Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
AtomicEraTom said:
Boy do I like those Browline frames! I'd like to get a pair of those as reading specs!

They can be had for relatively cheap on ebay. You just have to ask questions as to the sizing of the lenses if they don't list it, so you don't get something too small for your face. You can easily find a perfect pair for $3.00 to $45. It all depends on how much you are willing to shell out and how patient you are. That particular pair was only $6.00. Right now that style is pretty abundant so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding exactly what you want.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones said:
They can be had for relatively cheap on ebay. You just have to ask questions as to the sizing of the lenses if they don't list it, so you don't get something too small for your face. You can easily find a perfect pair for $3.00 to $45. It all depends on how much you are willing to shell out and how patient you are. That particular pair was only $6.00. Right now that style is pretty abundant so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding exactly what you want.

Cheers!

Dan

Thanks Dan! I will have to look hard, I have a pretty good sized noggin! Even Aviators look small on me :(

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Then you'll most likely want a 46-48mm wide lens. That should put it around 1 3/4" to 2" wide. If they don't list the measurements on the ones that you are interested in, be sure to ask them to send you a measurement. I'm sure most of them will get an answer to you ASAP. I did see one listing that I think still has a couple of days on it that had 2" wide lenses. If I find them in my searches I'll PM it to you. All you would have to do is put your Rx in them. Chango-Presto new specs! :)

Cheers!

Dan

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Oooh, I've got the magnet, too. It's wonderful! And powerful enough that it stays in place. I was inducted in October and wore it to all of the functions for which I had to appear at college after I got it. I've also got lapel pins from Sigma Kappa Delta and Psi Beta, and neither of those are anywhere as nice (the SKD pin is this weird, vertical slip-lock pin like an employee nametag, which is super difficult to pin. Psi Beta is a traditional lapel pin).

Anywho, back on topic... don't suppose there's anyone out there with any crafty ideas?

Kinney

New in Town
You might check out the Moscot Originals collection. They carry several frames that look similar to those found during this time period. The Miltzen frame is even described as first being introduced during the 30s. Here is a link to that frame.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
P3 for Large Heads

I'm hoping someone can help me track down a P3 eyeglass frame for a large head-- 23.75 inch circumference, to be specific, 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 hat size, if that helps any. To be super specific, I need the lenses to be about 48-50mm across and no larger than 45mm in height. Any bridge 18 or above is acceptable.

I've been scouring the net, up to and including eBay, but, the ones I find that suit my lens size requirements have slightly too-narrow hinge-to-hinge measurements; and the ones with a hinge-to-hinge that would work have too-large lenses. These would be absolutely perfect-- but the hinge-to-hinge is just a tad narrow.

I've also tried tracking down the manufacturer who supplies them to the US Navy (as apparently P3 are still standard issue for submarine personnel) but to no avail. I'm quickly running out of places to look!

MisterGrey said:
Wire rims and steel rims were the most popular frames in the 1930s and early 1940s. Steel rims were, as the name implies, naked steel, which were very durable but also heavier than wire rims. Wire rims had the advantage of looking nicer (with gold and silver options), being lighter-weight, and being malleable (although the most common shapes of the period were round and oval, with the P3 coming around circa WWII, theoretically an experienced optometrist could mold the frame into any shape the wearer wished). The drawback of wire rim frames was that they weren't as durable as steel rims.

Steel-rimmed glasses

Typical wire-rimmed glasses of the era

The 1930s also saw the end of the "Zylo" trend that had begun in the last two decades of the 18th century. This involved wire or steel rimmed glasses being partially wrapped in a malleable plastic, which served both an aesthetic purpose and also provided a second means of reinforcement to keep the lenses held in place. If you're going for a more "European-cultured" look, Zylo remained popular overseas until after WWII. Picture of Zylo-wrapped gold wire rim glasses

If you're a fan of the look but want/need to go modern-yet-period-appropriate instead of authentic vintage, there are several manufacturers who make glasses that are designed to replicate the look.

The late 1930s through the end of the 1940s saw some innovations in eyeglass frames, and was one of the first major periods during which eyeglasses branched out in terms of design and aesthetics. What we now think of as "half-rimmed" glasses became popular during this period, although rather than being held into the top half of a pair of frames with wire (as they are now), the lenses were actually screwed/bolted to the frame. Up until fairly recently these were called "rimless," grouped together with what we today know as rimless (and which at the time were often referred to as "three piece" glasses).

"Rimless"/Half-rim glasses

1947 also saw the debut of Shuron's Browline glasses, which combined a plastic top half of the frame with a metal bottom portion, the perfect fusion of old-world metal and the new wave of high-quality plastic which were to become a defining part of 1950s industrial America. They became very popular very quickly in the late 40s and became the best selling style of the '50s; they're a pretty versatile frame for period attire, as the frame retained its popularity through the first half of the 1960s and didn't really completely "die" until the middle-to-late 1970s.

