Vintage Eyeglasses

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Matt Deckard, May 5, 2005.

1. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Congrats. The frames are dynamite.

busmatt likes this.
  2. Stringmaster

Stringmaster One of the Regulars

Any idea who made Roy's glasses? They appear to be a grey tortoise and metal frame. I dig 'em!

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  3. Retromoto

Retromoto One of the Regulars

Pretty neat, As they don't seem to fit his face(ears) well, perhaps a recycled item he had lens made to suit his prescription.
    G.

4. Edward

Edward Bartender

Agreed. If you intend to wear original aviators, carefully remove and store the original lenses and have them fitted with modern ones (rx prescription or otherwise, as needed) - don't take risks with your eyesight for the sake of an authenticity that many might not even notice if they handled them. THis is easier, of course, with designes like Aviators where you don't have to heat plastic frames to fit lenses (one reason I have tended to prefer browlines for many years is that they can keep being re-lensed for a long time).

Royohboy likes this.
  5. Royohboy

Royohboy New in Town

Thanks for the input, guys! The reason I asked was that a friend of mine really hurt her eyes last summer with those super-cool holy-grail vintage 1960s shades; for some reason I was hoping that glass lenses vs. plastic might make a difference.

BTW, I found out an easy (but very, very inexact) way to test for UV protection: Shine a UV pen light through the lens and onto a scrawl made with a UV ink pen. The more the scrawl is visible, the less the UV protection of your shades. This will, of course, only give you a very rough idea.

It only gives you a _very_ rough idea, but by testing against a known pair of quality sunglasses I found out that most of my vintage sunglasses have little (if any) UV protection, but one pair I found for cheap probably isn't as vintage as I thought.

Edward likes this.
  6. ConsiderMeMilesDavis

ConsiderMeMilesDavis One of the Regulars

Have you handled a pair of Dolabany Arnold's? I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm apprehensive to purchase without seeing a pair in person, first.

For example, I own a pair of official reproduction Tart Arnel's, and Moscot Lemtosh. The Tart's acetate thickness is much, much more substantial than the Moscot, and I assume they'll be more durable in the long run. Plus, the Moscot's have flat shields (lame).

7. fabiovenhorst

fabiovenhorst One Too Many

I've got this vintage 1920's frames that are identical to the ones my grandpa's wore back in the same era.
    650B0953-EAD7-472D-8F1C-CCDA3F13F811.jpg

Wedding.jpg

img-6cut.jpg

2C895509-0C32-4420-BD5B-73103FAD8BB6.jpg

8. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

Interesting. I've never seen a pair with xylo on the nose piece before.

9. Edward Reed

Edward Reed New in Town

fabiovenhorst likes this.
  10. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

FanTAStic!

11. fabiovenhorst

fabiovenhorst One Too Many

Short Balding Guy likes this.