Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage clothing might lose you that job interview!!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know... I tend to think Brokers pretty conservative when in the midst of suit wearing throngs. I walked in wearing a brown three piece and a hat in hand and landed the position.

Few years later I had on a Navy blue double breasted with sripes, striped shirt and grey trousers and brown shoes and hat in hand and landed that position as well.

I think it's the person, not the clothes... I could be wrong, though if you own the outfit, they hire the person and not the clothes.

I can see why people not used to dealing with others who look different would be put off by Cab walking into an interview (personaly i'd be thrilled to see someone with some style):

CabCalloway.jpg

but a conservative suit that's cut a little different? Who'd really notice? Or care? I suspect Matt D's experience is more accurate than the horror stories of "wear brown and you'll never get hired". If what you've got to say is interesting enough, people will listen.

Or that's generally the mantra of a meritocratic system like science academia.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80