Browline Frames

At the risk of invading your privacy, perhaps you could show us a (bigger) picture of your face? It would better help me (and other users) to help you get the right pair of vintage (or at least period correct) frames for your face and purposes.

Very informative post, MisterGrey. Thanks for going to the trouble. People who know of what they speak, can clearly articulate that knowledge, and are willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us are a real asset to a forum such as this one. Thanks again.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Thanks!

I had, at one point, wanted to be an optometrist; I've always had a fixation on eyeglasses since I had to start wearing them in junior high. So, of course, this is an aspect of vintage attire to which I always pay special attention.

I'd originally wanted to show a photo of Bonnie Parker's (of Bonnie and Clyde's) eyeglasses as an example of wire rims, as hers are a noteworthy example of period eyeglasses. However, seeing as how she was wearing them when she was killed, I thought that the image of blood-splattered specs might be a bit much for the lounge.

The curious can seek google "bonnie parker eyeglasses" and easily find a photo. Gnarly stains aside, they're a great look at 30s eyeglasses; they're oval, as opposed to the more popular round, and feature a filagree pattern not only on the arms but also the inside of the frames. One can also see in the photo that Parker's nose pieces (well, nose piece-- one appears to have been broken off in the ambush) were mother of pearl, which was standard at the time; they were harder than modern nosepads, and many people complained that they gouged the bridge of their nose. (Wearing glasses could be a very unpleasant experience in the Golden Era)!

univibe88

One Too Many
You were in the right place (Optometrist Attic) but you need to just look around a bit more :D

http://www.optometristattic.com/7173_Optometrist_Attic.htm

Check out these from Shuron. If you are not familiar with Shuron, they are company who has been making glasses for decades. If you get some, they will be brand new but made the exact same way since the day they were first designed. And they are made in the USA too!

If you aren't sure of your size you can contact Shuron directly and they will send you 3-4 pairs of different sizes to try on.

You can also get them in gold http://www.optometristattic.com/7205_Optometrist_Attic.htm

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Glad you like them Norton. I've been wearing the same style (ArtCraft Rimways) with the cable temples for about 15 yrs now.

Nice thing with the traditional styles from the Golden Era is that if you like the style you can keep going back to it year after year :D With the modern "fashion" styles if you decide you like it but have waited six months to purchase an additional pair, then its oops, too late, no longer available :eek:

univibe88

One Too Many
Call or email Shuron directly: https://secure.shuron.com/contact.htm

They will sell you one set of frames, but send you 3-4 of different sizes to try on. Just send back the ones you don't want, or send back all of the if for some reason you realize that you don't like them.

Shuron is very easy to work with. They sent me 4 pair of combo frames that I tried on for size. I then sent them all back and had my eye doc order them for me so I could use my insurance allowance.

Edward

Bartender
WideBrimm said:
Nice thing with the traditional styles from the Golden Era is that if you like the style you can keep going back to it year after year :D With the modern "fashion" styles if you decide you like it but have waited six months to purchase an additional pair, then its oops, too late, no longer available :eek:

Ha, yes.... a distinct bonus! Seems to me that eyeglass fashions change as frequently as clothing in terms of what is available, meaning that if you're familiar with the stock, and bearing in mind the average person really only will change frames at the most every two years, you can probably datre the last time someone bought glasses by their frames in many cases.... lol

It strikes me that rimless glasses also must have an advantage that to a fair degree they're not limited by the size of lense or shape of lense you put in them, so they are that bit more flexible too.... I quite fancy a pair of Shuron Regis in the future, but that'll be once I can afford to have my four pairs of Ronsir Zyls lensed up first! :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
Interesting site, John - they look like the ultimat source for the Dr Jones glasses....

My first pair of Shuron Ronsir Zyls to be lensed up arrived yesterday - I love them! Cordova and gold, with cable temples. Love them!

Edward

Bartender
Well, the first pair of Ronsirs are lensed and on my face - and I love them! Cordova and gold, with cable temples. Very comfy, lense size feels less odd than I thought it might, after years of progressively smaller lenses. My new prescription is somewhat weaker too (eyesight slowly improving. :) ), which has had the odd result that I suddenly feel taller wearing them. [huh]

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Ah, pics soon, please!

I'm currently waiting on a pair of frames I got as a graduation reward to myself.

09735048.jpg

I tried a pair on at the mall and was surprised to find that, while round frames generally look crappy on me, the dimensions of this particular P3 don't look bad on me!

Pics forthcoming as soon as I get them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925