Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Desecration - Things Altered/Repurposed, and a Vintage Treasure Lost Forever.

Tomasso said:
3nf3m53o35Qd5T05S89c512f2385ac43d16.jpg

match-flame.jpg

Wait, wait!!!! You can still save the frame---burn the upholstery. I can agree with you there. ;) :p

And now I'm having a similar dilemma, with a vintage firearm component purchased to study for a project. The historian/engineer in me says "take it apart, reverse-engineer it, reassemble it and send it on to someone who can use it for a restoration", but the limited-skill-metalworker in me (and Certified Lazy ba***rd) says "just use the mechanism from my sample bayonet with a new blade attached."

What's the verdict? To reverse-engineeer and then build a new one from parts (even then, they'd be vintage parts from scrapped rifles), or just use what I have and modify it?

Diamondback said:
And now I'm having a similar dilemma, with a vintage firearm component purchased to study for a project. The historian/engineer in me says "take it apart, reverse-engineer it, reassemble it and send it on to someone who can use it for a restoration", but the limited-skill-metalworker in me (and Certified Lazy ba***rd) says "just use the mechanism from my sample bayonet with a new blade attached."

What's the verdict? To reverse-engineeer and then build a new one from parts (even then, they'd be vintage parts from scrapped rifles), or just use what I have and modify it?

I am not clear on how you would modify anything if you use all vintage parts. Would you be modifying anything to the detriment of originality or just to make it fit your usage? [huh]

Story is, I'm adapting a CZ52 bayonet-mechanism design to fit on an AK47 derivative. It's going to have a different blade, bigger and thicker than the original in addition to having a sterling-silver top-edge, and the existing spring mechanism is going to be replaced with an arm connected to a small hydraulic cylinder, yielding a more powerful mechanism rotating it--the mount itself with associated hinge and its pushbutton-release would probably be the last original components used. (OTOH, I could build up the new blade around the original...)

Mods would be for the intended application, but originality would take some big hits--which is why part of me says "once I've completed studying the sample, build from scrapyard parts and sell the complete sample to a restorer". The project name (although this is just one small piece of it) is already "Abomination", if that tells you anything.:eek:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of vintage firearms, my brother, decades ago, was in possession of our dad's 1931 Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge shot gun. At that point he thought he wanted to be a gunsmith, so he decided he'd try to add some checkering to the grip. So it wound up with an unfinished half assed job of checkering on the grip. He lived to deeply repent his youthful indiscretion.
He found a pro to sort of restore it years later, but was rather disappointed with the results.

Yeah, Dan, that one had to suck--my condolences. OTOH, at least the family still has the iron... my mother's rectal-wipe brother didn't even wait for the corpse to finish assuming room-temperature before he had sold Grandpa's old USAF sidearm to buy rotgut.

Problem for me is, the CZ52's the only rifle with a pushbutton-release bayonet I've found in the historical record... and the project specs call for one specifically modeled after the '52.

Housekeeping note: this isn't about "guns", it's about "vintage items and how far they can be repurposed without going into desecration".

Foofoogal

Banned
I have always had an interest in putting items back together and it seems the last few years lamp parts (especially Fenton ) come to me like a magnet.
I was so happy to sell a shade to someone that really needed it as they had 2 and needed a 3rd. to complete the lamp.
While others are taking things apart I am trying to bring them back home again. lol
Does anyone else do that? Preserving history is very important.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
Does anyone else do that? Preserving history is very important.

Well, I've been trying to locate some of the parts I need for my Hoover restoration... its hard!

But, there are those who feel they can make more money off of the parts then selling something complete.

And the other thing that really busts me up is when someone will see a deco sofa but, doesn't want the matching arm chair or wants to bust up a seat of bedroom furniture because they want to be eclectic and not have a matching set... BOOO!

Preserving history is very important!;)

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Amen brother! Breaking up sets is one of my biggest pet peeves! Vintage/antique furniture dealers do it all the time because it's speeds up the inventory turnover time and it really gets my goat!

Forgotten Man said:
And the other thing that really busts me up is when someone will see a deco sofa but, doesn't want the matching arm chair or wants to bust up a seat of bedroom furniture because they want to be eclectic and not have a matching set... BOOO!

Preserving history is very important!;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My ears are burning - I've got a bedroom set from my great-great-aunt, one of those French Provincial ones in cream (well mine is more of a greenish ecru) with gold trim - a big long dresser, an equally long massive mirror, two nightstands, and a tall bureau. I don't want to hurt any of them, but really, splitting them up is the same as destroying? :(

I am never going to have room for an Art Deco vanity.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
Ladies and Gentleman, I present the worst recover ever

You know, you should be careful what you post. Some of us having just eaten. That is nothing short of appalling. Tomasso, I think it is the folks that did that horrid job you ought to be putting the match to! Burning them at the stake would be an incredibly traditional, vintage way of dealing with such heresy.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
If you alter it as you are describing, it will still be the same waistcoat with the same character and basic appearance. Besides, it's always been common practice to have clothes altered. I don't see this as desecration.
The only thing is that it will be irreversably altered as part of the material on the sides has to be cut off. Therefore it will only ever fit a 38 chest and never again a 40. That said, I want it for myself to keep for a long time (and genetically I'm unlikely to ever get much wider) so it will only have to fit me.

Foofoogal

Banned
one of those French Provincial ones in cream

and I know people who look high and low for those sets. Wild what people tire of and others want. lol

I have a bedroom set that is double bed, vanity with mirror, dresser with mirror and small ladies chifforobe. The one and only reason I keep the whole set is for the chifforobe. Perfect for sweaters with shelves. Not sure about age. 1940s maybe. I will not break up the set and want to keep the ladies chifforobe so...[huh]

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Dude, don't worry so much!

There is a world of difference between irrevocably tailoring a piece of clothing so as to use it as it was intended and desecrating something past recognition in an unholy way.

If I find something, but in needs tweeking to fit, and I plan on keeping it forever, I tweek! This simple philosophy is the reason my vintage clothes collection is as cool as it is lol!

avedwards said:
The only thing is that it will be irreversably altered as part of the material on the sides has to be cut off. Therefore it will only ever fit a 38 chest and never again a 40. That said, I want it for myself to keep for a long time (and genetically I'm unlikely to ever get much wider) so it will only have to fit me.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
and I know people who look high and low for those sets. Wild what people tire of and others want. lol

I have a bedroom set that is double bed, vanity with mirror, dresser with mirror and small ladies chifforobe. The one and only reason I keep the whole set is for the chifforobe. Perfect for sweaters with shelves. Not sure about age. 1940s maybe. I will not break up the set and want to keep the ladies chifforobe so...[huh]

Why isn't the rest of the set pleasing? I have always found those sets just dreamy! Is it waterfall style with lots of matched veneer?

Maybe if you find a good chifforobe by its self, you can buy it and then sell of the whole set to a lounger who'd really like the whole set? Just an idea.;)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
avedwards said:

Like others have mentioned, tailoring something to fit (within reason) is completely acceptable and normal. I mean, if you have a suit in a size 44 Long and you're a size 38 R and you want to cut it down to fit, you'd be best off selling off the larger sized suit to buy one in your own size due to the fact that smaller sizes are easier to find and that I'd come and beat the tar out of anyone cutting down a large suit like that!lol

But, you also have to take into account that even if you may be thin now, years down the road you may find a few pounds may find themselves on ya some how... age is a crazy thing, trust me, I know. But, enjoy it for what it is now and know that reasonable tailoring is something many did, have done and do now.

Foofoogal

Banned
Not sure what it is. I have never seen another like it. Not waterfall. It is really unique and beautiful. I am just sort of tired of it. awful huh..that happens alot to me.
Has a bowed footboard. I will have to take some photos later. So busy right now. I also want to take photos to show of our reupholstered 1930s rockers. So nice.

Forgotten Man said:
Like others have mentioned, tailoring something to fit (within reason) is completely acceptable and normal. I mean, if you have a suit in a size 44 Long and you're a size 38 R and you want to cut it down to fit, you'd be best off selling off the larger sized suit to buy one in your own size due to the fact that smaller sizes are easier to find and that I'd come and beat the tar out of anyone cutting down a large suit like that!lol

I think I might want in on that. :p Buy a size 38. They are much more common. I wouldn't care too much of you made a 38 into a 36 though. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace