Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage first names no longer in use today or not popular anymore

Renault

One Too Many
The gal who used to serve the Cokes at the drug store when I was growing up was named Cora. She was a high school classmate of my mother's, and I've never known anyone else by that name.

My new, 3 month old granddaughter is named Cora, full name Cora Jane! And she is beautiful!!!!!!!!!

My mom is Mildred (as is my MIL) and mom's sisters are Lola and Lois!

R

My roommate's Mom is named Lola. She originally like the song Lola by the Kinks until her dear son showed her the lyrics. The song is about a cross dresser....

Later

This is the Lola song that always comes to mind

[video=youtube;y6gyBThz1fQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6gyBThz1fQ&feature=fvwrel[/video]

I've never known an Otis before. Just makes me think of the town drunk on Andy Griffith.
One more thing we have in common, Tom. Our cat is named Earleen, but we long ago shortened it to Earl. She doesn't seem to mind.

Our dog? He's an Otis. The only human Otis of my acquaintance, or at least the only one I can think of right off the top of my head, went by Peewee. I had known him a good while -- years, actually --before I learned his name was actually Otis, and I recall learning that from his son, who was (is) close to my age. I assume that old Peewee/Otis has since gone the way of all things, seeing how he wasn't young when I knew him, and that's going back 30-plus years. So yeah, Otis is another of those names you just don't hear much anymore.

Derek WC

Banned
In my opinion the loveliest name for a gal is Janet - unfortunately they take Jane instead.
I also rather like Dick, Julia, Martha, Mary.

Why don't folks pick good names for their kids, instead of everybody naming them Cody or Zack, or Sam and Isabell (Isabella is nice)? I don't necissarily dislike these names, I just get tired of seeing them everywhere.

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Lola!!!

I don't know any Lolas, but it seemed like a pretty popular-ish name back in the day.

I named my dog Lola because when I got her Bombshell (1933) was my favourite movie :D

Lola is a pretty name - I heard the song the other day and thought it'd be a hard one to live with these days! Although I did work with a girl called Lola a couple of years ago. She was Nigerian though, and it was short for something else.

Oh, I see. Pretty! Australia doesn't have the large Spanish-speaking population like you guys do, so I don't hear it often.

Hotbake, I know a couple of Italian and Irish women called Dolores in Australia.

McVolke

New in Town
I've scrolled through and I think I can add a name that hasn't been mentioned yet. My grandmother's name was Hattie. I have no idea if it was short for something or not, but I've always liked her name. As middle names I have my father's maternal grandmother's maiden name and my mother's maternal grandmother's maiden name. So my middle names are Godbold and Lincoln. As a kid I hated my name, now I wouldn't change it for anything. My dad is named after his grandfather, Donald.

Just out of curiosity has anyone ever heard the name Godbold (as a last name)?

Last edited:

rcfko

Familiar Face
My daughter's great grandmother's name was Germaine, I don't think I know anyone else by that name. Also, my daughter's name is Iola, once popular in the 20's and 30's, is not used much anymore either.

djd

Practically Family
Hattie McDaniel - great comedienne who enlivened many a Warner Bros flick in the 30s and 40s- not to mention Gone with the Wind :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hattie is short for Harriet. Both names seldom seen these days. My great grandmother (the one who saddled my grandmother with Ethelwyn) was Harriet, and called Hattie. She was born in 1841. One my my great aunts was also Harriet, but just stayed Harriet. So I think the Hattie thing was pretty Victorian.

djd

Practically Family
I seem to remember that she was the first arfro-American to sing on film? I could be wrong!

I loved her in Flynn's They Died With Their Boots On

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy