Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Dobbs Questions

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
astaire said:
Brad, you are one of the very few who are well qualified to be on that show :eusa_clap
Thanks. Not quite yet, but I'm getting there!lol

astaire said:
Just wondering why you mention the year 1944 for Dobbs Guild Edge Twenty?

That was the first year for the name Guild Edge, but it had obviously been around for decades. To borrow from Shakespeare, "That which we call a Cavanagh Edge, by any other name..."

Brad

Ryleemydude

New in Town
Got this at the thrift store today. Just looking to find out some information about it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200615_001540.jpg
    20200615_001540.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 471
  • 20200615_000518.jpg
    20200615_000518.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 457
  • 20200615_001553.jpg
    20200615_001553.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 466
  • 20200615_001607.jpg
    20200615_001607.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 413
  • 20200615_001617.jpg
    20200615_001617.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 424
  • 20200615_001639.jpg
    20200615_001639.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 434
  • 20200615_001653.jpg
    20200615_001653.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 421
  • 20200615_001708.jpg
    20200615_001708.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 460
  • 20200615_001729.jpg
    20200615_001729.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 485
Okay i looked on the site. So what would this fedora be worth? Is it collectible?

We don’t usually appraise hats here. Your Dobbs is a nice hat. It’s size isn’t “terrible,” but larger sizes typically sell for more. The brim is also a little shorter than what many prefer. The best way to see what it’s worth is to clean it up, describe it well, and list it on ebay with good photos.

Ryleemydude

New in Town
Thanks. Its hard trying to figure out and track down some of these hats. theres not to much information that I can find. But i didnt know if I should keep the hat or just throw it away. I wouldn't want to throw away anything that's collectible. I like the brown Dobbs its pretty neat really. good condition for its age I'd say. But I don't know much about hats for nothing

Thanks. Its hard trying to figure out and track down some of these hats. theres not to much information that I can find. But i didnt know if I should keep the hat or just throw it away. I wouldn't want to throw away anything that's collectible. I like the brown Dobbs its pretty neat really. good condition for its age I'd say. But I don't know much about hats for nothing

Don't throw it away. While it doesn't appeal to me, somebody will like it. You may even double your investment!

Ryleemydude

New in Town
Don't throw it away. While it doesn't appeal to me, somebody will like it. You may even double your investment!
I was just being over dramatic...(joking) but im fascinated with the history of these hats so I'm going to continue to collect fedoras is for all that insight

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
What do you need to know?
They had brim sizes that went from 2 5/8 down to less than 2 in the ridiculous Whippet II. The pre Whippet II hats had bound brim edges wide ribbons and came in a variety of colors gray, blue, green, tan, brown and a few others I can't remember now.
The whippet dates probably back into the 30s as a name with Stetson but the one we remember most was from the 40s through the 1950s. The earlier whippets were sort of a different animal and I have yet to actually get my hands on one. So I really can't comment on the earlier ones other than what I find in the ads.
How's that? :D

Regards,

J
I have a Dobbs that looks just like a Stetson Whippet. Does anyone know what Dobbs it is?

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I have a Dobbs that looks just like a Stetson Whippet. Does anyone know what Dobbs it is?
The Hanover Square comes to mind, but bear in mind that the vast majority of hats didn't have a model name actually stamped on the sweatband or included on the liner.

Also, without knowing the block and flange it's sort of useless endeavor anyway. A wide(r) brimmed hat with a bound brim doesn't necessarily mean it's a Whippet or Hanover Square.

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
The Hanover Square comes to mind, but bear in mind that the vast majority of hats didn't have a model name actually stamped on the sweatband or included on the liner.

Also, without knowing the block and flange it's sort of useless endeavor anyway. A wide(r) brimmed hat with a bound brim doesn't necessarily mean it's a Whippet or Hanover Square.
I’ll post it…

JazzIsTvRicky

New in Town
@JazzIsTvRicky Sorry, but I don't see Whippet nor Hanover Square in that hat. Both the ribbon and binding are too narrow.
I don’t know how you could not see it. It may not be exact but “not see it” is unrealistic. Anyway it’s a beautiful hat which I don’t know what model it is from Dobbs…. Rarely seen. Patting myself on the back. I have so many jewels..

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I don’t know how you could not see it. It may not be exact but “not see it” is unrealistic. Anyway it’s a beautiful hat which I don’t know what model it is from Dobbs…. Rarely seen. Patting myself on the back. I have so many jewels..
Spend some time around here and look closer. It's not even remotely close to a Whippet or Hanover Square.

Keep stroking your own ego.

@JazzIsTvRicky the defining characteristic in f the Whippet and its clones is wide brim binding. Even at a glance this hat does not resemble a Whippet.

Most people who are new to fedoras think they all look a like. The more you are around them the more the differences stand out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo