Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

maximiliani

New in Town
I have Shuron sidewinders, they're awesome. A lot of people my age are wearing Ray Ban's and black lookalikes but I think sidewinders have that different look with the tortoiseshell pattern and keyhole bridge. I've gotten tons of compliments on them. I got the frames for 60 bucks I think.

205225.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Here's a recent pic of my hubby in his Shuron Ronsir Zyl (ebony with black chassis) - I can't say enough good things about how easy it was to purchase these from shuron directly. We're ordering him a second pair next month, as well as a pair of one of the ladies styles for me.

4314132408_5c88da759f.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I've been on the look out for a pair of Algha Windsor frames in about a 40mm size. Silver with the tortuga covering around the frames. They'll be my secondary cary around glasses, since I only need them for reading & computer work. I don't alway carry my regular pair with me.
Similar to these, but without the steep price tag.
39751angsmallxe9.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The other day whilst downtown I was approached by a spruiker handing out leaflets for "Mr Fisk the optometrists" announcing retro style frames for $5.00, deadstock items, . I went in and enquired if they had any round frames? "Oh yes!, we do, because we were just laughing at them" came the reply, I purchased them!"

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
BinkieBaumont said:
"The other day whilst downtown I was approached by a spruiker handing out leaflets for "Mr Fisk the optometrists" announcing retro style frames for $5.00, deadstock items, . I went in and enquired if they had any round frames? "Oh yes!, we do, because we were just laughing at them" came the reply, I purchased them!"

As the saying goes: "One man's junk is another man's treasure." Sounds like you got the last laugh. :) :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ok, HONEST opinions here!

Today, I spent most of my time cleaning out the clutter in my bedroom. While doing so, I came across these readers I picked up for cheap sometime in the past. I can't decide if they look vintagey or poser/hipster faux vintage.[huh]

What do you guys think? Honesty won't hurt my feelings in the slightest. ;)

IMG_1025.jpg

I can't decide if I made a wise investment of $4 or not. [huh] I was kicking around the idea of getting prescription lenses put in these just for a backup.

Randy

Canadave

One Too Many
theinterchange said:
...I can't decide if they look vintagey or poser/hipster faux vintage.[huh]

What do you guys think? Honesty won't hurt my feelings in the slightest. ;)...

Hipster, but I like them. They seem a little too big for you to be authentic vintage.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Canadave said:
Hipster, but I like them. They seem a little too big for you to be authentic vintage.

Yeah, that was my issue, they seemed a bit big. Too much of the "Clark Kent, hey I'm wearing a disguise!" look.:p Thanks, I just needed confirmation of what I thought.

Randy

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Salut,

Went and bought a pair-o-specs off the bay on a gander and it arrived today. Condition is fair, but my question is do you chaps and chapettes think it worth getting prescriptions fitted would be worth it? Oh and it cost 18 quid if its anything.

me_-1.jpg

me_.png

Any opinions appreciated! (even any observations in regards to my strangely egg-shaped head)

univibe88

One Too Many
Honest opinion, those frames are too small for you. The style works for you, but you need a wider frame. Ideally you'd like your pupil centered in each lens. In your top picture your right eye is centered, but your left eye is too far to the outside of the lens.

Canadave

One Too Many
Second opinion: I think they're good. They are a bit small, but I think that if your optician thinks he/she could get the prescription to work, and you like them, you should go for it.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Glasses

What kind of glasses do you think my great-grandfather (on the right) is wearing and where could I get a pair like it? The picture was taken in April 1945.
grandpah.jpg

Those appear to be transparent plastic. I've heard opticians refer to it as "crystal." I once had a similar pair, but in a larger overall size.

Your great-grandfather's specs look to be of a common style for the era. But just because they were in plentiful supply way back when doesn't mean that finding a pair like them in your size, and in wearable condition, will be easy. Still, I'd bet they're out there somewhere. I recommend you show that photo to an optician (in a smaller, non-chain shop, preferably) and ask him or her what might be had. Some of them know of sources we non-professionals would never find.

There are online dealers in vintage eyeglass frames. Some have literally thousands of pairs in inventory. I've yet to buy a pair from any of those sources, so I can't recommend for or against any of them. But they ARE out there.

EDIT: This is the first of several sources listed under a Google search for "vintage eyeglasses." http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, I'd go with clear, perspex (or similar compound) sunglasses. The thing I've found with original plastic / bakelite type stuff from back then is that it hasn't aged well - that stuff can go brittle or even crumble with age. Might sound crazy, but a lot of those styles were revived in the 80s (some of them oversized, some not), except in more modern plastics that will hold up better to daily use. Cheaper, too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner