Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Coffee Makers

Bumping this thread with a example of some of my coffee makers......
1648221384625.png
1648220844712.png
1648220965671.png
1648221113675.png
1648221210463.png

Love the Vac Pots.
Yes....those Vac Pots are my favorites and most often used. I use the Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A (made in the 40's) almost everyday as it is an automatic. When I have more time the 30's Silex Delray hits the stove as shown.....I actually like to use the Revere ware percolator to make tea, has a really wide basket and actually prevents over extraction of the tea when used right (And YES that is tea and not coffee in the picture of each percolator.. :-O......I like a good strong tea as well as coffee).

Yes....those Vac Pots are my favorites and most often used. I use the Sunbeam Coffeemaster C30A (made in the 40's) almost everyday as it is an automatic. When I have more time the 30's Silex Delray hits the stove as shown.....I actually like to use the Revere ware percolator to make tea, has a really wide basket and actually prevents over extraction of the tea when used right (And YES that is tea and not coffee in the picture of each percolator.. :-O......I like a good strong tea as well as coffee).
The only Vac Pot I have now is the modern Yama Glass. I do have a Silex glass rod for it.

Do you have any source for gaskets? Any brands easier to find gaskets & parts for than others?
Yes, and Yes.....I have a source in Florida who makes about 5 or 6 different gaskets....Cory and Sunbeam electrics....and Silex and Cory glass along with one for the Steel Nicro, and a couple of others. I just ordred a replacement for my Sunbeam and Nicro and can highly recommend him.
You can see them here: https://dayseal.net/products

Sometimes if you have an off brand maker like the Knapp Monarch (made in St Louis, which may interest you) often one of the other gaskets will work will little effort.

Sometimes you CAN find original factory replacements on the Bay......as a rule they are in good useable condition.....it is the exposure to the heat of actually making coffee that hardens them over time....

I have an old silver percolator with a rounded globe window & a spigot. I should probably photograph it. I always wanted a Sunbeam Coffeemaster electric percolator with the Sputnik or Atomic pattern.

I have part of a Cona (one globe broken) & two sizes of old hand blown Chemex pour overs.

I have an old silver percolator with a rounded globe window & a spigot. I should probably photograph it. I always wanted a Sunbeam Coffeemaster electric percolator with the Sputnik or Atomic pattern.

I have part of a Cona (one globe broken) & two sizes of old hand blown Chemex pour overs.
Your percolator sounds like a "Coffee Robot".....those are pretty cool looking. I actually don't have one but do see them around. Here is an internet picture of one....made by Farberware.
1648560608290.png

Here is a mid-60's "Jet-O-Matic" made in Biloxi Mississippi, all stainless by this time (bakelight handles and base).

Originally invented in 1951 and made in Michigan, it was marketed with several companies including "Dunkin Hine" , "Wear Ever" and "Salad Master" with their logo's (on the bottom) but always called the "Jet-O-Matic" "model 10". Mine is self marketed.

Not exactly a percolator....it works by injecting steamed water over the grounds, water never operating over 200 degrees (and I verified this temperature as true, my finished coffee was a nice 185 degrees in the pot).

And...YES...it has an interesting loud injection steam sound "like a jet plane" as they say....:D

1652739578752.png
1652739609818.png

Last edited:
Any retro espresso makers?

In chrome, art decoish?​
I’ve seen several in recent years with a decidedly “retro” look. (Yeah, I know, your post dates from 2008.)

Home espresso machines are much improved over what they were when I first experienced them, going on 40 years ago now. And while I have yet to use any of the several retro-styled machines available, the reviews I read on the Seattle Coffee Gear say good things about some of them. SCG has product test videos, etc., which are worth checking out if you’re looking to drop a few hundred bucks or more on a home espresso machine.

Part of me wants a true vintage manual espresso machine, but really, I can’t see how it would improve my life over the late-model Breville on my kitchen counter. Those old things are finicky and have lots of little parts given to failure and most of them occupy lots of space and they take much longer to warm up, etc.

This coffee set was made by Manning-Bowman Company and is serial/dated August 1938. The set is called the "Harmony" and "Iris" for the individual pieces, it was introduced around 1936 and featured in their 1937 appliances catalog, it was one of the first 'Modernist" Art Deco designs of the period. Originally selling for the princely sum of $32.50!!!!!
Copied by others, this Ball Design became quite popular and was a style produced well into the 1950's.......
1661606918242.png
1661606967546.png

As an old Artillerist, I call it my "Cannonball Coffee Set".;)

Circa 1955 GE 30P30 9 cup percolator....these were introduced in the 50's and made to at least 1966 (and selling for 29.95 then). These had GREAT mid-century design, with a Art Deco feel. The first models had dark brown Bakelite (as does this one) with the later ones being made in black. These have an adjustable perk time with a "re-heat" feature (re-heat....eeeewwwwww:rolleyes: I will just drink it cold thank you!:oops:).
1664831341567.png
1664831424486.png
1664831470993.png

Last edited:
1st model "Perfecto" aluminum vacuum pot, with lid/upper stand and complete with original screen filter. Introduced in 1946 the design was changed in mid-late 1949 with the introduction of a "B" model (and later a third and final "C" model was made). As with most vacuum pots it makes some good "Joe"......with the caveat, that I do decant the coffee as soon as made to avoid too long being in contact with pot to prevent that metallic taste that can occur otherwise....for some reason spun aluminum is more likely than the cast to give off that metallic flavor.
1675962459612.png

1675962486750.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112