sewing cabin. It has double wooden walls, floor and ceiling, all of which are insulated, very little artificial heat is needed to make it warm. She absolutely loves it and spends hours, lost to time, making our clothes. The carpenter fitted double opening doors and double glazed windows with lead flashing lining. Inside he made a number of purpose built shelves for her to display her collection of antique and vintage sewing machines.
View attachment 110992
Inspired by this I have asked him if he can do something with our garage. It's a long double affair with it's side facing the garden and the rear next to the sewing cabin. The carpenter looked at the photo of the classic pre-war village garage and said that most of the appearance is from the ephemeral furniture and posters.
View attachment 110993
His idea is to open up the side of the garage and create a look that would resemble something like this.
View attachment 110995
The cost wouldn't be that expensive, but the real costs are genuine period fuel pumps. Check out the price by Googling vintage fuel pumps.

Great story - wonderful. Am I the only one who wants to see some of the clothes your wife has made? Also, maybe you could talk her into making you the Fair Isle vest the gentleman with his hands in his pockets is wearing in the Octagon Garage painting. And, wow, those pumps are expensive, but I'm with 3fingers on that. Good luck - hope you're able to get it all done.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Great story - wonderful. Am I the only one who wants to see some of the clothes your wife has made? Also, maybe you could talk her into making you the Fair Isle vest the gentleman with his hands in his pockets is wearing in the Octagon Garage painting. And, wow, those pumps are expensive, but I'm with 3fingers on that. Good luck - hope you're able to get it all done.
You've seen the Hawaiian shirts in the Aloha Shirt Thread. There was one garment, well two actually, that she made after I had a fruitless search online and at festivals and vintage markets. I was after a pair of, so called: "baggies." These being trousers of the mid to late 1930's. They had a 22" width at the bottom hem. It was easy to get the 18" hem, but the original no one had either heard of or had come across. Step forward Tina. "I'll make you a pair," she offered, and did. And then made a second pair. The first were in chocolate brown, the second maroon.
trousers.jpg hats 070.jpg
Also, maybe you could talk her into making you the Fair Isle vest the gentleman with his hands in his pockets is wearing in the Octagon Garage painting.
fair isle 002.JPG
There's evidence of her work in many a thread, although not much in the way of knitting. She knits for a therapy more than for pleasure, hand knitting is good exercise for arthritic fingers. The Fair Isle that I have shown you, like the purpose made baggies, is bespoke. I had been searching and searching for a Fair Isle in those mix of colours, without success, so Tina stepped up to the mark, found a pattern, and made it.
I don't know if you can expand the picture, but high up you might just see a tiny flaw. It's where she repaired a hole. Back in the day before smoking was banned, some moron had caught the fibres with the end of his cigarette. From the front it was hidden but from the back it looked awful, but the lady came to the rescue.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm supposed to be at an event called The MG Era, it's held annually at Brooklands. That's the former racing circuit with a high banking. When I got up earlier, my bladder screaming for relief, I heard the rain against the bathroom window. "Forget Brooklands," I thought, and went back to bed.

The text messages have been coming in all morning asking where am I. As yet I haven't answered, but I really don't know if I should say: "I took one look at the weather and went straight back to bed, or just blame the car, suggesting starting problems. Then again, what if it's persisting down for MG Live, in June?

MondoFW

Practically Family
1959cadeldodrsidefropen.jpg

A 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, my dream car. I know these don't exactly go for beans these days, but say I stumble upon a fantastic fortune; does anyone have any information on this car? Perks, values? Or is it just a pretty-looking junker that loses its novelty quickly? I've heard good things about this era of Cadillacs and Lincolns.

A 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, my dream car. I know these don't exactly go for beans these days, but say I stumble upon a fantastic fortune; does anyone have any information on this car? Perks, values? Or is it just a pretty-looking junker that loses its novelty quickly? I've heard good things about this era of Cadillacs and Lincolns.
If I had one, I'd drive the snot out I it. Hard to come by for a reasonable price, as are most old cars these days. Thank the TV shows and auctions for that [emoji35]

MondoFW

Practically Family
If I had one, I'd drive the snot out I it. Hard to come by for a reasonable price, as are most old cars these days. Thank the TV shows and auctions for that [emoji35]
You are definitely right, cars that used to be a dime a dozen are now becoming collector's models, and I'm skeptical on part availability for when I buy a vintage.
This dealership in Southeast Portland exclusively sells vintage cars (with the occasional early 2000s crapshoot), and they are very reputable. Can an expert tell me how decent some of the prices are? http://www.memorylaneclassiccars.com/index.php
Plan on getting my ride here ;)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Cadillac was still "the standard of the world" in those days. Get the best one you can find, you won't be disappointed.

The funny thing is if you buy the most desirable, and expensive vintage car you are almost guaranteed to make money when you sell it provided you don't wreck it or run it into the ground. Not so with a new car or run of the mill cheap old car.

59Lark

Practically Family
my Studebaker has sat since oct in the former tank corp maintenance building in our fairgrounds and I pulled out the choke and pushed down 10 times on the gas and turn the key and it started right up, the key broke off the day before putting it away, remember that today and said oops meant to order that, let it warm up for 5min, that Stromberg demands that, not bad for a car nearly sixty years old 59lark

1959 & 1960 Eldo's are very hard to find & you're going to have to pay when you do. A local individual has been trying to sell a nice 1975 Eldo convertible. He claims to be the 2nd owner (haven't seen the documentation). It's black with black interior & a fairly new black top w glass window. It's had one repaint I'm sure & now needs some chrome work. He started out asking $29,000 & is now at $22,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112