Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage cossack jacket?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The jacket back shot shows the jacket laid flat kind of messy - not aligned not buttoned - so it's difficult to tell but it looks like the shoulder seam is relatively centered, only a little towards the rear (look at the left shoulder, the left side is laid flat properly) which makes 30s more likely than 20s.
However, the slow migration of the placement of the shoulder seam from quite far to the rear in the 10s/20s to centered/top of shoulder in the 50s is only a conservative indicator of the decade a jacket was made. Still, a 20s jacket would be unlikely to have the seam more towards the top of the shoulder. A 30s jacket could.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well if you don't buy it let me know and feel free to share the source cause in that case I'd buy it (I'll do my own haggling).
I'm located in Germany as well, btw.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket back shot shows the jacket laid flat kind of messy - not aligned not buttoned - so it's difficult to tell but it looks like the shoulder seam is relatively centered, only a little towards the rear (look at the left shoulder, the left side is laid flat properly) which makes 30s more likely than 20s.
However, the slow migration of the placement of the shoulder seam from quite far to the rear in the 10s/20s to centered/top of shoulder in the 50s is only a conservative indicator of the decade a jacket was made. Still, a 20s jacket would be unlikely to have the seam more towards the top of the shoulder. A 30s jacket could.
I first read about this indicator many years ago ( I think it was in Alison Lurie's The Language of Clothes) and I was a bit skeptical at first, but I've since seen it borne out over and over again. Really fascinating.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

shoulder seam centered
upload_2020-1-1_20-2-31.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Looks like all the buttons are off.
Lovely jacket though. I would so send these photos to Theodoros, and have it made longer.

Why do you think all the buttons are off? Hard to tell from the picture but I think there's just one non-original:
upload_2020-1-1_21-9-35.jpeg

Because 1 side is longer than the other.
Looks like the bottom 2 are off, and the pockets aren’t different enough to be cool...just a mistake.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Nice one. So you bought it? Whenever you decide to shift it, PM me and I'll take it.

The asymmetry could have been caused by water/rain and uneven drying afterwards. Not too unusual for suede of this age to behave funnily.
My guess is 1930s U.S.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
When buttoned the left side is pulled down 3/4 inch lower than it should be which makes it look as if the pockets are off. It may have been stretched when wet as suggested above.

I like the collar of this jacket, I normally dislike the Little Lord Fauntleroy shawl collars on these styles which can make them look prissy.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Nice one. So you bought it? Whenever you decide to shift it, PM me and I'll take it.

The asymmetry could have been caused by water/rain and uneven drying afterwards. Not too unusual for suede of this age to behave funnily.
My guess is 1930s U.S.

Didn't buy it yet. The 'new' pictures are actually from the instagram account of some vintage dealer (located in Indonesia!) who had it up for sale a year ago.

I was about to pick it up last Tuesday but he had to cancel. Haven't been able to make a new appointment yet. I'll most likely hold on to it for a few months and then shift it. Then it will be yours :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