Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

bombin

Familiar Face
If you have the original cables and the frames are gold filled, then there should be no problem as they will last a lifetime.
If you are using modern replacement temples, then the covers are a good idea as these are only plated.
Richard

Thanks, Richard. Yes, they're gold-filled. So they shouldn't be a problem then? That's good to know.

(I suppose the replacement cables at Optometrist Attic are just gold-coloured and not actually gold-filled?)

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I have these glasses, but they aren't vintage. I got them in January, so they are pretty new. They are made by a company called Bellagio. Would these glasses be included browlines? The bottom of the lenses are not covered with anything, and they have built in plastic nose pads.
U7acfVQ.jpg

q81wdAu.jpg

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I've wore glasses w/ cable temples for 35 years and while I agree with you regarding the compromising of the appearance, I would still recommend covers on the temples. The cables can really bite into the sensitive area behind your ears and once irritated, can really be a painful nuisance. This is especially true in the summer months.
Retomoto

Last edited:

bombin

Familiar Face
I've wore glasses w/ cable temples for 35 years and while I agree with you regarding the compromising of the appearance, I would still recommend covers on the temples. The cables can really bite into the sensitive area behind your ears and once irritated, can really be a painful nuisance. This is especially true in the summer months.
Retomoto

Where do you get your covers from?

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I did not wear them for years and suffered although later was able to get them through a industrial safety glass supplier which supplied my "Shop " glasses before I retired.

BTW, Did your eye doctor fit you for the frame you purchased or did you order these on your own?
Retomoto

Where do you get your covers from?

bombin

Familiar Face
I did not wear them for years and suffered although later was able to get them through a industrial safety glass supplier which supplied my "Shop " glasses before I retired.

I see that the Optometrist Attic carries them too.

BTW, Did your eye doctor fit you for the frame you purchased or did you order these on your own?
Retomoto

I bought old frames off eBay. I'm having glass lenses put in and the optometrist said he would fit them when the lenses are done.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
bombin: I've been wearing (Art Craft) Rimways with the cable temples for over 20 years now. You can get the clear plastic covers from your optometrist (should be free or a nominal charge when you buy the lenses). They do help keep the temples from irritating your ears. After a few months the plastic covers get brittle and eventually break into pieces. At that time, your ears should be used to the temples, and you can dispense with them if you want. From then on you can clean you glasses frames from time to time by soaking them in gentle, soapy clean dish water with an old tooth brush. That will clean the grease and dirt from the temples and nose pads, and keep them looking new for a long time.

bombin

Familiar Face
WideBrimm: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask my optometrist about the covers when I go to pick up the spectacles. (I suppose, in a pinch, any heat shrink tubing might work too). Thanks also for the cleaning suggestion ... I might try that for my old/current frames too.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Ok you get to a certain age and you think I'll need glasses one day and you put it off, and last time I had an eye test they said " you're border line needing a prescription for reading in your left eye" so obviously I ignored them then day before yesterday whilst out and about I bought these from the 1950's? made by LEWCO England, so I cleaned them up and tried them on like you do and lo and behold I can read very small print quite a bit better than without them, happily they fit me and she who must be obeyed too and she can read with them better too...so we've got our first pair of 'readers' aT 46 for a fiver and they're well made and vintage so all good.

2ypj96f.jpg
i3848w.jpg

4t8qpu.jpg
2qs8obo.jpg

xcrfia.jpg

bombin

Familiar Face
further questions on cable temples

I got my cable temple spectacles back from the optician yesterday; I had him adjust the temples a bit (and put on covers, just in case) and they seemed to fit ok, but with continued wear they're becoming more and more uncomfortable (on the ears mainly).

Is this likely to just be getting used to new frames discomfort? Or do they probably need further adjustment?

A related question - how difficult is it to adjust the temples oneself? (My wife has a set of jewellery tools and offered to try to adjust it.)

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Hi bombin - just speaking for myself, I find cable temple specs do make the backs of my ears sore with use over a day. I have other glasses that I alternate with them because of this.

In terms of adjusting the temples, it depends on what adjustments you're speaking about. Tightening screws on the hinges can be done with miniature screwdrivers with great care not to strip the screw.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I have no problem with mine. At first my ears became sore, but once I got used to them everything was fine.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If the metal cable irritates behind the ears, just put a thin coat of varnish over them. Makes it also smoother and it still is flexible.

bombin

Familiar Face
@stuffsmith: No, I was talking about adjusting the shape of the cables, not anythign with the screws.

@Rudie: how long before your ears weren't sore? Do you recall?

@Fastuni: like nail varnish or?

[Also, a vaguely related question - these 1920s era frames came with their original case - but I notice that I have to somewhat compress the cables in order to be able to close the case. Is this normal/expected/acceptable? Or will that affect the fitting of the cables?]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112