Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Daily Wear

kerry

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
I can totally understand what you're talking about. When I started sewing garments for historical reenactment (17th cent stuff), I quickly got used to wearing only 100% cotton, linen or wool. I won't wear anything that's polyester. Now that I've started sewing with vintage and repro patterns, I don't know if I can go back to modern patterns. The vintage patterns fit me so much better, without a ton of alterations.

I feel exactly the same way about fabrics and fit. I will not buy anymore modern clothes now.
I do 17th Century stuff too Kamikat, although I do spend most of my time in breeches as I go on the field as a musketeer. Ive got to knock myself up some 1660's girly clothes over the next 4 weeks:eek:

Kishtu

Practically Family
Kerry - you're not a Sealed Knotter are you?

(by the way - the 1660s girlie clothes - it's wot I do professionally. Just kitted out an Aphra Behn production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Never want to see another eyelet in my life.)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
Does anybody else find that having worn vintage, they find it hard to go back?

Hahaha Not exactly vintage so much length... Mind you I don't mind short shorts and short skirts... I love them in fact! But I had to laugh at myself when I went to the ballgame the otherday. I have gotten so used to knee length skirts, that when I wore the shorter jersey uniform (mid thigh)... I felt too breezey! Hahaha And my shirt was still longer than most of those other broads and their shorts!

Kishtu

Practically Family
and sloppy finishing! aaaaargh! that thing where you pull a loose thread and the whole seam unravels, what's that all about??

- she says, today wearing the classic combo of "somebody else's trousers" (three sizes too big and sliding dowanwards with every step) and a big hand-knit jumper....

kerry

One of the Regulars
Kishtu said:
Kerry - you're not a Sealed Knotter are you?

(by the way - the 1660s girlie clothes - it's wot I do professionally. Just kitted out an Aphra Behn production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Never want to see another eyelet in my life.)

No, ECWS:)
If I get stuck with the 166O's outfit I might ask for some advice, if thats ok?

Kishtu

Practically Family
Fine by me! advice I don't mind, but oversewing any more eyelet holes every again in this life *shudder*....

Ah, ECWS. Do you know my friend Paul who has an online bookshop?
(that was suitably vague in case anyone thinks I'm advertising his business!) Not sure what regiment he's in, sadly, but he has long blonde hair!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Kishtu said:
Fine by me! advice I don't mind, but oversewing any more eyelet holes every again in this life *shudder*....

(that was suitably vague in case anyone thinks I'm advertising his business!) Not sure what regiment he's in, sadly, but he has long blonde hair!

I may know him by sight. Is he Kings Army? or the enemy?:D

kerry

One of the Regulars
Kishtu said:

Oh, I know the bookshop!!
I have never met him, I didnt know he was in ECWS.

Kishtu

Practically Family
I've got a nasty feeling he's Kings Army.... why is it everyone I know is on the wrong side..... *sigh*

You might deduce from this that I'm firmly in the enemy camp :)
Technically I'm a dragoon in the Armie of Parliament! but in the Knot so don't worry, we're not likely to meet on a battlefield any time soon....

Kishtu

Practically Family
No? I'm pretty sure he is, cos you guys have events at the Commandery in Worcester, don't you - it's near his HQ.

I recommend him as a bookseller, not just because he's a friend, but two reasons - one, my parents actually went round to his house once when they were on holiday, to get a birthday present for me (set of bandoliers) and he was incredibly welcoming and friendly despite the fact that these two complete strangers had just turned up on his doorstep, and two, last time I bought anything from him he sent me a freebie pamphlet because he thought I'd be interested in it, on making buttons.

He's actually something of a mentor for our business, it's ALL his fault that we're thinking about starting trading at events next year!

kerry

One of the Regulars
Kishtu said:
I've got a nasty feeling he's Kings Army.... why is it everyone I know is on the wrong side..... *sigh*

You might deduce from this that I'm firmly in the enemy camp :)
Technically I'm a dragoon in the Armie of Parliament! but in the Knot so don't worry, we're not likely to meet on a battlefield any time soon....

You're one of those nutters that charge about the field on horseback then:D
but a fellow black powder junkie;)

Kishtu

Practically Family
Yes.... but tell you what, the one person you don't wanna mess with on this board is Bertie Wooster.

He's not only a black powder junkie, but a powder monkey who plays with cannons...... BIG bang sticks!

WardlawsatDetling.jpg

(I'm the little one in the middle with the green hatband!)

timorous me

Familiar Face
I wear vintage almost every day (in mild weather, anyway), but I'm not a purist in the least. I don't really do my hair or makeup in the style. I'm generally seen in a vintage (NOT repro) dress, modern blazer (I wear a blazer every day, they are tremendously abused, so the true vintage ones are NOT for everyday wear), china flats, nude fishnets.

I don't really go for any particular look or "era," I just really like vintage dresses. Modern clothing seems so cheaply made to me. I'll only buy modern clothing from department store clearance racks - mostly suit pants and jackets - I call it my "disposable clothing." (They fall apart after one or two wearings but they only cost a dollar!)

I used to get a lot more of "those looks," but recently it's been nothing but compliments, especially from my coworkers. The older ladies really seem to like the way I dress (my adopted workplace grandma always makes sure to stop by to say "Baby I just LOVE that dress, I had one just like it!")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot