Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage cookbooks

Katue

Familiar Face
I've been looking throug the 'Show us your vintage home!' thread and noticed a picture of 2 vintage cook books posted by cowboy76. I'm keen on cooking, I even used to have my blog... Unfortunately now I don't have enough time to post there. But I still cook a lot. I have a hungry husband to feed, you know :)
So... Who else has any vintage cook books? May be you could type here your favourite vintage recipes? May be you have your old family recipes? Or just recommend any old cook boots?
:p

zombi

A-List Customer
I have a 1943 printing of The American Woman's Cookbook. It's a "Victory Binding" and "wartime" edition. The back section includes a section titled "Wartime Cookery", where it has menus for weeks using your rations and advice on how to make your food last, etc. This book is really great; while I will have to edit many of the recipes inside due to food allergy problems, I am looking forward to cooking out of it when I have time.

Since I have several photos of it, I'll just post the links so you can click on them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396103949/in/set-72157625883869690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396702856/in/set-72157625883869690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396703768/in/set-72157625883869690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396704582/in/set-72157625883869690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396705492/in/set-72157625883869690/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/katherynne/5396706590/in/set-72157625883869690/

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I have a 1943 printing of The American Woman's Cookbook. It's a "Victory Binding" and "wartime" edition. The back section includes a section titled "Wartime Cookery", where it has menus for weeks using your rations and advice on how to make your food last, etc.

Hey I have that book!! It was given to me by my grandmother. Oh wait, I just looked. Mine is the "America's Cook Book" but it has a similar 'Wartime Supplement" in the back and although the first few pages are missing (the cover is duct taped on) I'm told it was published in 1944. Looks to be about the same size as yours.

Matt

Katue

Familiar Face
Zombie, it's amazing! What a great book. It's organised as a dictionary - so convenient! Thank you so much? Zombie! I'm going to order my The American Cook Book war edition from ebay! I'm so looking forward to it! :)

Lady Day, thanks.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I actually collect old cookbooks...I have several that break recipes out by different regions of the country, which is fun. I love old ladies' auxiliary and church cookbooks, although frequently the instructions assume a great deal about one's cooking and baking abilities.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Has anyone seen an original copy of The Joy of Cooking? I use the '75 edition of JoC constantly and have been meaning to pick up the reprinted '31 edition.

Last edited:

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I have a 1964 edition of joy of cooking which was my grandfather's (held together with duck tape...)

Some of the books I have here, many more are still at my mother's and I haven't pulled them out of the basement yet:

The American Woman's Cookbook, 1939
The United States Regional Cookbook, 1940 (same publisher & editor as above)

most are later:
Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook (first edition) 1950
The Storecast Cookbook by Lily Wallace, 1951
Holiday Candy & Cookie Book, 1954
Farm Journal's Country Cookbook, 1959

Some are older:
Mrs. Putnam's Receipt Book & Young Housekeeper's Assistant, 1850

I also have random pamplets like "How to Decorate Halls, Booths & Automobiles" from 1923. Pre-Cocoanut Grove, so it's all ridiculously flammable and you'd never get away with it today.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Several years ago I gave a friend a book called "Dinner in the Diner". It was a modern compilation of recipes used by various railroads in the golden age of rail travel. Some of the recipes were just plain unmakeable, but some were pretty cool.
The Great Northern Railroad, which ran through the great state of Idaho, had about a 4 page set of instructions on how to bake a potato. And there was another fascinating recipe from the Southern Pacific Railroad for cantaloupe pie.
Now that I think of it, I think I'll check the 'Bay and Alibris for a copy.
Edit: They have it, for as low as $9.25. Author is Will Hollister.

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I collect vintage cookbooks too. My favourite is probably my 1952 edition of A book of Mediterranean Food by Elizabeth David (this book started off my Elizabeth David obsession, I have almost all of her books).
5518015247_eb5bb72a82.jpg

but I'm also very found of Cooking in wartime by Elizabeth Craig
5518015683_45a68203db.jpg

Katue

Familiar Face
may be someone could post his/her favourite vintage recipes? I'd really tike to try them!

lolly_loisides, what a beautiful collection!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
may be someone could post his/her favourite vintage recipes? I'd really tike to try them!

lolly_loisides, what a beautiful collection!

Or even vintage recipes from more modern cookbooks?

Hoppin' John from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American (1987)

Ingredients:
- 1/2 pound bacon cut in 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup black eyed peas
- 1 med. onion
- 4 cup water
Directions:
Put the peas and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer until the peas are tender, (Approx. 1 hour). Drain the peas, but save keep the water for later. Saute the bacon and onion until the onion is clear. Put the beans, bacon, onion, and rice into the saucepan with 2 1/2 cups of the saved water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, covered. Allow the dish to rest off the heat for 10 minutes before you lift the lid.

So simple, but so so good :)

Last edited:

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
I'm terrible about actually following recipes...I generally compare 2-3 different recipes for the same dish, then make up some variation on my own. I probalby use the American Woman's Cookbook and the Farm Journal Cookbook the most as my starting point for classic dishes...

Not a true vintage cookbook, but fantastic vintage/historic recipes: L.L. Bean's book of New New England Cookery. Really good recipes, interesting historical facts and stories about recipes...probably one of my favorites, because so many of the recipes are timeless.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Ham Noodles??

So, Tenuki was at a friend's mother's house this weekend and saw a 1946 Joy of Cooking. She flipped through it and saw a recipe called "Ham Noodles" but doesn't recall if it was a casserole or actual noodles made from ham ;). Does anyone have a '46 JoC that can enlighten us?

p71towny

Familiar Face
I have several old cookbooks. Only time they let me down is when I went to make these "Christmas" cookies that burnt out my hand mixer. I was kinda pissed and the cookies tasted like crap.

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
I have a copy of "The American Woman's Cookbook" on the way to me, courtesy of ebay. Also a copy of "The Modern Family Cookbook" (1944).

On hand I have The Fanny Farmer Cookbook, The Boston Cooking School Cookbook (1947), The CIA Cookbook, and, while not vintage, I have a cookbook of Depression Era recipes. That's it for the vintage. Everything else I have is modern, but I'm starting to weed through them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass