Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cologne

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I have a quick question for the group. Are there any classic men's colognes that are still around? Mostly something from 1928 till about 1950 is what I'm looking for. Also, perhaps, something newer but is "scented vintage." I'm looking for a new, to me, cologne (and aftershave too, if possible) for the winter.

I searched for a thread on this but I could not find one. Let me know if there is a thread on this and my caveman computer skills have let me down.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Hi Yeps.
I actually tried some Old Spice today. My wife liked it, but wasn't in love with it. I noticed that I can only put a couple of drops in my hand and that does well. Any more and it kind of over powers me, and her. However, she does say I smell "like a man's man" in it.

I'm a little worried about the "old man" factor of old spice too.

Have you or anyone else tried a "Spanish leather" type of cologne?

Pompidou

One Too Many
I use Abercrombie and Fitch's Fierce - the stuff they pump through their stores in malls, but there are lots of old colognes out there that still work. I used to use English Leather because my dad did. They all smell okay to me. I just get more compliments using stuff I paid too much for.

Optionseeker

New in Town
I have some expensive cologne (Armani Curve), some less expensive ones like West India Lime (my fave) but Old Spice is the only one that elicits that elusive 'Mmmmm, you smell good'.

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
You may have luck with the Penhaligons range - some of those are definitely vintage inspired like Blenheim Bouquet from 1902. They have both US and Euro stores and will send you testers.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SlyGI said:
Are there any classic men's colognes that are still around? Mostly something from 1928 till about 1950 is what I'm looking for.
Creed offers several vintage scents and then of course there's Acqua Di Parma

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Trumper's in London have been making cologne and shaving products since 1875, and they are excellent. Although Acqua di Parma scents are pretty hot stuff, i will second Tomasso on that!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Hap Hapablap said:
The Brooks Bros. outlet stores tend to have their nice Bay Rum cologne super cheap. That seems like a quintessential old-time scent.

I use a shaving balm, not after-shave or cologne, but it's Bay Rum.

I also use a tobacco-scented spray that I guess would qualify as cologne. Smells like pipe tobacco (but the scent doesn't last terribly long).

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Two great Vintage men's colognes are Caron's Pour un Homme and the original Dunhill for Men--both from 1934. Old school but timeless!

RobStC

A-List Customer
SlyGI said:
Have you or anyone else tried a "Spanish leather" type of cologne?

I use Trumpers Spanish Leather as my everyday cologne, and it seems to have a good general balance of acceptability for most people - ie it smells nice (I get quite a few positive comments) but is in no way overpowering, too strong or too distinctive. So, it works for me as an everyday fragrance. It is pretty traditional and definitely has a vintage smell to it.

I also use Creeds Russian Leather as an evening cologne - much more distinctive, a real 'love it or hate it' sort of fragrance, and in truth probably too 'particular' to be an everyday fragrance. But it's the real McCoy in that it's been around for a long time. It really is quite unlike any of the more modern fragrances that I've come across. If it works for you, then you'll probably be a convert; if not, then you'll think anyone who does wear it is mad!

Happy explorations.....

RobStC

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Anyone here try J. Peterman's or Col. Littleton's colognes? Both companies are sending me a small sample, but I would like to know any opinions from others (more specifically, opinions from those around those who use them).

Thanks,

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I'm a big fan of the Peterman 1903. Great scent. I have the big splash bottle, I think it's my 2nd I'm working on. I've found that putting it into an atomizer gives me better scent duration vs. the spash on application though.

Betz

New in Town
I generally wear Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein. It is not, of course, vintage, but it still exudes a strong sense of masculinity like a lot of old colognes did. A nice big bottle will put you back about $80 at Macys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran