Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Cooking! LOL!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
My mother in law is the perfect person for finding things because she loves yard sales,flea markets and junk stores.

Every year in Dayton there is this big thing called Junkarama and she always goes to it.
Not too long ago she found a cook book for me. She knows I love old cook books and I kinda collect them.
The one she found was called The American Woman's Cook Book. On the inside it says Victory Binding Of The American Woman's Cook Book Wartime Edition. Copyrighted 1944.
It's really cool. it has all kinds of info on nutrition and meal planning.
Even how to pack a lunch. LOL.

If anyone is in need of a recipe for stuffed possum I have one. LOL!!
Seriously, It's in here.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Real Swell Gal said:
If anyone is in need of a recipe for stuffed possum I have one. LOL!!
Seriously, It's in here.
lol I have a book from 1947 with some very strange recipes, such as Muskrat Maryland, Woodchuck Pie, "Ding's" Raccoon Pie, Possum and Sweet Potatoes, and Roast Beaver A La Michigan.

Just makes your mouth water, doesn't it? :p

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
no kidding!! i have the same exact book!!lol
i had no idea a stuffed possum recepie was in there!! lol lol
i knew i liked this book...
Mine looks different than yours. And I know she didn't pay $45 for it!!!
http://www.digmodern.com/product/5949
Okay in my copy it's on page 302.
Opossum Roast.
Pigeon Pie is on page 295

The Ox Tail Soup doesn't sound too bad. Page 23 in the Wartime Cookery section.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I can see making cookies out of catsup. We make tomato jelly and eat it on bread. It's good. Sometimes savory things that don't sound like they'd be good sweet, really are.
Pepper peach jelly is good too.

zaika

One Too Many
Real Swell Gal said:
Mine looks different than yours. And I know she didn't pay $45 for it!!!
http://www.digmodern.com/product/5949
Okay in my copy it's on page 302.
Opossum Roast.
Pigeon Pie is on page 295

The Ox Tail Soup doesn't sound too bad. Page 23 in the Wartime Cookery section.

i'm going to look that up! lol

i didn't pay $45 for mine either. more like...$12.

and in the recepie thread (in the Golden Age room), i posted the recipie for sweet potato WAFFLES. lol lol they actually sound delicious.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have a reprint of a Norwegian copy of a war tim cookbook. It har a whole section dedicated to the use of seabirds like seagulls. They might taste like old fish oil, with the consistensy of old shoes. But just put in a milkbath for two days, then in water for three days and do some other mumbo jumbo and then it is almost edible!

I don't remember if there is a recipe for it in there, but one of the most legendary war time dishes is waffles made with fish eggs! And beet beef fried in cod liver oil. Yummy!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Helen Troy said:
I have a reprint of a Norwegian copy of a war tim cookbook. It har a whole section dedicated to the use of seabirds like seagulls. They might taste like old fish oil, with the consistensy of old shoes. But just put in a milkbath for two days, then in water for three days and do some other mumbo jumbo and then it is almost edible!

I don't remember if there is a recipe for it in there, but one of the most legendary war time dishes is waffles made with fish eggs! And beet beef fried in cod liver oil. Yummy!
*yucky*

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
First, thanks for putting this in the Observation Bar instead of The Powder Room so I can read and respond to it.
The Joy of Cooking has recipes for opossum, porcupine, racoon, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver, beaver tail, armadillo and, my favorite, squirrel. It recommends grey squirrel to red squirrels which are gamy in flavor.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:
First, thanks for putting this in the Observation Bar instead of The Powder Room so I can read and respond to it.
The Joy of Cooking has recipes for opossum, porcupine, racoon, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver, beaver tail, armadillo and, my favorite, squirrel. It recommends grey squirrel to red squirrels which are gamy in flavor.

Sincerely,
The Wolf
Squirrel is actually pretty good. Armidilo, I think I'll pass on.
My grandmother used to fry squirrel like chicken and then make gravy and mashed potatoes. Good stuff.

Idledame

Practically Family
Oxtail stew is great. No one knows why they are called that and not beeftail or cowtail which is what it is. And as far as catsup cookies, I believe I have a more recent cookie recipe from Cambell's soups that calls for tomato soup.

jayem

A-List Customer
We have a giant cookbook from 1937 which, not only instructs you on how to build you're own root cellar, but also teaches you how to skin your own animals, and also prepare big game such as moose and elk. In the back, theres a little section on preparing meals for a week, with grocery lists and all. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week under $20 or something.

Josephine

One Too Many
jayem said:
We have a giant cookbook from 1937 which, not only instructs you on how to build you're own root cellar, but also teaches you how to skin your own animals, and also prepare big game such as moose and elk. In the back, theres a little section on preparing meals for a week, with grocery lists and all. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a week under $20 or something.

Neat! What's the name of it?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL